Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 10:12 PM

514 posts, read 760,669 times

Advertisements

What are you impressions of this place? A friend is thinking about moving there (cheap rent), and he asked me how I felt about the idea. I lived there for awhile, but it's been some time. I remember thinking it was the stodgiest place on earth, like some big junk community comprised of tacky furnishings and sickly-looking people. It seemed like the whole place dealt in a currency of fast food, high school football, cigarettes, and people magazine subscriptions. I cannot imagine much has changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 05:24 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,472,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
What are you impressions of this place? A friend is thinking about moving there (cheap rent), and he asked me how I felt about the idea. I lived there for awhile, but it's been some time. I remember thinking it was the stodgiest place on earth, like some big junk community comprised of tacky furnishings and sickly-looking people. It seemed like the whole place dealt in a currency of fast food, high school football, cigarettes, and people magazine subscriptions. I cannot imagine much has changed.
I think you summed it up pretty well.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:24 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,066,472 times
Taylor-tucky is the place you ought to be
So they loaded up the truck and moved to Beverly, Road that is...

Old 12-09-2013, 10:01 AM

750 posts, read 1,431,166 times
There are some very nice areas Downriver. We keep it quiet, though, because the very last thing we want is to become one of those "trendy" places full of yuppie jerks and wanna-be's. Conspicuous consumption attracts them like flies to carrion. Pretty soon you've got traffic jams full of Beemers and Costco and Trader Joe's.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:36 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,897,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Taylor-tucky is the place you ought to be
So they loaded up the truck and moved to Beverly, Road that is...
Clever.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:15 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,066,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Clever.
Well you know what they say, you can take the boy out of Taylor, but youy can't take Taylor out of the boy..

Old 12-10-2013, 07:54 AM

275 posts, read 440,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
Your impression seems pretty well set. I doubt anything I say will change your mind much.

For the most part, the Downriver area is a blue collar community. While you'll absolutely find examples of what you describe, I certainly don't agree that what you describe is the sum total of the Downriver experience. I was born and raised in Taylor, and family and friends have me in the Taylor, Flat Rock, Trenton, Monroe, Newport, and Gibraltar areas on a regular basis. I find the people in the Downriver area, for the most part, to be extremely "real" and unpretentious. I'm proud to say I'm from there.

To address your question, here is my impression. If you believe your friend will be comfortable in a non-trendy blue collar environment, don't steer him away. If you believe his perception of the area would match your own, steer freely.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,297 times
Downriver?

I took a sizeable chunk out of my retirement savings to loan my Allen Park born and raised wife's Allen Park born and half-raised daughter and her husband so they could buy a house in decidely not "downriver" Edmond, OK. Why? Because that put them in a good neighborhood about ten minutes from her mom and me also living in Edmond. Their mortgage credit score was such that they couldn't get approval for a mortgage with a small down payment but could with more cash up front.

Now the wife and I are separated and supposedly were working towards getting back together. Both in therapy, both working on our own issues, having dinners together, etc. That is until she informed me today the money I loaned her daughter was a "gift" and she and her husband wouldn't be paying me back. They had already paid me back about $1,000 when the daughter got pregnant (an absolute miracle given her medical issues) and, knowing it was going to be a VERY expensive pregnancy with all medical expenses that would come their way to prevent losing the child, I agreed to forego payments for a couple of years, a couple of years that now will be more like a couple of centuries (millennia?).

Having worked in several deep south states for ten years or so and having become familiar with what the better class of natives there call "Rednecks" I can assure you that there is an amazingly strong resemblance between "Downriver" and "Redneck", I would say they're identical species except for diet.

Last edited by lahhtims; 12-11-2013 at 11:10 PM..

Old 12-12-2013, 12:49 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,897,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lahhtims View Post
Downriver?

I took a sizeable chunk out of my retirement savings to loan my Allen Park born and raised wife's Allen Park born and half-raised daughter and her husband so they could buy a house in decidely not "downriver" Edmond, OK. Why? Because that put them in a good neighborhood about ten minutes from her mom and me also living in Edmond. Their mortgage credit score was such that they couldn't get approval for a mortgage with a small down payment but could with more cash up front.

Now the wife and I are separated and supposedly were working towards getting back together. Both in therapy, both working on our own issues, having dinners together, etc. That is until she informed me today the money I loaned her daughter was a "gift" and she and her husband wouldn't be paying me back. They had already paid me back about $1,000 when the daughter got pregnant (an absolute miracle given her medical issues) and, knowing it was going to be a VERY expensive pregnancy with all medical expenses that would come their way to prevent losing the child, I agreed to forego payments for a couple of years, a couple of years that now will be more like a couple of centuries (millennia?).

Having worked in several deep south states for ten years or so and having become familiar with what the better class of natives there call "Rednecks" I can assure you that there is an amazingly strong resemblance between "Downriver" and "Redneck", I would say they're identical species except for diet.
If they repaid some money, then it is not a "gift" - even in their eyes. Sounds like you have a good case for small claims court - or Judge Judy. Seriously.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:53 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,694,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wojo View Post
For the most part, the Downriver area is a blue collar community...

...If you believe your friend will be comfortable in a non-trendy blue collar environment, don't steer him away...
^^^Pretty much this.

Downriver (I think Southern Macomb County is the same way) is what it is. You'll either hate it or love it, depending on your taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan