Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 07:15 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,941,577 times

Advertisements

As a recent college grad working in Auburn Hills I would consider the following areas:

Rochester / Rochester Hills:
Close to Auburn Hills. Many apartmens throughout the area. Downtown Rochester has several restaurants/pubs, more a of a low-key bar scene, and some shops. Close to many big box chain stores and malls. Excellent parks and trails in the area. Paint Creek Trail & Clinton River trail excellent for running/biking. Close to Stony Creek Metropark.

Royal Oak:
One of Detroit's inner ring suburbs that is popular with twentysomethings. Much of the areas close to downtown are full of rental properties. You may be able to find a rental house in your price range in this area. Downtown Royal Oak has a popular bar and restaurant scene. Many of the bars/clubs downtown are more of the high-energy/frat-party/loud music type places. A nice advantage of Royal Oak is that is its within 15-20 minutes of downtown Detroit of the sports/entertainment/nightlife/cultural scene.

Troy:
More of a sprawling suburb, but does have many apartments throughout. Good access to I-75 to get to Auburn Hills quick, and to downtown Detroit for entertainment/sports/nightlife/cultural events. Home of Somerset Collection, the most upscale mall in the state. Not a walkable community per say, but kind of in the middle of everything. The city does have an excellent community center/recreation center.

Most other areas that are popular for recent college grads like downtown/midtown Detroit and Ann Arbor are going to be too far of a commute to Auburn Hills. Both are easy enough to visit for events as necessary on the weekends but not worth the long and painful commute 5 days per week to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 08:29 PM

4,626 posts, read 4,894,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk369 View Post
That's a good idea. I definitely am considering it. I think though that I want to at least rent for 6 months and get a good feel of the area and my new job before I take the plunge. I think after my transition period I would be comfortable doing this.

How are property taxes around MI? We have relatively inexpensive homes here in Southern New Jersey but high property taxes.
Property tax in MI is NOTHING compared to NJ/NY. That's assuming taxes in southern NJ are similar to northern NJ taxes

For example:
948 Coughlan St, Auburn Hills, MI 48326 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

That house's tax assesed value is $54,700 ( https://is.bsasoftware.com/bsa.is/As...AN+ST&unit=462 ). Tax was just less than $2000 last year.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:17 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times
Hi
When I was your age I used to live in Princeton area of NJ. I lived most of the 30 years in Oakland County Birmingham area in MI. In my opinion when you move to a new state you need to rent before you even think about purchasing. It gives you time to get a feel for different cities. What one person may like another won't. Also lets say the job does not work out you don't want to be stuck with home. Your yearly income regardless of renting or buying would be sufficient for a nice place in a nice area but like I said I feel you should rent for at least 6 months.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:09 AM

915 posts, read 1,505,336 times
Yeah - I wouldn't buy anything until you get to know the area.

Housing is "cheap", but not everyone is cut out to be landlord if living in the area doesn't work out.

Also, I've run into quite a few people who can't sell or rent their one-bedroom condos when they ready to upgrade. Just something to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan