Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 05:56 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,794,086 times

Advertisements

Just saw thread highlight.

Diversify the industries, that's the lesson Texas learned after the oil bust in the late 70s.

Don't let the politicians and unions ruin the industries and hence the middle class.

Gotta do something, too many people are trying to move to Texas from MI & Oh sight unseen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 06:45 PM

107 posts, read 355,993 times
I've been trying to move to Michigan for over 10 years now- the main thing that has blocked me - Companies are paid by the state to hire people who live there first before anybody else... hardly fair for a person who is qualified to work there but job (edited from saying c**k) blocked by the state.. the only way I got any bites was because I used a friend of mine's house address in Portage until me moved to TEXAS.. how is that for irony?

Old 03-26-2014, 10:03 AM

110 posts, read 168,800 times
I'm kind of in Bearcat's boat. (Oh, to live in a state where boating's a thing.) I've only been looking for three years, but still. Anyway, I'm off to toss a resume at another MI job right now. Wish me luck! (Or not, depending on your point of view.)

Old 03-27-2014, 07:17 PM

9,885 posts, read 9,496,405 times
oh if i could bring my job with me all the way to Michigan, (or maybe i have to wait till i retire) I'd be there right quick.

to get someone to go to Michigan, just take them there and let Michigan's beauty speak for itself.

I heard over and over a lot of people just go there, fall in love and they more there shortly. It captivates you that much.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:17 AM

107 posts, read 355,993 times
Well this week I was told something that gave me a little bit of hope- my company told me I will be moved to an account in Michigan either late 2014 or early 2015.. I cringed knowing who the heck wants to move during winter?!

Old 04-10-2014, 08:23 AM

389 posts, read 467,467 times
My mindset has completely changed since last year, I'm that young guy that wanted to move to nyc... Anyways, I want to move to Detroit and be a part of the turnaround, last year I was bashing Detroit lol.

Also I'm in Florida for a little bit, my gosh it's beautiful, we live in a beautiful country, each place has something to offer, but can we improve upon what we have here is the question.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:45 AM

123 posts, read 198,570 times
Well here's one person moving from Texas to Michigan in the next year. While I appreciate the good living I have made in Houston over the years, it's never really felt like home. And the sweltering heat from May to October negates the lack of winter for me.

I bet you will see a lot of folks like me that left the state in the 70's and 80's coming home as they near retirement. Michigan is a beautiful state and there is no experience that I have found in Texas that approaches the trips to the UP or the dunes on Lake Michigan or a hundred other "Up North" trips I took growing up in Warren.

Anyone who thinks that the shrinking slums of Detroit represents Michigan is a fool. So see you all soon.I'm already scoping out houses on Trulia. Ferndale looks like the front runner for now. Man have prices gone up!

Old 06-21-2014, 12:12 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,694,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Palm trees are a novelty that wear off quickly. They offer no shade, they are messy, and in some species with rough bark and lots of little hiding places in their trunks, bugs and scorpions just love to live in them.

We were in Florida a couple of weeks ago and a resident of Punta Gorda was actually complaining about palm trees vs. the trees "back home". He was complaining that when it gets hot in Florida, there is nowhere to go to get out of the sun, because palm trees don't offer any shade like the "big, old maples back home". When we lived in the Phoenix area briefly a couple of years ago, a realtor told us to avoid a yard with lots of palm trees because tarantulas and scorpions make their homes in them and then you have issues.

LOL. Pretty in pictures, but not too functional in real life, I guess.
There are could who say the same about this:

Rust Wire » Blog Archive » Michigan CEO: Soul-Crushing Sprawl Killing Business

Old 06-23-2014, 03:28 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,592,361 times
I've wanted to relocate here since December! Can't leave PA without a job... so please hire me, Detroit!

Old 07-03-2014, 06:59 PM

6 posts, read 10,202 times
i'll trade homes with someone up around Lewiston, Mio, Houghton Lake area...down here in Melbourne Florida, just saying....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan