Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Michigan Part of the Upper Midwest
Yes, all of Michigan falls in the Upper Midwest. 20 58.82%
Most of Michigan is part of the Upper Midwest, but not the Detroit Metro and southeasten Michigan. 0 0%
The Upper Midwest begins somewhere north of Lansing and south of Traverse City. 4 11.76%
Only the UP is part of the Upper Midwest. 2 5.88%
Michigan is not at all part of the Upper Midwest. 8 23.53%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 01:25 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,520,124 times

Advertisements

When people talk about the Upper Midwest, Minnesota and Wisconsin (at least outside Milwaukee) are surely included, but is Michigan part of this region as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 01:39 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,934,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
When people talk about the Upper Midwest, Minnesota and Wisconsin (at least outside Milwaukee) are surely included, but is Michigan part of this region as well?
Michigan has always been considered part of the midwest.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:43 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
I always think of Michigan as being North Central with Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin and most of Illinois. MID WEST for me has been the states that boarder the Mississippi and south of Minnesota / Wisconsin---north of Texas--western Colorado. That would be Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska, Kansas, Western Illinois.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:34 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
I don't think the words "Upper Midwest" are used very often. I think of Michigan as Midwest but not compared to plains states like Nebraska or Iowa.

It's a Great Lakes State.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:14 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,143,483 times
The term "Upper Midwest" is not one usually used in the metropolitan Detroit area. Most people think of it as part of the Midwest or two peninsulas on their own with some cultural and economic links to Ontario, Ohio, Northern Indiana, Chicagoland, and Wisconsin. I think people in the Upper Peninsula have more of a bond with people in Wisconsin and perhaps Minnesota than people downstate.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:28 AM

447 posts, read 1,245,742 times
In my opinion Michigan is part of the Great Lakes Region -- separate from the "Midwest" which I feel is more like Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska and Kansas. "Midwest" is a lazy term slapped on everything between the coasts by the elite liberal snobs who live in NY and CA -- like "flyover" country". ;-)

The Great Lakes Region is an area sculpted by the lakes themselves and includes Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and Ontario Canada (and bits of Northern PA and Western NY). It has a lifestyle and heritage shaped by the water, maritime commerce, immigration (especially from Scandinavia and the Netherlands) and other factors.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:50 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,520,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allbusiness View Post
I
The Great Lakes Region is an area sculpted by the lakes themselves and includes Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and Ontario Canada (and bits of Northern PA and Western NY). It has a lifestyle and heritage shaped by the water, maritime commerce, immigration (especially from Scandinavia and the Netherlands) and other factors.
I'm not sure if Scandinavian immigration to the UP and Dutch immigration to Southwestern Michigan parallel the rest of the Great Lakes Region. Though there is the occasional Swede in Milwaukee or Chicago, good luck finding anyone of Dutch or Scandinavian extraction in Cleveland, Detroit, or Buffalo.

I'd say that the Great Lakes Region is defined more by African American, Irish, and Polish culture than anything from Protestant Europe.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:37 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
I figured Michigan and neighboring Great Lakes states to be part of the Upper Midwest. The Great Lakes designation is a subset of that, much like the Great Plains states.

We're Midwest, we are Northern (upper), I don't see a distinction here. Michigan is upper Midwest.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:44 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Guess it depends on how far you want to break the midwest into smaller regions.
I usually go for just two, the great plains and the upper midwest (which includes MI) or sometimes three, when I break it down further to include the Great Lakes area as it's own region.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:51 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,143,483 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if Scandinavian immigration to the UP and Dutch immigration to Southwestern Michigan parallel the rest of the Great Lakes Region. Though there is the occasional Swede in Milwaukee or Chicago, good luck finding anyone of Dutch or Scandinavian extraction in Cleveland, Detroit, or Buffalo.

I'd say that the Great Lakes Region is defined more by African American, Irish, and Polish culture than anything from Protestant Europe.
You will find some people in the Detroit area of Dutch and Scandinavian extraction. There are historical migration patterns from the UP down to the Detroit area during the 1900's when copper towns emptied out. There are people from the West Coast of Michigan who also resettled to the East Coast of Michigan. But in general, the UP is Finnish, the West Coast is Dutch, and the rest of Michigan is of Germanic ancestry. The Detroit area is a melting pot of people as you mentioned in your post of African Americans, Irish, and Polish as well as a huge Middle Eastern community.

Swedish Club

Welcome to IKEA.com - IKEA (there is one in the Detroit area)....couldn't resist...sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan