Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 08:26 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,067,555 times

Advertisements

Beccacary, you're going to love Michigan. I moved here eight years ago (husband is a Michigander) from California, where people are very friendly- but here, they are even friendlier, lol (especially in the U.P. where we live, but we've lived in N. MI as well as downstate)- and the beauty of this state just leaves you breathless, looking up at the beautiful sky, and smiling!

Well, that's what it does to me, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 08:52 PM

7 posts, read 12,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
That's a pretty hefty accusation, and some scary sh*t if true. Did you press charges?
Yes we did, but the Apex police department said there was not enough evidence that my neighbors did the crime. We even showed the police the bowl that was lying next to our garage and that it was our neighbors bowl.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:34 PM

325 posts, read 369,567 times
Beccacary,

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. Though I'm not familiar with NC per se, I do know that behavior is not standard for most people, even in the South. Also, you can expect crime anywhere. I grew up in Texas, never experienced a crime, then moved to Los Angeles and was once shot in the arm by a handmade gun and bullet (lug nut wrapped in duct tape) in ten years of living there. I've lived in the GR area--Holland, to be exact--and I've been the victim of grand theft and sexual assault (guy whipped his you know what out at me and my kids at the grocery store). All of that to say, you can't escape crime or even uneducated thinking.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:43 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,060,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beccacary View Post
What colleges are located nearby? Thanks for replying

Calvin COllege, Grand Valley State,Western Michigan has an extension, Grand Rapida Community COllege, Ferris STate, Aquinas College. I was surprised at the global mentality of the Calvin students as well as the Aquinas folks. As was mentioned, look around Heritage Hill, and East Town. East Town is more Bohemian and I thought quite nice.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:07 PM

7 posts, read 12,887 times
I just wanted to say thank you for everyone's help. My husband and I are coming up next weekend to go house hunting.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:19 PM

372 posts, read 596,998 times
Grand Rapids is a beautiful area, happy hunting.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:22 PM

2 posts, read 3,909 times
Default We just moved to Grand Rapids from Alpharetta, GA

I know exactly what you mean about Apex. A friend ( Michigander ) lives in Garner and she described Apex in the exact same way.
I am very familiar with Cary as well and have friends there too.
I was raised in Milwaukee and lived in Saginaw for 30 years.
Atlanta was a good move in 2006 but in 2013 it was time to leave.
I miss the flowers year round but the weather does have its challenges there
But winter sure was a rude awakening after being away from it for so long.
We always traveled here at the holidays but it sure is different to be living in it every day again .
East grand rapids is a beautiful area. I think you would like it.
If you want a good real estate agent we met a wonderful one when we
were relocating in December.
This is a very conservative area. That may be hard to get away from.
The cost of living is less than Atlanta, not sure how it compares to Apex.
GR is 45 min from the beaches in Grand Haven. My husband commuted into Atlanta every day so driving in GR for him is very easy. He also works down town. How old are your children!

Old 03-11-2014, 07:31 PM

1,149 posts, read 1,580,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beccacary View Post
Hey all, My husband and I are considering moving to Grand rapids. We now live in Apex North Carolina, but we are not to fond of North Carolina. One of the number of reasons that makes us want to move back to the Midwest is how the people act down here. They are uneducated and rude. Also the weather here is making us sick, it can be 70 one day and 20 the next with snow. Living in Wisconsin I can't recall anytime when the weather was that extreme during the heart of Winter. It was usually in the 20s with snow which I can handle. I am really hoping that Grand Rapids could be our new home, I never thought of moving to Michigan until my husband was offer a job in Grand Rapids. Here's what my husband and I are looking for in Grand Rapids, Educated, friendly, Liberal, and good schools. Also, what is the best area of Grand Rapids to live in with a 100,000 to 400,000 price range. thanks, Becca
Couple things. One, the weather in Michigan is just as unpredictable, if not more so, than North Carolina.

Also, western Michigan is extraordinarily conservative and religious. Grand Rapids might be a fairly intellectual area, but it's isolated and surrounded by rural communities. Michigan is a southern state stuck in the North in that regard. HIghly anti-intellectual and "salt of the earth" type people.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:39 PM

4 posts, read 4,025 times
Hello Michigan Residents,
I live in southern California but always have fond memories of Holland, Michigan. I lived there from 1975-1978 when I was ten years old. I've been thinking a lot about moving back there. Can someone tell me if there are people in Michigan that takes care of people's yard? Such as plowing snow in winter, raking leaves in fall, and mowing grass in summer. If yes, what is the average price?

Old 03-11-2014, 09:41 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,548,925 times
VM1138 posted about what I was going to write.

GR is one of the bright spots in Michigan in terms of the economy, and having a job waiting will make a huge difference. That said, you will probably find Ann Arbor much more to your liking in terms of both politics and schools, which is not to run down GR because there are some good schools there, but there is a strong conservative element, which I happen to think is a good thing, but my opinions aren't at issue here.

We had a saying when I was growing up in MI: "If you don't like the weather, wait a minute!"

I agree with you on the Midwest attitude. I, too, had some problems in NC and was very happy to continue living in the Midwest. No disrespect to the good folks around Cary! But the culture wasn't a good fit for me.

I hope you have a safe trip! Keep an eye on the weather. There's a late-season snow storm brewing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan