Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 04:42 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,576,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I have this weird thing about driving when conditions are horrible - I like it! It just feels like an adventure when I leave in the morning knowing the roads are going to be a gawd-awful challenge; it's like, wheeee, yay, combat driving today!

I agree 100% !!

But we are definitely in the minority. I have tried explaining these feelings to people at work and they think I am crazy. I mostly just keep it to myself.

It does depend a little bit on what roads I am on. Gravel roads and country roads with no traffic are the most fun. Two lane highways with traffic are OK but you have to worry more about other people making mistakes. A freeway at rush hour in heavy snow really isn't much fun, no matter how you slice it. Not because the snow is so difficult to drive through, but because I don't trust the other idiots around me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 05:49 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,874,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I agree 100% !!

But we are definitely in the minority. I have tried explaining these feelings to people at work and they think I am crazy. I mostly just keep it to myself.

It does depend a little bit on what roads I am on. Gravel roads and country roads with no traffic are the most fun. Two lane highways with traffic are OK but you have to worry more about other people making mistakes. A freeway at rush hour in heavy snow really isn't much fun, no matter how you slice it. Not because the snow is so difficult to drive through, but because I don't trust the other idiots around me.
I think most people like us, who enjoy driving in bad weather...are the least likely to get in an accident, or at least an accident caused by them. I absolutely love driving in horrible weather, and I think I actually get better the worse the conditions are. Now if I had to drive on one of the crazy busy expressways where I had to worry more about the other guy...I would probably think different, but up here the snowier the better, and even ice doesn't really bother me any more.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:03 AM

4,001 posts, read 4,081,487 times
I worked late last night to bank hours so that I could have time to shovel this morning. I can check that off my list - for now.

It's snowing even harder now. What would make for an excellent day is to snuggle under a blanket on the couch with an SO, watching movies and drinking hot beverages (coffee, tea and/or cocoa)! Mmmmmmm. Does it get better than THAT? I don't think so.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:08 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,111,525 times
Beautiful snowy morning, and I am delaying today's 40-mile commute (from just north of Flint to Waterford) until about 9 am so the traffic will be lighter; apparently I-75 is awful this morning.

I just sold my old truck and for now am just down to one vehicle, which is older and I only have PLPD insurance. So the only thing that makes me cautious about driving is knowing that if I do get into an accident, I currently have no back-up vehicle. I'm considering an older Saab or Subaru wagon for a back-up....have owned both and they are solid, fun cars for winter driving.

Stay safe everyone and keep the shiny side up! I'm going to go shovel snow now...

Old 02-05-2014, 06:11 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,111,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
I worked late last night to bank hours so that I could have time to shovel this morning. I can check that off my list - for now.

It's snowing even harder now. What would make for an excellent day is to snuggle under a blanket on the couch with an SO, watching movies and drinking hot beverages (coffee, tea and/or cocoa)! Mmmmmmm. Does it get better than THAT? I don't think so.
I've worked every day for almost three weeks and to be honest, I'd love to take the day off today and enjoy the snowfall instead of going to work! I'm self-employed so at least I can set my own hours but we're on a deadline with this job so pfffft gotta go to work.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:05 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,925,163 times
I love everything about the snow other that Metro Detroit area commutes on snowy days. However there are "back roads" to get around the mess known as the freeways.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:16 PM

211 posts, read 298,001 times
I'm currently trying to not say anything negative about Detroit or Michigan for a whole month. I hate to say it today has been hard...

I've had some of the worst commutes of my life the past month or so. I've had multiple one way 2+ hr commutes! My commute on summer mornings should only take about 40-45 mins.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:24 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,576,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfactor85 View Post
I'm currently trying to not say anything negative about Detroit or Michigan for a whole month. I hate to say it today has been hard...

I've had some of the worst commutes of my life the past month or so. I've had multiple one way 2+ hr commutes! My commute on summer mornings should only take about 40-45 mins.
A 2 hour commute is awful. I would be mad at the world too if I had to deal with that.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:18 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,925,163 times
My regular 20-25 minute commute has been about five or six occasions this winter where it has taken 1-1.5 hours this year.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:28 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,424,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfactor85 View Post

If it makes you feel any better, Denver has been pretty bad the last few days, too. Fortunately, I leave home at about 6am and leave work around 4pm. So I end up missing a lot of the bad traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan