Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 05:31 PM

6 posts, read 54,542 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I recently received a ticket for no insurance and an expired plate in Hillsdale County. I have to go to court soon for it but am just wondering what to expect. I have heard hefty fines and possibly jail time. I know I am at fault and expect to plead guilty. I do not want to go to jail though but am willing to pay any fines that are given to me. I have read a lot of other people's posts in Nebraska as well as former cops in NE say that they have never seen anybody go to jail for not having insurance. Just wondering if it's the same in Michigan and what the future might hold for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 05:34 PM

937 posts, read 2,834,335 times
Did you have no proof of insurance or do you actually not have insurance? If you have no proof, just take proof with you to court. Get your plate up to date, and expect to just pay fines. No jail time, dont worry.

Old 11-30-2007, 05:42 PM

6 posts, read 54,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
Did you have no proof of insurance or do you actually not have insurance? If you have no proof, just take proof with you to court. Get your plate up to date, and expect to just pay fines. No jail time, dont worry.
I actually dont have insurance and haven't had for quite a while. I am going to get insurance next Friday, so hopefully my court date isn't before that. I've read that it may help to have insurance and the plates renewed when you go to court.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:18 PM

265 posts, read 814,043 times
Default More fines

Not only will you have to pay a fine, but you will also have to pay another fine, called the driver's responsibility fine, months down the road. Then, on top of that, you may have to pay the same fine a year later. My son just went through this for driving on an expired license. I thought this would be considered double jeopardy, but apparently the state sees things differently.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:44 PM

864 posts, read 1,720,839 times
If you were purposely driving w/o insurance -- no sympathy. I accidentally did for a couple months though but didn't get caught except by the insurance company. They refused to cover me again until I went 6 mo's with a different (higher premium) company. It sucked.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:19 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,303 times
I'd expect hefty fines and points on your license ... but jail time? I doubt it. Having proof of valid insurance and plates when you go to court will help, I'm sure.

Those Hillsdale cops must be aggressive. They got my wife several years ago for something like 65 in a 55 ... only ticket she's ever gotten.

Too bad Michigan isn't like some other states, where you're not required to carry insurance. Out here in Virginia, you can pay a fee at the DMV and opt out. I'd never advise it, but at least it's nice that some states respect your freedom of choice. You could always get the ACLU involved and turn it into a crusade against compulsory coverage.

But since that isn't likely, I'll just wish you good luck instead.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:00 AM

316 posts, read 1,181,826 times
The driver responsibility fee will not be months down the road, try about one week from the time you get your ticket. Hillsdale cops have nothing better to do then pull people over.
The fee for driving without insurance is 200 dollars a year for 2 years. For excessive points, above 7 I do believe, is think 500. Depending on your situation you may have both.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:57 AM

485 posts, read 966,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
I'd expect hefty fines and points on your license ... but jail time? I doubt it. Having proof of valid insurance and plates when you go to court will help, I'm sure.

Those Hillsdale cops must be aggressive. They got my wife several years ago for something like 65 in a 55 ... only ticket she's ever gotten.

Too bad Michigan isn't like some other states, where you're not required to carry insurance. Out here in Virginia, you can pay a fee at the DMV and opt out. I'd never advise it, but at least it's nice that some states respect your freedom of choice. You could always get the ACLU involved and turn it into a crusade against compulsory coverage.

But since that isn't likely, I'll just wish you good luck instead.
I know you are joking about the compulsory coverage (at least I hope so) but those who drive without insurance are the reason the rest of us get socked with $140/auto annually for the Michigan Underinsured Fund (or something like that). A few random check-lanes (for insured drivers), especially in Detroit, would drastically reduce the amount needed for that fund when we get more uninsured drivers off the road. Hey, I hate paying for insurance as much as anyone, however, it's the cost of owning a car.

If we didn't have this law enforced at all (with substantial penalties), we'd be paying even more to this fund. It's like complaining about the meter-maids that leave parking tickets. They are easy to hate when it's you that gets the ticket, however, without them enforcing the parking laws, there would never be open parking spots when we need them.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:18 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
If you go to court still not having insurance and expired plates, I'd kiss your butt goodbye. The judge may decide to make you an example and throw you in jail for a while.

Why no insurance and why no plates? Forget to pay or no money? If you can't afford to own an automobile, including your full responsibilities, you should really be riding the bus.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:38 AM

84 posts, read 364,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
Too bad Michigan isn't like some other states, where you're not required to carry insurance.
There was a time when insurance wasn't required, years ago. I remember paying into something called an "Uninsured Motorists Fund" (or something like that) at the SOS. Didn't need to carry a liability policy; you were out the door with your plate(s) after something like $45.

Then no-fault came along and everything changed. Dunno if it's been a good thing or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan