Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 03:12 PM

62 posts, read 116,006 times

Advertisements

If you are dead set on moving to the upper peninsula, research everything about your intended destination, I suppose its true for the entire country as well, but especially so for the UP.....we moved to munising in fall of '08, my mom originally was going to build a house on the 10 acres she owns up here, but it was not to be, called a dozen or so contractors and they were all out of her price range.....on advice from friends she knew, she bought a house in munising.....it was livable enough and had a nice view of the lake......unfortunatly, we found most of the people in our neighborhood and indeed, the town itself to be annoying careless imbeciles who sold drugs, let their dogs and screaming brat offspring run loose through the neighborhood and played loud music at all hours of the night with no regard for anyone else.......it wasn't originally this way, but it got that way fast, mostly due to unscrupulous landlords who rent to anyone...lots of drunks can be seen passed out (had to step over 3 of them once as I walked down to the falling rock coffeeshop from our house), sprawling on the sidewalk or even in the road at any time of year, lots of tweekers (meth addicts) around also.....a few years of this will wear even the most patient of us down.....the town itself doesn't give a toss about its people, they are only concerned with bending over backwards for tourists while badmouthing them under their breath....they do nothing about the empty rotting houses scattered throughout the town or loose mutts on every street despite having the cash to outfit the 2 or 3 cops we have with brand new SUVs and a patrol boat...the mayor is a crack head with a DUI record, yet he got reelected because the other guy was from "downstate" or something stupid like that. The town is controlled by a small group of families who own the major businesses and get state contracts without a bid cause their the only game in town. Other businesses, mostly resteraunts, have been prevented from setting up shop here because they might cut into family profits and we can't have that now can we? Maybe i come of like one of those people who moves somewhere and expects it to be like the place i left, but i assure you, thats not the case. I came up expecting to live free in the great outdoors with lots of room and privacy, but this sure as hell hasnt been that, i have no intention of trying to chane anyone's way of life, in fact im moving back to kalamazoo tommorow....In any case, munising has turned out to be by far the worst place I've ever lived, and I've lived a lot of places in a lot of states in my time......its a great place to visit and camp/hike, but if you are having thoughts about living here, I'd strongly urge you to reconsider.......the whole point of my rambling story/rant is do the research before moving here or you just might have the kind of expirence we did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 04:41 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,882,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Could you expand on that or suggest reading?
I guess you won't hear from our disenchanted Munising poster, cause I guess He or She has blown town today.... So , here is the skinny on the UP and especially Marquette , out largest and most unique real city.
Upper Michigan is a large place, with few people. WE have 1/3rd the land mass and 2 per cent of the population.Of that 2 percent most live in or near Marquette. Over 6 years ago I decided ( with a lot of City Data info.) to pic Marquette as my destination , to build my retirement home and , to fulfill one more thing on my bucket list. Marquette County is the largest in the State of Michigan, also one of the most remote places on earth, if , you want to get lost. The city sits on the edge of this vast wilderness , so its not unusual for once a winter to see a Moose wonder downtown as if its shopping or looking for food , which I guess it most likely is ! O' and by the way I came up here from the Kazoo area , where this poster is returning to , ..I offer this just for reference, especially of the negative post about Munising , which is 50 miles to our east. Most people that live there come here for serious shoplifting. , I mean shopping , what was I thinking about , O' i know, all the drunks piled up in the streets with all the meth users selling, fighting, going crazy , just because its in vogue and gained so much popularity on the hit TV series " Breaking Bad "..

I will stop talking about Munising , many people live there and like it , so you have now heard two perspectives.... What I can say with certainty is about Marquette and in addition the Western UP , which starts just east of Marquette. First, Our city is truly a place unto itself , I only have found a few places that even compare , and they were in Alaska and far northern Canada. For some reason i get the feeling Marquette is sort of a little Anchorage, again not sure why other than that frontier feeling amidst the streets of a modern city on the move! WE have a lot of Alaskan folks that have mover her and visa versa. Every day there is stlest one AK. plate , a lot of folks from Calif. and Maine too. WE are a transit place, always have been, not so much on tourist trace, though we would like to be.That too is changing as there is underway a 900 million water park/Hotel/Mall , that promises MQT to become a destination city , something every small city across America wants to become.WE have a new Imax theater complex underway now , a Chilies restaurant, and a whole lot more franchises, all on US 41 mostly in Marquette Township.and Neganuee Township to our west. MQT has a lot to offer just about anyone, we are growing like crazy due to many factors some as a renewed interest in Precious mineral mining.plus Iron Ore and now Nickle, the only place in NA that has the stuff , to make stainless steel, outside Sudbury Ontario. I was told today there are 39 thousand cars crossing on US 41 everyday , I find that unbelievable , but I guess its true ! Our shore line is a show place , best on Lake Superior , constructed for the people and not so much any private resorts or hotels. We were awarded the proud honor of being the best restored city in America two years ago ,and before and since many other best places to live, retire, outdoor sports, on and on . WE have the most extensive network of bike trails within the city as any place it the US according to the major bike mag. Marquette is on the move , its an exciting time to be here and be apart of it ,. I have a lot to say, any questions let me know and I will try not to over sell the city, but its easy to do, sometimes I just can't help myself !

Old 11-13-2013, 01:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,303 times
Quote:
its not unusual for once a winter to see a Moose
While I didn't see a Moose in Marquette itself, I saw one this past weekend on my way to Marquette just north of Blaney Park. Several years ago, there was a bull moose on campus at NMU who charged one of the mirrored basement windows!

I love the U.P. and could easily live in Marquette. I go up there about once a month (unless Mother Nature is not cooperating, mostly in the winter!). I definitely think Marquette should be on the Top 10 list.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:00 AM

62 posts, read 116,006 times
Marquette is great, best place in the UP. I wholeheartedly recommend that city as a great place to live if you are set on moving to the UP. I've said my bit on most of the rest of the place....

Old 11-17-2013, 12:52 PM

915 posts, read 1,494,038 times
10, in no particular order. Subject to change at some point in the future

Rochester/Rochester Hills
Kalamazoo
B'ham
Grand Rapids
Traverse City
St. Ignace
Petoskey
Sault Ste. Marie
Ann Arbor
Escanaba

Old 11-17-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
10, in no particular order. Subject to change at some point in the future

Rochester/Rochester Hills
Kalamazoo
B'ham
Grand Rapids
Traverse City
St. Ignace
Petoskey
Sault Ste. Marie
Ann Arbor
Escanaba
You pick Sault Ste Marie and Marquette is not even in the running.!!........just what rock did you crawl out from under.?

Old 11-22-2013, 06:33 PM

302 posts, read 765,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
You pick Sault Ste Marie and Marquette is not even in the running.!!........just what rock did you crawl out from under.?
Hey, don't bash the Soo! It has lot of history, being the oldest city in Michigan and it has a lot to offer if you like Upper Peninsula living. It might not have as much going on as Marquette, but it should be up there when it comes to the UP and Northern Michigan.

Downtown Sault Ste. Marie 5 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Edison Hydro plant on a snowy day | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 11-22-2013, 06:37 PM

Fine , it's just you omitted Marquette, picked the Soo an Escanaba ? I was just wondering what you have against Marquette , that's all.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:19 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,724,696 times
Honestly I would pick the Soo and Escanaba over Marquette as well. Marquette is too big for my tastes is the major reason.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:12 PM

372 posts, read 597,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Fine , it's just you omitted Marquette, picked the Soo an Escanaba ? I was just wondering what you have against Marquette , that's all.
Because she finds the above two more interesting than Marquette. It's her list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan