Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 06:13 PM

104 posts, read 241,655 times

Advertisements

Despite population growth, more people left Michigan in 2013 than moved in

Quote:
"The state's population grew by 13,103 to 9,895,622 in 2013, marking the second consecutive year of growth after seven years of decline. It was the 34th highest increase among the 50 states..."

"The population growth came from the fact that there were more births (113,202) than deaths (88,718)."

"But that gain was diminished by a net migration of -11,051 — while international immigration added a net 17,488 people, the state lost a net 28,539 to domestic emigration."

"Michigan ranked 14th highest for international migration into the state, but 45th for domestic migration. It ranked 49th for total net migration."
Anything unexpected here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 06:44 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSwartz View Post
No , but a few things not considered. Michigan , to the surprise of many is mostly a rural State. Yes. We got a lot of fresh water off our shores, and in the middle mostly farm and farmers. Then there are the pockets of problems , a few real big cities. Throw in the fruit growing in the SW parts of the state where migrant workers dominate the real movement of people depending on the crops seasons.

Bottom line , Michigan is actually four states or areas ! SW where everything revolves around truck farming , then metro Detroit a place all alone that has little to do with the others. The entire UP where most activity is shared with Wisconsin........Now that's three , last are the areas infested with population not very well connected to others , like Detroit......Grand Rapids , Lansing , midland have their own wins and loosers.... Michigan is so diverse it's hard to pin down any real numbers.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:38 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
I'd be curious to see the break down of the numbers. I know for the later half of the last decade, most out-migration was due to job loss. But I suspect that the future trend, not just for Michigan but many large northern states, is a steady out-migration for retirees flocking to Florida or other southern states. Either way, I don't think it's necessarily bad as long as there is population growth.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:03 AM

21,132 posts, read 19,714,475 times
I don't have a problem with declining population as long as we can keep up with vacant housing demolition.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:31 AM

261 posts, read 418,206 times
I wonder what states and cities they're moving to and what kind of jobs are they getting? I'm in Austin, Texas and hardly ever do I see a Michigan license plate. But everytime I go to Houston I almost always see at least one Michigan plate. When I lived in Houston in the 70's, I'd see cars from Michigan nearly everyday. Back then, there was Michiganders all over Houston. I think it was around 1976 I worked in an oil drilling equipment factory in Sugarland, just outside of Houston, and of the 13 guys in our department, 6 were from Michigan.

Last edited by qwertyasdf; 02-04-2014 at 04:39 AM..

Old 02-04-2014, 06:33 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyasdf View Post
I wonder what states and cities they're moving to and what kind of jobs are they getting? I'm in Austin, Texas and hardly ever do I see a Michigan license plate. But everytime I go to Houston I almost always see at least one Michigan plate. When I lived in Houston in the 70's, I'd see cars from Michigan nearly everyday. Back then, there was Michiganders all over Houston. I think it was around 1976 I worked in an oil drilling equipment factory in Sugarland, just outside of Houston, and of the 13 guys in our department, 6 were from Michigan.
A lot of people from the construction trades (carpenters, plumbers, welders, etc) moved to the Houston area when the construction industry collapsed up here.

Here's the breakdown they're talking about.

American FactFinder - Results *

That -28,000 net domestic out-migration is a lot better than the 103,000 who left Michigan back in 2008.

Other States with negative net domestic migration on that chart:

Illinois
Kansas
Georgia
Mississippi
Missouri
New York and New Jersey (lost way more than Michigan, not a peep from the national media)
Massachusetts
Ohio
Wisconsin
Maryland

Last edited by magellan; 02-04-2014 at 06:41 AM..

Old 02-04-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
I'd be curious to see the break down of the numbers. I know for the later half of the last decade, most out-migration was due to job loss. But I suspect that the future trend, not just for Michigan but many large northern states, is a steady out-migration for retirees flocking to Florida or other southern states. Either way, I don't think it's necessarily bad as long as there is population growth.
Exactly. Look at the New York metro area. I don't think people generally think of it as a metro area that is losing people to other states, but it loses over 100,000 people a year, mostly to Southern states (if you read some of the Southern city forums, there are a lot of New Yorkers moving South).

New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA MSA Population and Components of Change -- Real Estate Center at Texas A&M University Home
(Far right column is number of people who move there from another State minus those who leave NY for another state, a negative number means exactly what it means)

Old 02-04-2014, 06:46 AM

111 posts, read 148,210 times
Is it easy for retirees down in the south

Old 02-04-2014, 06:48 AM

111 posts, read 148,210 times
I think new york is cool

Old 02-04-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrema View Post
I think new york is cool
Millions do wrema. But a lot of people don't think it's cool. More people than Michigan, but you never hear about it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan