Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2013, 08:05 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times

Advertisements

Forty years ago Hemingway fished the Two Hearted River - 07.17.61 - SI Vault

July 17, 1961
The River That Will Flow Forever
Forty years ago Hemingway fished the Two Hearted River and wrote an immortal story. Here is the river as it was in the week of his death
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 10:00 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
Very cool! That really is an amazing area up there. We went right after the fire...but even though mostly burnt, it still left an impression on me I will always remember. It's easy to see why he love that area.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:28 AM

196 posts, read 302,807 times
For quite some time now it has been shown/proven that Hemingway's Nick Adams character actually was fishing the Fox river. This is based on geographical information as well as information from the narrative itself.

Do a Google search for "Hemingway Fox River Seney" etc...

Old 08-01-2013, 03:05 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Hemingway got around it seems. Around Marquette there are stories that He visited our wild back country, maybe the Huron Mtn. Club properties.....

Old 08-01-2013, 05:34 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Hemingway got around it seems. Around Marquette there are stories that He visited our wild back country, maybe the Huron Mtn. Club properties.....
It's too bad that the Huron Mountain Club properties never became a national park. It would have been a lot of fun for common folk like me to go there.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
It's too bad that the Huron Mountain Club properties never became a national park. It would have been a lot of fun for common folk like me to go there.
I can identify with your thoughts on HMC in several ways, just not all of what " could have happened".I personally have never been through the gate up there, just last week I had the opportunity to do so ,unfortunately i had commitments in the Copper Country. It IS who you know in order to get in no doubt. There are quite a few outlying properties that are owned by non members, that use the gate/ road to get to their land.There are also many workers and contractors who enjoy access, most from around Marquette.You might be surprised at how many "members" live still in the Marquette area as well.

If you take a look at what has happened in the past to our wilderness lands and what is also happening today in the name of politics, greed , corruption , and selling out our national treasures, maybe its a good thing that this closed society has lasted well over 100 years There is hardly any part of the County that has not been touched by the loggers chain saws , now to the point that old growth timber hardly exists anywhere !... If anything could ever happen to the Club that might let in the public it would be a must that the properties be confirmed for all and all time, those of a wilderness status....By no means a National Park, of which so many of these treasures have become overrun with visitors and with less and less federal monies to provide maintenance and rebuilding the infrastructure. Stopping route 35 from traversing the heart of the HMC , long ago , may have been the best after all, in fact , I am sure of it !

Old 08-01-2013, 07:55 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times
Quote:
I can identify with your thoughts on HMC in several ways, just not all of what " could have happened".I personally have never been through the gate up there, just last week I had the opportunity to do so ,unfortunately i had commitments in the Copper Country. It IS who you know in order to get in no doubt. There are quite a few outlying properties that are owned by non members, that use the gate/ road to get to their land.There are also many workers and contractors who enjoy access, most from around Marquette.You might be surprised at how many "members" live still in the Marquette area as well.

If you take a look at what has happened in the past to our wilderness lands and what is also happening today in the name of politics, greed , corruption , and selling out our national treasures, maybe its a good thing that this closed society has lasted well over 100 years There is hardly any part of the County that has not been touched by the loggers chain saws , now to the point that old growth timber hardly exists anywhere !... If anything could ever happen to the Club that might let in the public it would be a must that the properties be confirmed for all and all time, those of a wilderness status....By no means a National Park, of which so many of these treasures have become overrun with visitors and with less and less federal monies to provide maintenance and rebuilding the infrastructure. Stopping route 35 from traversing the heart of the HMC , long ago , may have been the best after all, in fact , I am sure of it !
Very interesting stuff, Darstar, thanks for the inside info!

Old 08-01-2013, 08:51 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
Quote:

It is very interesting, but still a bummer. I mean...it is part of Michigan, and quite a bit to see there that people are missing out on. I thought I read that there is a huge waterfall in there...maybe the second largest in Michigan? Not sure if that is correct...but I know there is some beauty that we are missing out on. Oh well, plenty more to see for sure!!

Old 08-01-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
It is very interesting, but still a bummer. I mean...it is part of Michigan, and quite a bit to see there that people are missing out on. I thought I read that there is a huge waterfall in there...maybe the second largest in Michigan? Not sure if that is correct...but I know there is some beauty that we are missing out on. Oh well, plenty more to see for sure!!
The Huron Mountain Club ( original name Huron Mountain Shooting & Fishing Club) got its real start in 1892 when 42 members were signed on board. All the originators were from Marquette,Names like Longyear, Peter White , Seymour,Allen,McMillan, The original incorporation was signed in 1889 . 4 people from Marquette and 8 from downstate. The Club was limited to 100 members. To this day there are no Jewish members of record. Solicitations were sent out to a lot of people of means in both Detroit and Chicago. as well as other places in the East. Today little has changed membership is limited to 50 members each member owning a cabin on the property.The 50th cabin was constructed 98 years since the founding of the Club. Membership is, has, been closed almost from the start

The Club is still not so modern , they do have electricity, one telephone thats about it. Many people work there from kitchen help to maintenance to many guards on the thousands of acres of property. Huron Mtn. was a small town actually and once had a post office I was told, no so anymore. Around town on occasion i see guys with HMC uniforms and pick up trucks. The Club did have an office in the Longyear building, as , it was Longyear that founded the Club. The company is a major land holder all over the County. They basically are in the logging business. There is a thousand acres behind my house, Longyear logged last year, much to my dismay. The history of the Club is a long one, many stories to tell I know. There was a book about the Club years ago as i recall . All through the years the Club has been good stewards in keeping the area as it was hundreds of years ago. I would have to say they have been a better caretaker than a national Park would have been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan