Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 08:58 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,779,462 times

Advertisements

I'm guessing all of the people who have an issue with this topic are white, heterosexual males who enjoy the privilege of their position without really knowing what happens to people who do not fit those three characteristics.

I completely understand the question. My wife was given the rundown by her OB-GYN over a decision we had to make, injecting his own politics into it. It made my blood boil. Politics are injected into healthcare by practitioners, every day. They can even deny providing care to you if you are gay, as tcchic pointed out (despite taking the hippocratic oath in Med School).

In light of that and all the in-fighting here, I should close the topic but I'll leave it up to tcchic. Everyone try to be a little nicer and a little more understanding, Michiganders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 03:49 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,899,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Yes, but that person would probably get the same response from liberals as OP got from conservatives, saying that it is foolish to think a liberal doctor would pressure someone into having an abortion.

Let's take another case: suppose someone asked for a conservative interior designer because they were tired of dealing with gay men. Suppose that might get a few negative responses?

In other words, the stereotypes are that all doctors are conservative pricks and that all interior designers are flaming homosexuals.

(Sorry for the thread drift.)
Why the "same response"? You can't assign equal motivations of intolerance to "both sides", that's what right-wing media tries to do at times.
Liberal: a. Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry. b. Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.
Conservative: 1. Favoring traditional views and values; tending to oppose change. 2. Traditional or restrained in style 3. Moderate; cautious.

So if someone asks for a politically conservative doctor, I say go a freakin' head. If someone seeks out a flaming fascist doc, then that is between them, it harms nobody that I can see. Same for liberals.
Sorry, but the dictionary is still correct despite what Limbaugh says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
I'm guessing all of the people who have an issue with this topic are white, heterosexual males who enjoy the privilege of their position without really knowing what happens to people who do not fit those three characteristics.

I completely understand the question. My wife was given the rundown by her OB-GYN over a decision we had to make, injecting his own politics into it. It made my blood boil. Politics are injected into healthcare by practitioners, every day. They can even deny providing care to you if you are gay, as tcchic pointed out (despite taking the hippocratic oath in Med School).

In light of that and all the in-fighting here, I should close the topic but I'll leave it up to tcchic. Everyone try to be a little nicer and a little more understanding, Michiganders.
Maybe a T.C. resident will eventually post here.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 02-02-2014 at 05:16 PM..

Old 02-02-2014, 08:24 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,728,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Why the "same response"? You can't assign equal motivations of intolerance to "both sides", that's what right-wing media tries to do at times.
Liberal: a. Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry. b. Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.
Conservative: 1. Favoring traditional views and values; tending to oppose change. 2. Traditional or restrained in style 3. Moderate; cautious.

So if someone asks for a politically conservative doctor, I say go a freakin' head. If someone seeks out a flaming fascist doc, then that is between them, it harms nobody that I can see. Same for liberals.
Sorry, but the dictionary is still correct despite what Limbaugh says.

Maybe a T.C. resident will eventually post here.
Using your own definitions you posted, just where would you fit? Not Conservative for sure, but you don't fit liberal either. At least not by the definitions you have above. Your posts in this thread alone shows you fit neither a or b on the liberal definitions. "a" included "free from bigotry" which if you use the definition of bigotry as "intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself." you fail that litmus test. Under "b" you don't fit the "tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded" parts either. A simple scan back through this very thread shows examples of both.

Just curious how you see yourself fitting either of these, or are you something else entirely? I am Conservative and fit most of the definitions you posted.

As for the OP, like I said earlier in the thread, I really hope you do find a Dr. you can feel comfortable with. There are a few members from the TC area, hopefully they can chime in with a few suggestions.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:14 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,899,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Using your own definitions you posted, just where would you fit? Not Conservative for sure, but you don't fit liberal either. At least not by the definitions you have above. Your posts in this thread alone shows you fit neither a or b on the liberal definitions. "a" included "free from bigotry" which if you use the definition of bigotry as "intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself." you fail that litmus test. Under "b" you don't fit the "tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded" parts either. A simple scan back through this very thread shows examples of both.

Just curious how you see yourself fitting either of these, or are you something else entirely? I am Conservative and fit most of the definitions you posted.

As for the OP, like I said earlier in the thread, I really hope you do find a Dr. you can feel comfortable with. There are a few members from the TC area, hopefully they can chime in with a few suggestions.
Exactly right, and I am cautious and don't always embrace change. You illustrate that the big liberal/conservative divide invented 35 years ago by R. Limbaugh, and exploited today by RW media, doesn't exist and never has. It's called "divide-and-conquer" for political purposes.

We can't get bogged down in this.
I voice opposing views in an open forum therefore I flunk your "tolerance test". Okay.
On tolerance, some things I would totally ban if I had the power: religious and racial bigotry, trolling, fascism and a corporate government (big topics around here). I will react in opposition to these so, guilty as charged, I am intolerant.

Bigotry: 1. extreme intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own. 2. obtuse or narrow-minded intolerance, especially of other races or religions.
Notice the word "extreme". The second one is the biggie. This doesn't mean one can't argue against certain views in a forum.
"Liberals" are intolerant of a few things, just not as many - more tolerant of things like gay marriage for instance, less tolerant of racial hatred which still exists on the Right, tho they claim otherwise.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 02-02-2014 at 10:42 PM..

Old 02-02-2014, 11:08 PM

13 posts, read 22,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post

My wife, by the way, prefers not to see male doctors. In the past, she's found too many of them to be condescending and not respectful of her issues as a woman. Could she find a great male doctor? Sure, but she feels that it's not worth the risk.
I only quoted a little of your post, but yours was by far the most well thought out and balanced reply of the thread. Thank you.

I wanted to highlight the above; it's really a perfect analogy to what I'm asking and I think one idea more people (er, at least people who might also be women) could empathize with. I'll bet you many people who jumped on the negativity bandwagon in this thread would have no issue with a woman wanting a female doctor. There are always one or two in a crowd, but I'll bet by by-and-large you wouldn't hear much "but you're stigmatizing all male doctors" and disdain for an inquiry into a good female doc. However, the reasons for the query would be much the same - finding a doctor you can be comfortable with no matter what. You're correct - the doctors office is one spot in life where you are at your most vulnerable. I simple want to minimize the chances for anything that might add to that, and I want to feel comfortable being totally honest with my doctor maximizing chances at a successful outcome each and every time.

Upon reflecting on all this, I keep trying to understand why people would object at all to a question in a forum like this (other than boredom) to wanting a doctor with any specific characteristics. I couldn't imagine getting fired up enough reading my original post to want to post disdain for someones preferences in professional services. I'd really just go to the next thread. I know online vitriol is all the rage these days, I just don't get it, especially for something like my original question.

In any event, thanks again for the great reply.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
We can't get bogged down in this.
Then stop. Please.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Not yet please. Even though it went a lot differently than I thought it would, it's been somewhat instructive.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:11 PM

196 posts, read 298,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
...snip...
Well said!

Old 02-04-2014, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,418 times
No idea of her politics. But my current GP is Dr. Natalie Okerson-Sparks. She works out of Bay Area Family Care off of 3-Mile in TC. I quite like her, and I'm pretty sure she is taking new patients.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,168 times
Anyone who does not believe that a doctors "political leanings" affect How they practice medicine and the decisions they make regarding patient care is pretty naive. This is not the 1950"s. Unfortunately, we are dealing with a whole different ball game...
that is not to say that there are not excellent doc's out there.
But, I've heard it said that "Doctors are the New Lawyers", and that is not exactly a compliment. Just Sayin....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan