Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 05:40 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,097,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Put your vehicle in neutral while going down a slick hill.

Pump the brakes lightly.

Steer in the direction of the skid.

Maintain good collision coverage.

I've mostly driven RWD/stick shift for the last 35 years in snow country. No accidents ever, ever. It's how I roll. And in 1984 I moved from California to Colorado high country and then to Michigan and calm & sensible has done me well, as well as pretending there's a stinky rotten egg between my foot and the gas pedal!

The advice to bump into neutral on hills or when sliding out is good and I do this, but does it apply to newer/FWD vehicles with traction control? Similar to pulsing the brakes - is this necessary with newer vehicles? I do this regularly but mostly I drive older RWD vehicles without computer assist.

Finally, to those who recommend taxis....millions of new transplant or resident teenage drivers learn to handle winter driving just fine every year with no problems. Those of you who are terrified or slam on brakes inapropriately because you get scared, please stay home or hire drivers. Seriously, please do. You're unsafe and irresponsible.

The majority of us calm and sensible drivers do NOT want you people driving on the same roads we're using! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 05:49 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,097,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
When i first started driving every wintee i would find an open parking lot and whip some doughnuts. Its a great way to figure out how to react in icy situations
When I first moved to snow country I did exactly the same thing!

Old 01-24-2014, 06:11 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,728,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
When i first started driving every wintee i would find an open parking lot and whip some doughnuts. Its a great way to figure out how to react in icy situations
I still do it every winter, just to get the feel of it again... that is the excuse I am using anyway. Also do it if I have a new vehicle so I know how that vehicle reacts in a slide.

This year we have a 2010 Ford E-350 full sized 12 passenger van. Now, I have driven full sized vans for work for 30+ years and have WAY, WAY too many miles under my belt driving them on snow and ice (think well over 300,000 miles of winter driving in vans). Do you think I could get that 2010 to pull a doughnut? Nope! Traction Control and anti-roll over systems are far too good in it to even allow me to flip a 180 in the damn thing. I got the rear-end to hang out to about 30 degrees the other day before everything kicked in and brought it back straight, that is the best I have been able to get it to slide. Kind of takes the fun out of an empty, icy parking lot.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Finally, to those who recommend taxis....millions of new transplant or resident teenage drivers learn to handle winter driving just fine every year with no problems. Those of you who are terrified or slam on brakes inapropriately because you get scared, please stay home or hire drivers. Seriously, please do. You're unsafe and irresponsible.
My oldest son just turned 16, and all of his friends are getting their first licenses as well about now. I have been totally impressed with those kids. For a pack of teen-age boys they have shown some real maturity this winter. Ski club for our school uses a ski hill that is 52 miles from the school. Last Wednesday I drove 2 of my boys and some of their friends up because we live next door to the school and have the aforementioned van. On the way home, the two who drove to school wondered if I would drop them off to their houses instead of taking them back to their vehicles. BOTH of them said they were not ready or comfortable to drive, considering the condition the roads were in when skiing got over.

OP, take a hint from some normally daredevil teen-age boys. If you are not comfortable driving... don't. Take a cab, then come back for your vehicle later. Road conditions change rapidly, and what is really bad one day, will probably be much better the following day. Don't be a hero and drive just because all the locals are if you think it is too bad for YOUR skill level. Better out a few dollars and a bit of wounded pride, than a wreck.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:53 PM

104 posts, read 240,675 times
Speaking of school... maybe there is some kind of winter driving school OP could enroll in.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:04 AM
YAZ

7,698 posts, read 14,020,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post

The advice to bump into neutral on hills or when sliding out is good and I do this, but does it apply to newer/FWD vehicles with traction control? Similar to pulsing the brakes - is this necessary with newer vehicles? I do this regularly but mostly I drive older RWD vehicles without computer assist.

Works the same way......

An almost daily routine at the old homestead, as the driveway was long and had a steep slope.

Thing is, you knew it was coming and had time to prepare.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:51 AM

739 posts, read 824,120 times
Rent a Subaru. You won't even know there is snow on the road.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
Rent a Subaru. You won't even know there is snow on the road.
BS. I have owned Subarus and know that while they are decent in the snow, it is more dependent on the tires on it and the driving ability behind the wheel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan