Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2013, 05:24 AM

850 posts, read 1,897,828 times

Advertisements

I'm taking a trip next month to Upstate New York, and planned on cutting through Canada through Sarnia. I applied for the special license (no passport) a couple weeks ago and will be using that. Whenever I've gone to Canada I go through Detroit, but this way will be faster. Anyone travel through there recently? Does it take long?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 06:10 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,395,872 times
I went to upstate New York through Canada a few years ago. But you should check out mapquest.com for information. They not only provide directions, but they'll also give you approximate travel times. For example, from Port Huron to Kingston, Ontario (at the east end of Lake Ontario) they show a drive time of approximately 6 hours. That sounds about right from my experience.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:30 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,600,730 times
I have done that multiple times, going from Port Huron to the border crossing at Niagara Falls. It is an easy drive. I usually fill up with gas in Port Huron so that I don't have to stop at all in Canada. It only takes about 3.5 hours, depending on how long the border crossing takes. Just be prepared for the occasional grumby border guard on either side. Even if you tell them you're just passing through, they might grill you with some annoying questions.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:02 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,271,575 times
It'll take 5 minutes to cross - they have two bridges in Pt. Huron so it's rarely backed up. I second the suggestion to fill up with gas/Tim Horton's in Port Huron before crossing into Canada. I-94 dead ends there so there's not much thought involved. That stretch of 402 between Sarnia and London is one of the most boring drives around.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:37 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,939,804 times
I go between Metro Detroit and Toronto area often, at least once a month.
I always cross at Port Huron-Sarnia as it is much more convenient than in Windsor, plus I live in Oakland County. The bridge rarely backs up. The only time it can back-up (for automobiles) is for traffic returning to the US on Sunday afternoon/evening and after a long holiday weekend from summertime traffic coming back from the Lake Huron lakeshore areas.

I much prefer the drive on the 402 from Sarnia to London versus the 401 from London to Windsor. The 401 has an insane amount of truck traffic, thanks to NAFTA and the healthier auto industry.

Which way are you planning to go to Upstate New York? You planning on crossing into New York at Niagara/Buffalo or going out the 401 along Lake Ontario toward Watertown?
If going up the 401 be careful about your timing through the Greater Toronto area. Traffic on the 401 is insane through Toronto no matter what time of the day, but extremely slow during the afternoon/evening rush hour. Mississauga to Oshawa could take up to 2 hours during the height of evening rush.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:41 AM

53 posts, read 149,001 times
Likewise I also drive to Toronto and have holidayed in Montreal as well. You need to use the Port Huron/Sarnia border crossing as it has less traffic, more developed (2 lanes). Last time I went I waited 1 hour in the queue to enter Canada but it was a holiday. Toronto is awesome and the 401 has wider lanes than some freeways on the East Coast and it not tolled except 407ETR (expensive!).

Old 11-01-2013, 04:14 PM

850 posts, read 1,897,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
I go between Metro Detroit and Toronto area often, at least once a month.
I always cross at Port Huron-Sarnia as it is much more convenient than in Windsor, plus I live in Oakland County. The bridge rarely backs up. The only time it can back-up (for automobiles) is for traffic returning to the US on Sunday afternoon/evening and after a long holiday weekend from summertime traffic coming back from the Lake Huron lakeshore areas.

I much prefer the drive on the 402 from Sarnia to London versus the 401 from London to Windsor. The 401 has an insane amount of truck traffic, thanks to NAFTA and the healthier auto industry.

Which way are you planning to go to Upstate New York? You planning on crossing into New York at Niagara/Buffalo or going out the 401 along Lake Ontario toward Watertown?
If going up the 401 be careful about your timing through the Greater Toronto area. Traffic on the 401 is insane through Toronto no matter what time of the day, but extremely slow during the afternoon/evening rush hour. Mississauga to Oshawa could take up to 2 hours during the height of evening rush.

Thank you everyone for the information!

I am from Oakland County too! I planned to take I-69 East into Sarnia. From there I was just going to follow whatever mapquest said? I am heading to Geneva, NY. I don't think I would have to go through Toronto?

Old 11-01-2013, 06:35 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjay View Post

I am from Oakland County too! I planned to take I-69 East into Sarnia. From there I was just going to follow whatever mapquest said? I am heading to Geneva, NY. I don't think I would have to go through Toronto?
If you're only going to Geneva then you won't be going through Toronto. When I think of "upstate" New York I think more of the Adirondacks. If you were going there then you would likely go through Toronto.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:55 PM

93,171 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjay View Post

You don't have to go through Toronto. Go through Niagara Falls to I-90/the Thruway to get to Geneva.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: