U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-22-2013, 06:52 PM

653 posts, read 347,832 times
Default Apple Orchards in the UP

Does anyone know of any apple orchards I could take my kids to in the UP? How about other orchards or farms? I'll be there in the early fall so maybe pumpkins? If you have any other suggestions for similar events/tours please let me know.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 03:06 PM

14 posts, read 5,466 times
Which side of the UP? Pumpkins don't usually grow very well up here.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:12 PM

I wasn't sure what grew up there. I'll be staying in Escanaba but I plan to do some exploring. I'm up for going anywhere. Plus I'll be coming in and going out from the west so I can stop then.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:58 PM

760 posts, read 1,414,844 times
Google and email the Marquette Food Coop, they'll be happy to direct you (they manage the U.P. Farm Directory). Also try Local Harvest / Farmers Markets / Family Farms / CSA / Organic Food

Old 08-01-2013, 03:23 AM

7,930 posts, read 7,542,390 times
The UP is over 400 miles across ( Saxton Harbor to Drummond island) there are small orchards east and west however a person could spend a lot of time traveling and little time looking unless you do your homework. It's a common misconception that we are " just a part of Michigan" when it's not so much the case. The UP has 1/3 rd the land mass and 2 percent of population , it's a big little slice of the State.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:56 AM

Thanks, jeeg. I'll check those out.

I am aware of the size and population of the UP. I grew up 20 minutes from the Michigan border. I thought asking the locals on this forum was doing some homework.

I'm getting quite the "tourists are unwelcome" vibe and from you darstar. Like I said before, I'm up for traveling. I have three weeks to spend in the UP and I'm used to having to drive quite a ways for towns/attractions.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:23 AM

2,629 posts, read 2,639,680 times
Quote:

I am aware of the size and population of the UP. I grew up 20 minutes from the Michigan border. I thought asking the locals on this forum was doing some homework.

I'm getting quite the "tourists are unwelcome" vibe and from you darstar. Like I said before, I'm up for traveling. I have three weeks to spend in the UP and I'm used to having to drive quite a ways for towns/attractions.
The U.P. is actually friendly and welcoming to tourists from my experience. Darstar just wants to keep all of the unspoiled nature to himself, I think.

I have never been to an orchard in the U.P., and it doesn't appear that there are many up there, but here are a couple ideas that might work:

Bonnie's Farm: Maple Syrup from trees on the farm, Fresh eggs, Cider mill (fresh apple cider made on the premises)
13094 Cadeau Road, Baraga, MI 49908. Phone: 906 353-6841. Open: Call to arrange a time.

Garden Orchards: Garden Orchards

If you have three weeks to explore, you might have better luck Northern Lower Michigan (lots of fruit farms and orchards there). If you are willing to make the drive.

Last edited by michigan83; 08-02-2013 at 11:01 AM..

Old 08-02-2013, 11:13 AM

Thanks michigan83. I was able to find Bonnie's Farm on my internet search. I was wondering if there just aren't any in the UP or I was just not finding them online. I have found a few a between Charlevoix and Acme that may work. I always love an excuse to go to Torch Lake.

In my expereince in Montana, the cities are "connected" and the rural areas don't advertise as much online. It's harder to find the info. Is that what I'm running into here?

It just seems like the perfect thing to do with little kids during the fall. I was able to find a little festival "Autumn in the Islands" in Cedarville that we may attend. Maybe we'll just get so wrapped up in hiking amongst the fall colors and not worry about it.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post

You did not spell out what you wanted to do, other than find a pumpkin patch. My response was keeping that in mind , who wants to travel half a day with some small children for such a thing. " Tourist are unwelcome" is far from what I have been promoting on CD these last 5 years. Fact is , I have been accused of promoting the UP too much.

That said, pumpkins do not do well up here, mostly because of our short growing season. The most garden friendly area is what's often called " the banana belt of the UP" . The garden peninsula juts out into Lake Michigan and is mostly made up of farms. Escanaba is not far from there at all. I know I have seen signs every fall off US 2 for "corn maze" and the like. Here in Marquette we have a Farmers Market every week end until Nov. or later. They do have pumpkins that come from our produce growing area to the south, the Scandia area. Everything at the market is grown in Michigan, no exceptions.

The UP does have a few areas I would want to steer tourist away from, but it's a real toss up as everyone has different ideas. We are not Montana , which also has some areas I would skip, like say Butte ? On the other hand some people sell Missioula short also, as I have always enjoyed my visits there.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
The U.P. is actually friendly and welcoming to tourists from my experience. Darstar just wants to keep all of the unspoiled nature to himself, I think.

I have never been to an orchard in the U.P., and it doesn't appear that there are many up there, but here are a couple ideas that might work:

Bonnie's Farm: Maple Syrup from trees on the farm, Fresh eggs, Cider mill (fresh apple cider made on the premises)
13094 Cadeau Road, Baraga, MI 49908. Phone: 906 353-6841. Open: Call to arrange a time.

Garden Orchards: Garden Orchards

If you have three weeks to explore, you might have better luck Northern Lower Michigan (lots of fruit farms and orchards there). If you are willing to make the drive.
I do think the UP is growing a bit fast in some areas like Marquette , but would never turn away tourists. We have never been a tourist destination, Marquette is more an industrial/ service center. There are a lot of "summer people " , always was the case, tourist not so much. The city is trying to change that however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan