Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2013, 09:14 PM

28 posts, read 78,419 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm new to Michigan. I moved here from PA and now live in the Kalamazoo area. I heard great things about Gull lake and have been looking forward to enjoying it this summer. Today my husband and I and our 8 month old drove over an hour around the lake trying to find a public beach. There isn't any? There are private homes all over congesting the shoreline. It's very disappointing. I read an article online and it insinuates only the wealthy can enjoy this lake. Really?

Can someone tell me if there's a beach? What my options are?

I'd love to write a letter to share my opinion and hopefully influence change so there can be a beach with some sand for people to enjoy the lake, but who do I write that letter to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 10:26 PM

494 posts, read 804,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi81 View Post
Hi! I'm new to Michigan. I moved here from PA and now live in the Kalamazoo area. I heard great things about Gull lake and have been looking forward to enjoying it this summer. Today my husband and I and our 8 month old drove over an hour around the lake trying to find a public beach. There isn't any? There are private homes all over congesting the shoreline. It's very disappointing. I read an article online and it insinuates only the wealthy can enjoy this lake. Really?

Can someone tell me if there's a beach? What my options are?

I'd love to write a letter to share my opinion and hopefully influence change so there can be a beach with some sand for people to enjoy the lake, but who do I write that letter to?
WOW..I never knew this. I have driven around it a few times ( beautiful for sure ) but never thought about if it had a public access beach. They do offer two boat ramps for the general public. My guess would be the state of Michigan is who to contact? Doubt the people who live around the lake would go for it considering how long it has been the way it is. Not sure they even have the space ( most of it seems to be privately owned ) to accommodate much of a public beach which could be a big reason why they do not have one?

BTW.. Goguac Lake ( In Battle Creek ) has a nice public beach.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:54 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,931,116 times
Gull Lake is totally in private hands except for the two small township parks north and east. Swimming is allowed there. Try Fort Custer rec area which has a beach and bathhouse here on Eagle Lake.
http://maps.google.com/?ll=42.328331...16512&t=h&z=17

Few of Michigan's inland lakes are sandy.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 06-08-2013 at 11:06 PM..

Old 06-15-2013, 09:55 PM

89 posts, read 336,848 times
There is a nice public park with a sandy beach on the east side of Gull Lake. It's called Ross Township Park and there is a parking fee. Also on the north end of the lake is the DNR public access site on M-43 where a fee is also charged to launch a boat. I'm pretty sure you can swim and picnic there too. That's the only two places I know of for public access. When I owned a boat we'd put in at the DNR site then anchor in a shallow sandy area on the southwest end of the lake and swim there. I know there are spots on the lake that are over 100 feet deep.

GiGi81, Welcome to Michigan and Kalamazoo! Have you been up to Gun Lake yet? Yankee Springs State Park on Gun Lake has three beaches. HarryBTL is right on about Goguac Lake in Battle Creek...a nice place to swim.

Old 10-11-2016, 07:50 AM

212 posts, read 417,551 times
Wow, when I lived at the VA in the early 1970's we went to a nice large public beach and picnic area on the east shore of Gull Lake. I guess that is the Ross Township Park area. MY dad had a boat that he moored someplace other than that area on the lake. I just googled the lake and it looks like the entire shoreline has houses now. It's really changed in all these years since. When I lived there Eagle Lake was part of Ft Custer and we could go there to swim and it would be almost vacant. We didn't like to go there very much because it was weedy, but quiet.

Last edited by mortisha; 10-11-2016 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: Needed to clarify some sentences I wrote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan