Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 12:10 PM

2,051 posts, read 1,843,571 times

Advertisements

Is the job at the DMC in downtown detroit? How long of a commute would you tolerate? Do you feel strongly about living near young adults with entertainment that attracts young singles, or would you rather be in a more Williamsville-like suburb? Is the quality of the school system of concern at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 06:39 PM

38 posts, read 120,946 times
This is a excellent post! Very Informative, civil, with actual discussion... That didn't turn to crap. This post should be a perfect example of why the city-data forums need to add a "Detroit SUBURBS or METRO detroit" as it own Forum. Moderators please take notice, if this OP would have posted honest questions like this in the Detroit Forum??? Forget it, the "Usual destroy a legitimate question about Detroit Post people", That are just waiting to go gonzo on somebody that likes the region (suburbs) but not Detroit. ..well it would have been all turned to crap and shut down by now. So Please consider a Sub Detroit Forum just for the Suburbs.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:57 PM

211 posts, read 298,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefab2015 View Post
Yeah, my other options for Relocations are:

Philadelphia: I like Philly a lot and like Detroit it gets stereotyped often but for a different reason, ....Philly's stereotype is the rude people....which I have been there a few times, I dont see it, except for at sporting events lol. Philly gives you the big city life feel but not at the insanely ridiculous cost of NY, Boston and DC...but ...there is just something about Philly and it's suburbs set up that is very uncomfortable...lot of older real estate as well...and commuting would be hell...Idk if I could do Philly?

Chicago: I really like Chicago a lot......but what I dont like, is the taxes are out of control, the state is a mess and Illinois very well might be the state fiscally in the country.....it's also corrupt as f$$$
and people think Detroit going bankrupt is bad....Illinois is walking a fine line for bankruptcy itself....they are broke.

Minneapolis-St.Paul.... Dont know much about it except it might have the best economy in the nation and it's in great shape....low unemployment....but its so far and the climate makes detroit and Buffalo look like Miami

Based on my needs....i'd Detroit is in the lead by far

I would really pick Philadelphia or Chicago over the rest.

For Chicago you mention Illinois going bankrupt. Is that really going to somehow effect your life in a huge way? Chicago is pretty affordable compared to all the amenities that is offered in the city.

I think Philly is also another good choice. Much more to do than Detroit. Commuting is slightly a problem if you drive, especially down 76, but you actually have an option of taking the commuter train if you work downtown. Furthermore, it is also closer to the other big cities in the NE and DC. Also, Philly is a decently milder than Detroit or Chicago, I think about 7-8 degrees warmer. Avg highs in Jan are 40 I believe.

Chicago compared to Philly, I think Chicago offers a better cost of living vs amenities offered than Philly.

In both cities, there are actually decent and lively neighborhoods that you can live in close to downtown.

I've spent some time in Philly and hands down I would take Philly over Detroit. I think I would take Philly over Chicago too due to the fact that it is a decent amount warmer in Philadelphia and you are only 90 mins from NYC and under 2 hrs away from DC and Baltimore. Philadelphia has a nice restaurant and bar scene as well.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:39 PM

18 posts, read 50,437 times
Commute does not matter, I know people from the Motor City Drive....and I love to drive, even if its an hour at a time....in Buffalo it's not uncommon for people to drive 45 min or an hr plus to Rochester for work

I really shouldnt bash Buffalo that much....im really just sick of the "smallness" here, the small town feel and everyone knows everyone thing generally works for some, but It's not my thing, I like variety....my ultimate goal is Bigger....im not talking NYC Big, but a city with a couple more million people and a bigger economy would be nice.

As far as driving......I will drive any distance and the job is at the Recieving Hospital..... school districts, dont matter at the moment....but it's a plus, someday it will.

And on Illinois potentially going bankrupt someday (If it's allowed to of course)....we'll would it affect me directly? Maybe in the form of higher taxes immediately? ...But We've never really seen a bankruptcy on that scale before in our country to my knowledge so it's tough to say and it's scary to think about...if the s*** hit the fan? it's quite unknown...but I'd rather play it safe and not find out....

But the major concern is the Taxes are incredibly insane, and although the cost of living is less than other cities of similar sizes (NYC, LA)....I know that the purchasing power of a dollar in Chicago doesnt go as far either because of the insane taxes and cost of gasoline and even ultilites....plus I know for a fact Chicago commutes can be a b****

By the way out of curiosity.....whats a gallon of gas going for in your part of the county: In Buffalo its around 3.70....ive heard we have some of the highest gas prices in the United States.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:49 PM

Ive driven through the Metro Detroit area enough to know:

I will not get shot, raped, or killed anywhere in the metro area..... Downtown isnt too bad...just stay away from the abandoned residential areas in the city?

I do not need Robocop to accompany me

And If I had to guess: The Show Hardcore Pawn makes the Detroit Area look bad at times?...Although hey I like the show

I even drove through the intersection of the Detroit-Grosse Pointe border- crossing Alter Road and E.Jefferson...and all I can say is wow....what a freakin difference.....You almost cant even believe youre in the same city...it's also gotta be quite scary living right in Grosse Pointe on the border as I can imagine knowing whats just lies on the other side of the border....

One observation I can make is I have never seen a city so segregated socially and ecomically.....not even Buffalo is like that...People who dont know much about Detroit do not realize that the city and the suburbs are night and day

The city is a very interesting social experiment for sure

Old 01-21-2014, 09:53 PM

Has anyone checked out Johnny Knoxville Youtube Detroit Documentary?

I though it was really interesting take on the city

Johnny Knoxville: Detroit Lives Part 1 of 3 - YouTube

Old 01-21-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jst333 View Post
This is a excellent post! Very Informative, civil, with actual discussion... That didn't turn to crap. This post should be a perfect example of why the city-data forums need to add a "Detroit SUBURBS or METRO detroit" as it own Forum. Moderators please take notice, if this OP would have posted honest questions like this in the Detroit Forum??? Forget it, the "Usual destroy a legitimate question about Detroit Post people", That are just waiting to go gonzo on somebody that likes the region (suburbs) but not Detroit. ..well it would have been all turned to crap and shut down by now. So Please consider a Sub Detroit Forum just for the Suburbs.
Yes, they should have a suburban Detroit forum.....it's amazing how people can Stereotype an entire Metro area due to bad press.....When I tell I want to move to Detroit they immediately think "youre gonna get shot, become homeless, and be unemployed" and thats just so condesending and uninformed....NO DOUBT, the city and Metro area have fallen on tough times....but in my opinion I think Metro Detroit is still one of the better places to live in the country that is more than definetly worth considering....

Is it as cosmopolitan like Chicago or NYC and Seattle? Probably not....but its got plenty of nice parts from what I hear

Buffalo and Detroit are basically cousins, actually not even cousins, more like Brothers.....they are rust belt brothers.....Hard to believe they are only 4 hours away and think about all the cool stuff the cities have done for eachother : Buffalo has given Detroit: Dominik Hasek, Scotty Bowman and a Stanley Cup...Detroit has given us: Ralph C.Wilson Jr and Chris Speilman...fair trade lol jk..

We are also a city that is still has some influence by Detroit as much as many Buffalonians dont realize it:
Ford still employs a good amount of people here as does Delphi and GM has a couple plants here....of course they dont employ anywhere near what they used to..... and American Axle used to be a good employer here....they are gone of course and left a lot of people here out of work...and thats only a few, there are many more....

It's really just the smallness of Buffalo and the generations and generations of the same people lack of opportunity because of the cities size that really turn me off and econimically there is not much here either, like I said, Detroit might be exclusively built on the Auto industry but at least they have something.....In Buffalo we dont really have anything aside from M & T bank and any of the good jobs here are in healthcare or government employment.....out economy here is bulit on the small business and in terms of hospitals for my field: We have just 2 major systems and county run Roswell and ECMC...

Old 01-21-2014, 11:23 PM

14,176 posts, read 22,643,739 times
Quote:
...you always see Pittsburgh on these best places to live lists.....and who ever says that Pittsburgh is one of the best places to live in the country has obviously never been there.....I think the city proper is quite a gem, but the Suburbs and surrounding areas are quite dumpy.
It depends on where you are in the Pittsburgh area. Many of its "suburbs" are actually former industrial/company towns along the rivers, particularly along the Monongahela River. When post-war suburbanization happened in Pittsburgh, it wasn't just people moving out of the city, but also people moving out of those company towns as well, so a lot of the suburbs to the south and east of the city are rather dated and dumpy.

On the other hand, the suburbs to the north and west of the city are not only newer, but also wealthier. North of the Allegheny River is the very wealthy enclave of Fox Chapel, and north of the Ohio River are many old streetcar suburbs, with Sewickley being the crown jewel, and adjacent Edgeworth being rather tony as well. Because of this wealth north of the rivers, other nearby suburbs have become rather wealthy as well, such as Bell Acres, Franklin Park, McCandless, Aspinwall, and the townships of Pine, Richland, Hampton and O'Hara.

There's a smaller cluster of wealth to the southwest as well, centered around Mt. Lebanon and Upper St. Clair. In fact, most suburbs along or near I-79 and U.S. 19 in Allegheny County are at least upper-middle-class. The only exceptions are the middle-class townships of Robinson, Kennedy and Moon, and the working-class boroughs of Bridgeville, Coraopolis and McKees Rocks.

With that said, Pittsburgh doesn't have quite as many wealthy suburbs as Detroit, or even Cleveland, for that matter. I think one of the reasons is because there was never a mass abandonment of wealth from Pittsburgh like there was from Detroit or Cleveland. Most of the heavy industry in the Pittsburgh area was outside the city (referring back to the company towns along the Monongahela River Valley), so the city itself was preserved better.

On the other hand, most of the heavy industry in Detroit and Cleveland was in the cities themselves, which is why anybody who had the means to move out did. As a result, each city has an abnormal amount of blight and a large cluster of wealthy suburbs. It's also why revitalization efforts are taking so much longer to gain traction. In the Pittsburgh area, because so much of the industry was in pockets away from the city, it's easier to bypass those areas and let them return to nature.

Sadly, once you get more than 15 to 20 miles from the city, rural western Pennsylvania really is dumpy. It's actually a jarring dichotomy because the natural setting is beautiful, but the built environment is often ghastly. Many small towns in rural western Pennsylvania are lost causes. Even rural eastern Pennsylvania has several very quaint, well-kept small towns, so it's just a matter of which side of the state you're on. As a result, Pittsburgh has become an oasis of vitality in the middle of a dying region.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
It depends on where you are in the Pittsburgh area. Many of its "suburbs" are actually former industrial/company towns along the rivers, particularly along the Monongahela River. When post-war suburbanization happened in Pittsburgh, it wasn't just people moving out of the city, but also people moving out of those company towns as well, so a lot of the suburbs to the south and east of the city are rather dated and dumpy.

On the other hand, the suburbs to the north and west of the city are not only newer, but also wealthier. North of the Allegheny River is the very wealthy enclave of Fox Chapel, and north of the Ohio River are many old streetcar suburbs, with Sewickley being the crown jewel, and adjacent Edgeworth being rather tony as well. Because of this wealth north of the rivers, other nearby suburbs have become rather wealthy as well, such as Bell Acres, Franklin Park, McCandless, Aspinwall, and the townships of Pine, Richland, Hampton and O'Hara.

There's a smaller cluster of wealth to the southwest as well, centered around Mt. Lebanon and Upper St. Clair. In fact, most suburbs along or near I-79 and U.S. 19 in Allegheny County are at least upper-middle-class. The only exceptions are the middle-class townships of Robinson, Kennedy and Moon, and the working-class boroughs of Bridgeville, Coraopolis and McKees Rocks.

With that said, Pittsburgh doesn't have quite as many wealthy suburbs as Detroit, or even Cleveland, for that matter. I think one of the reasons is because there was never a mass abandonment of wealth from Pittsburgh like there was from Detroit or Cleveland. Most of the heavy industry in the Pittsburgh area was outside the city (referring back to the company towns along the Monongahela River Valley), so the city itself was preserved better.

On the other hand, most of the heavy industry in Detroit and Cleveland was in the cities themselves, which is why anybody who had the means to move out did. As a result, each city has an abnormal amount of blight and a large cluster of wealthy suburbs. It's also why revitalization efforts are taking so much longer to gain traction. In the Pittsburgh area, because so much of the industry was in pockets away from the city, it's easier to bypass those areas and let them return to nature.

Sadly, once you get more than 15 to 20 miles from the city, rural western Pennsylvania really is dumpy. It's actually a jarring dichotomy because the natural setting is beautiful, but the built environment is often ghastly. Many small towns in rural western Pennsylvania are lost causes. Even rural eastern Pennsylvania has several very quaint, well-kept small towns, so it's just a matter of which side of the state you're on. As a result, Pittsburgh has become an oasis of vitality in the middle of a dying region.

"As a result, Pittsburgh has become an oasis of vitality in the middle of a dying region."

That is probably the best way anyone has ever described Pittsburgh....Pittsburgh is a really cool place to visit, but I could never live there myself....

I could never live there personally because of a wonderful health care company called UPMC......which absolutely dominates Western Pennsylvania and therefore, they also keep the wages really really low.

Nurses and Respiratory Therapist there are tremendously underpaid there while raises have been marginal at best.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:47 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,563,615 times
Quote:
Has anyone checked out Johnny Knoxville Youtube Detroit Documentary?

I though it was really interesting take on the city

Johnny Knoxville: Detroit Lives Part 1 of 3 - YouTube
Yep, I've seen lots of documentaries on the city. Personally, I love hearing and seeing outsider and even locals' views of the city. I think it's especially helpful to learn about people's experiences of the city because 90% of what you hear about Detroit pretty much is from the media.

Numbers can tell you a lot, but you really have to listen to the folks who live there to really understand the city. How many times do the national media ever descend on the city and interview any of the residents? It seems like less often than in other cities. They'll film the Packard Plant or Michigan Central Station a million times but they'll never interview the owners or people who live next to these buildings. It more like eye candy for the rest of the country rather than actual investigative journalism. It's like Anthony Bourdain or Johnny Knoxville put in more effort to learn about the city than any big time journalists do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan