Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about same sex marriage coming to Michigan?
Same sex marriage should be legal in Michigan 20 55.56%
Same sex marriages from other states should be recognized but Michigan shouldn't conduct them 0 0%
I'm indifferent 4 11.11%
The same sex marriage ban should not be repealed 12 33.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 12:29 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,596,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
That everyone has equal rights or that you are a straight white male?

The former. I was expecting to get all the breaks in life, and full equality really stunts that expectation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 12:32 PM

21,120 posts, read 19,703,590 times
Quote:
Give the gays, lesbians, trans-gendered and bi-sexuals EQUAL rights and pretty soom EVERYONE will want them.
This raises a good point. Why not let bisexuals marry one man and one woman? How about polygamists? Marriage between relatives (siblings, parent-child, aunt/uncle-niece/nephew? How about lowering the minimum age for the pedophilia supporters? How about people who would like to marry an animal? How about animals marrying?

If we have been doing it wrong for the past 10,000 years who is to say what is right?

Old 05-31-2013, 05:14 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
This raises a good point. Why not let bisexuals marry one man and one woman? How about polygamists? Marriage between relatives (siblings, parent-child, aunt/uncle-niece/nephew? How about lowering the minimum age for the pedophilia supporters? How about people who would like to marry an animal? How about animals marrying?

If we have been doing it wrong for the past 10,000 years who is to say what is right?

I married my Irises this spring. It was a wonderful ceremony.

How in the world does equal marriage rights for LGBT become a conversation about pedophiles? or Beastiality?

Next thing we know gun rights will become a conversation about targeting stupid people with tea bags stapled to their foreheads?

I believe this is the exact same argument they used in the 1900---1960s to ban INTER RACIAL marriages...Finally we got that one right....There is still hope that even after 10,000 years we will FINALLY get the EQUAL MARRIAGE concept right as well.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:26 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Well, you can argue the point, bash me, or whatever, but I for one will ALWAYS vote against these types of bills. I have my reasons and don't care to discuss why because this is a topic that NOBODY changes their minds about, they just get pissy with those who disagree with their stand. I don't care to get involved with that foolish behavior. The state has an amendment to the State Constitution that defines marriage, if the majority wants to change that first, then votes in same sex marriage, that's fine... but I will still vote against it.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:34 PM

15 posts, read 31,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Well, you can argue the point, bash me, or whatever, but I for one will ALWAYS vote against these types of bills. I have my reasons and don't care to discuss why because this is a topic that NOBODY changes their minds about, they just get pissy with those who disagree with their stand. I don't care to get involved with that foolish behavior. The state has an amendment to the State Constitution that defines marriage, if the majority wants to change that first, then votes in same sex marriage, that's fine... but I will still vote against it.
I will not bash you, because everyone has the right to their own opinion. However, I will always argue the point. I will argue the point as long as I have to, until there is full equality in this state and the U.S.. I also won't get pissy with you because once again, you have the right to believe what you do. The bills include a repeal to the amendment to the state constitution (see my earlier links) so they would be changing that first.

The one point I would like to make that does prove you wrong is the fact that people don't change their minds. This is outright false. If people never changed their minds, then approval for same sex marriage wouldn't have risen 10% in ONE YEAR in our very own state. These statistics will only rise as the older generation passes on, as marriage approval stands at 80% or more between the 18-29 age bracket. Support for same-sex marriage reaches all-time high, poll finds - Washington Post

Old 05-31-2013, 07:53 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Statistics are influenced more by the way a question is written than what the question really is. Anyone who has taken a statistics course knows that. A 10% rise in acceptance doesn't mean there really was that large of a jump, but instead, just a different question asked.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:21 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Oh contraire mon frair. I for one have changed my mind on so many things, and this very topic being one.
There was a time in my youth that I thought I was so far right and uptight that if it wasn't found between Genesis and Revelations it was dead wrong.
Fortunately, I realized what was really wrong was the interpretation of the same. Sooner -- sometimes later -- everyone questions established reality and either continues the fantasy or accepts that we are all people and we deserve to be afforded the same opportunities as any other human.

It doesn't matter how many vote against it, all we need to do is change enough minds to be in the majority.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:43 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,125,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post

Tell that to King Solomon and his 700 wives and 300 concubines.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:51 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,445,611 times
Quote:
Oh contraire mon frair. I for one have changed my mind on so many things, and this very topic being one.
There was a time in my youth that I thought I was so far right and uptight that if it wasn't found between Genesis and Revelations it was dead wrong.
Fortunately, I realized what was really wrong was the interpretation of the same. Sooner -- sometimes later -- everyone questions established reality and either continues the fantasy or accepts that we are all people and we deserve to be afforded the same opportunities as any other human.

It doesn't matter how many vote against it, all we need to do is change enough minds to be in the majority.
You don't have to be a conservative or religious to realize homosexuality is a mockery of nature. Common sense would dictate such. That said, homosexuals marrying is just the latest trinket from the minority frothing with rebellion from anything and eveything having to do with God, authority, and tradition. They have the media as their sword, and they won't stop until they've turned this world into a lawless, souless, Godless cesspool of incessant rebellion. Gay boy scouts? Are you freekin' kidding me? Now we're encouraging our 7 year old kids to be gay? Society: thy food is thy self.

Ok, I vented. I'm not that naive, though....I see what's happening. Gay marriage is going to be legal just about everywhere within 5 years. There is no stopping it. Their formula is ingenious - "Fall in, or suffer our public flogging.....and we DO have the power. We will boycott you, we will expose your bigotry and hatred, we will TELL EVERYONE what a horrible person you are for not instantly reneging on the values you and your families have held for generations. In short - WE WILL GET YOU!"

Militant, in every sense of the word.......but forever the minority, no matter how many movie stars and journalists they get to lead their charge. Coexist? How? With you demonizing me simply because I disagree with what you've set out to accomplish? Please. It's bad enough I'm going to have to sit my kids down and explain to them why Mrs. Taylor calls that woman over there her "wife", or why Johnny from that 6th grade class keeps walking down the hall holding that other boys hand.

I don't hate you. I will work with you. I will talk to you. I will eat with you. I will walk with you.

....but I will never agree with you.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:04 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,002,191 times
The ironic part is you complain about people demonizing you all the while spewing multiple paragraphs demonizing gays. Nobody is asking you to agree with them. They are asking for the same rights as every American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan