Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2007, 10:34 AM

4 posts, read 10,851 times

Advertisements

We have just received orders to be stationed at Selfridge Air National Guard Base from Phoenix, AZ. Can someone please help us in locating nice areas around the base to live, towns, townships, neighborhoods, etc.? Areas that are not high in crime and real good places to live. We know absolutely nothing about the area and where to live and where not to live. Thank you,

Melissa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 10:40 AM

392 posts, read 1,858,443 times
Plenty of new and relatively new subs in that area. New Baltimore, Macomb Township, Chesterfield Township. Are you interested in schools? Great lake access if you are into boating and such.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:44 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Try St. Clair Shores, Eastpointe (formerly known as East Detroit), or even Grosse Pointe if you can stand that much exposure to yachting and alligator shirts. My dad was at SANG for a zillion years and never minded driving from St. Clair Shores...There's Shelby Township which is almost like being in the country.

Where NOT to live? Warren itself is inexpensive but hideous. Much farther south than that and you're downtown, where the living is unbelievably cheap but there's often a reason.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:40 AM

1 posts, read 3,108 times
Hi Melissa, I have had a lot of friends over the years that were stationed at Selfridge. Most of them wanted to be off base but close by although that depends on if the spouse was going to be working at another job. The whole general area is pretty good. I know some people that are living in townhouses in harrison township and the rent is a pretty good rate. Watch out in Mount Clemens, some of the areas are a little rough but Shelby, Chesterfield, Macomb, etc are all good. Feel free to e-mail me if you have other questions.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:45 AM

9 posts, read 33,887 times
Hello there ~ We, too will be moving to SE Michigan with my husband being transferred to Selfridge as well. We are looking at the Grosse Pointe area but are very open minded and will be looking a huge perimeter around the base.

Do you have children? Do you like new/old? I have found lots of info (keep in mind - I have NOT ever been to Michigan!) & we are planning to visit the area in a few weeks. I just recently posted looking for advice as well.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:27 AM

1 posts, read 3,018 times
Default St Clair and Marysville (East China)?????

I am also going to be working at Selfridge. We visited New Baltimore and liked the schools, but were a bit concerned about the congestion, so we started looking North. Any thoughts on St Clair and Marysville, East China. How are schools and generally the people? I figure on about a 35 minute commute, is that a good estimate?

All the doom and gloom posted here has us thinking of not taking this tremendous job opportunity, but I believe that life is what you make it anywhere. My big worry is a good safe place to raise the kids, somewhere they can call home. Any input on the areas from New Baltimore North would be very appreciated.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:48 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Can't tell you much from firsthand experience with that area of the State, I always lived either way further north (UP) or over by Lake Michigan. But here is a link to "Great Schools." From the few parent reviews I read at the elementary level it looks very positive for schools. New Baltimore Schools

Old 12-10-2007, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,969 times
Marysville is a fantastic town to raise a family in.
great schools, close to city conveniences, right on the St. Clair River, small town atmosphere, we love it here. Grew up in
grosse pointe but will take Marysville, St. Clair area any day over the pointes.
Good luck and feel free to write for more info!

Last edited by fighting irish; 12-10-2007 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: not completed

Old 02-04-2008, 07:56 PM

30 posts, read 116,572 times
St. Clair might be your best bet. It is comprable to Marysville and a little closer to Selfridge. Plus I like the St. Clair downtown area and the St. Clair river in that spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan