Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 04:54 PM

10 posts, read 22,285 times

Advertisements

I will be done with college soon and I know it is time for me to 'leave the nest'. I am excited and ready to grow and learn about the real world. I have lived in Southeast MI all my life with my immediate family and with my extended family in close proximity. Ideally, as much as I love Michigan's beauty, I want to move out of state.. or at least I think I do. See, I think the white winters are gorgeous and I enjoyed it even more as a child, but now after a couple months it gets old. Also the economy is not that great as we know. I would love somewhere that gets a little more then 3-4 months of warm but I know that place would be far and I would miss my family, plus I am not to fond of airplanes , (I mean I will fly I just don't really like it).

So my questions; where would be a good diverse place in MI for a African American single female to move to be far enough, (from the southeast vicinity), but close enough to not get home sick?

Or, do you think I should take the plunge and move out of state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 06:42 PM

494 posts, read 802,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIgiirl View Post
I will be done with college soon and I know it is time for me to 'leave the nest'. I am excited and ready to grow and learn about the real world. I have lived in Southeast MI all my life with my immediate family and with my extended family in close proximity. Ideally, as much as I love Michigan's beauty, I want to move out of state.. or at least I think I do. See, I think the white winters are gorgeous and I enjoyed it even more as a child, but now after a couple months it gets old. Also the economy is not that great as we know. I would love somewhere that gets a little more then 3-4 months of warm but I know that place would be far and I would miss my family, plus I am not to fond of airplanes , (I mean I will fly I just don't really like it).

So my questions; where would be a good diverse place in MI for a African American single female to move to be far enough, (from the southeast vicinity), but close enough to not get home sick?

Or, do you think I should take the plunge and move out of state?
Economy is not that great? Per who? Ofcourse i suppose it may depend on where you are. West Michigan ( see Grand Rapids ) is boom town right now as is a few other areas here in W.MI. Very diverse as is Kalamazoo, BC, etc. Granted i am not as sure about jobs in Kalamazoo? In the end Grand Rapids probably offers all of what you are looking for with it's size/Diversity and all but minus the craziness of Detroit/SE MI. Only a couple of hours away as well. Just remember it does snow alot more on this side of the state especially the closer you are to and west of US 131.

Agree about airplanes as well.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:15 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,142,569 times
Howell?

Old 05-24-2013, 07:32 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,929,948 times
Definetely check out Grand Rapids scene for a different experience than Southeastern MI yet still close to home and has a decent amount of young professionals. Winter temperatures and length are about the same, but as said they get a lot more snow over there. The summers though are that much more awesome being closer to all the Lake Michigan towns. Plus, Chicago is a closer drive too for weekend trips.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:17 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,142,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
Definetely check out Grand Rapids scene for a different experience than Southeastern MI yet still close to home and has a decent amount of young professionals. Winter temperatures and length are about the same, but as said they get a lot more snow over there. The summers though are that much more awesome being closer to all the Lake Michigan towns. Plus, Chicago is a closer drive too for weekend trips.
Ditto, seriously, if I were young and just starting out in this economy, I would head to GR. You can be in the city, the burbs or even go rural.

Though there are 100's of colleges, the job market appears healthy. The city has a vibrant culture compared to the east side of Michigan.
OMG, the traffic is wild around GR and even the surface streets are on jam throughout the week.

IF you are semi-serious about outta-state---You have to look at Chicago. hands down the best choice for a first time leaving the nester fron SE Michigan.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:45 PM

2,948 posts, read 7,007,285 times
My vote would be take a look at Chicago.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:59 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,071,918 times
Maybe it's just me, but for a young person barely out of college, who has lived with and around family all of his/her life? Chicago seems huge, and a lot to take on for someone who's lived at home like that. And being a mom, of course I would worry about the crime, etc.- there are so many other places to go, some of the other suggestions seem like a better choice- you know, wade in the water before you try to swim, and all that- lol.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:01 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,071,918 times
Geez, I just looked at the OP's name, sorry about that- HER! lol

Old 05-28-2013, 06:52 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,283,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIgiirl View Post
I would love somewhere that gets a little more then 3-4 months of warm but I know that place would be far and I would miss my family, plus I am not to fond of airplanes , (I mean I will fly I just don't really like it).
I don't know what part of SE Michigan you live in, but I live there too and we get more than "3-4 months of warm"... It's more like we get 3-4 months of hot and about 6 months of true "warm", as in you don't need a coat and the grass is green and flowers blooming, May-October. You wouldn't have to go far to find a place with more than 3-4 warm months out of the year, because you're already there, but if you really mean "more than 3-4 months of 'hot'", then head south, just be prepared for many months of "hot and sweaty".

Old 05-28-2013, 07:43 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,263,411 times
The Michigan economy is not great? What was your major? Newsflash - Michigan's unemployment rate now is better than Illinois (Chicago), California and even rivals that of Atlanta/places down south. No reason you shouldn't find a job here. Sounds like your attitude is setting yourself up for failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan