Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 05:38 PM

6 posts, read 19,653 times

Advertisements

Just curious, as I am the product of a interracial union black dad/ white mother and ran across this article saying that Lansing Michigan has the highest percentage of people who checked both black and white as their ethnicity on the 2010 census.

Is Lansing the interracial love capital of America? | theGrio

In America in 2011, the idea of being “biracial’ has taken on a new meaning. The city that may be the best example of this new racial identity is Lansing, which has the highest percentage of blacks who identify with different races.

Any people who have lived in Lansing or who have spent time there care to chime in, are interracial black white couples an epidemic there, and why do you think that may be the case, I assume it is mostly the stereotypical black man white women situation as in the case of my parents.

There is also a ton of half black half white people in the east suburb of Cleveland where i grew up.

Thanks for any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 12:30 PM

615 posts, read 1,381,776 times
Interesting pattern - the further north you go, the larger the proportion of biracial people.

I'm surprised Toledo, OH and Monroe, MI aren't on the list (perhaps Monroe id discounted as too small).

I must disagree with the use of the term "epidemic", seems somewhat pejorative.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:18 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,052,609 times
You know, being from the Lansing area, I do notice this. I don't think people really care about interracial relationships that much here. I'm not really sure why, but it does seem like relatively blue-collar mid-size cities with both sizable black and white populations are the favorites for having the highest biracial black percentages. It's possible that large factories meant an egalitarian mindset where race doesn't matter.

I do find it interesting that the article references Flint as being one of the most segregated areas in the country, while they rank #9 in the country on having the highest biracial black percent, and far more than any of the other cities with the Top 10 highest black populations. Flint has a ton of problems, but I never really thought that they had the same racial problems as the Detroit area has.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:00 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,084,670 times
As a black man, I've always felt that white women (especially BIG white women) who suffer from low self esteem, gravitate towards whoever will give them attention...and we black men LOVE us a thick woman!

Old 07-18-2013, 07:17 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,086,857 times
Since this table is based on self-reported race during the 2010 Census, any difference in racial mix or combination may be purely regional.

Also the title of this post is possibly erroneously calling people of self-reported mixed race as a result of an "interracial union" within the last generation. I'm pretty sure "interracial unions" have been an ongoing thing since the 1700s and making the assumption that any city that self-reports a higher percentage of mixed-race is therefore currently high on the "interracial black/white love scale" is probably misinterpreting data big-time.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:38 PM

20,877 posts, read 19,336,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Since this table is based on self-reported race during the 2010 Census, any difference in racial mix or combination may be purely regional.

Also the title of this post is possibly erroneously calling people of self-reported mixed race as a result of an "interracial union" within the last generation. I'm pretty sure "interracial unions" have been an ongoing thing since the 1700s and making the assumption that any city that self-reports a higher percentage of mixed-race is therefore currently high on the "interracial black/white love scale" is probably misinterpreting data big-time.
That's an interesting point. But would a black person consider their self mixed race simply because they had a white ancestor in the 1700's? If so, then pretty much every black person is mixed race.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:51 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,086,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
That's an interesting point. But would a black person consider their self mixed race simply because they had a white ancestor in the 1700's? If so, then pretty much every black person is mixed race.
Well yes, as is every white person when it comes down to it.

But I have to assume that a person's ethnicity is however they report it. So my point was, maybe black people in the Lansing area are more willing to self-identify as mixed-race than, say, someone from Denver? If that factor wasn't accounted for in the census, then any assumptions made merely on the basis of census reporting is spurious at best.

Or, you know, we could actually ditch the whole race identifier angst and move forward without taking skin color into consideration. That would be cool.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:46 AM

20,877 posts, read 19,336,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Well yes, as is every white person when it comes down to it.

But I have to assume that a person's ethnicity is however they report it. So my point was, maybe black people in the Lansing area are more willing to self-identify as mixed-race than, say, someone from Denver? If that factor wasn't accounted for in the census, then any assumptions made merely on the basis of census reporting is spurious at best.

Or, you know, we could actually ditch the whole race identifier angst and move forward without taking skin color into consideration. That would be cool.
Good point, but how would Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton make their money?

Old 07-19-2013, 09:13 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,535,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
As a black man, I've always felt that white women (especially BIG white women) who suffer from low self esteem, gravitate towards whoever will give them attention...and we black men LOVE us a thick woman!

Old 07-24-2013, 08:19 PM

7 posts, read 20,665 times
Lol, I live in Lansing, and am ~ Half/Half mixed.. I Actually have bits of some extra stuff mixed in like Dominican, and like 1/16th indian (cherokee) or something.. I'm not really from Lansing, but I've lived here about 5 years now. One thing that I noticed about Lansing, is that it has a really good Mix of people. People seem to be more accepting of different races, compared to other places that i've lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan