Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 09:47 PM

4 posts, read 4,027 times

Advertisements

Hi Mostie, I live in CA (Orange County). I've been thinking a lot about moving out of Orange County because the cost of living is getting very high. How do you handle from 365 days of sunshine with mild weather going to snowy storm winters in Michigan? Can you tell me the negatives of living in Michigan that people would not know unless they live there? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
Beccacary, you're going to love Michigan. I moved here eight years ago (husband is a Michigander) from California, where people are very friendly- but here, they are even friendlier, lol (especially in the U.P. where we live, but we've lived in N. MI as well as downstate)- and the beauty of this state just leaves you breathless, looking up at the beautiful sky, and smiling!

Well, that's what it does to me, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 08:37 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,779,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
Couple things. One, the weather in Michigan is just as unpredictable, if not more so, than North Carolina.

Also, western Michigan is extraordinarily conservative and religious. Grand Rapids might be a fairly intellectual area, but it's isolated and surrounded by rural communities. Michigan is a southern state stuck in the North in that regard. HIghly anti-intellectual and "salt of the earth" type people.
"Thanks" - The People of Grand Rapids

Old 03-12-2014, 10:41 AM

112 posts, read 211,805 times
We have friends that live in East Grand Rapids. It is a nice area. You better like snow as it snows a lot. Also, property taxes are quite high in Michigan depending on where you live. The schools really ramp it up.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:46 AM

112 posts, read 211,805 times
I moved from California to Michigan. Depending on if you like to be outside for activity during the winter might affect how you look at it. Michigan is a beautiful state. If you can make it through the winter I think Spring, Summer and Autumn are wonderful. It snows very heavy in some areas. I like Michigan better than California.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:30 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,537,820 times
especially if you survived THIS winter

Old 03-12-2014, 09:00 PM

4 posts, read 4,027 times
Hi Christopher,
I'm 49 years old living in Orange County California. I've been thinking about moving to MI but afraid of the drastic change. Can you tell me if MI has people taking care of your lawns for low price like how it is here in California? Also, would the snow be difficult for older people to keep their balance when walking or increase arthritis pain? Are there any negatives that I should expect before deciding to move to Michigan? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher777 View Post
I moved from California to Michigan. Depending on if you like to be outside for activity during the winter might affect how you look at it. Michigan is a beautiful state. If you can make it through the winter I think Spring, Summer and Autumn are wonderful. It snows very heavy in some areas. I like Michigan better than California.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:24 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,899,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnes of Rome View Post
Hi Christopher,
I'm 49 years old living in Orange County California. I've been thinking about moving to MI but afraid of the drastic change. Can you tell me if MI has people taking care of your lawns for low price like how it is here in California? Also, would the snow be difficult for older people to keep their balance when walking or increase arthritis pain? Are there any negatives that I should expect before deciding to move to Michigan? Thanks!
There are lawncare pros who charge a higher price than someone with lower overhead. Both are usually available. for a small lawn I had basic lawn care, raking, winter shoveling, etc from a small independent business for $8 per visit.
In winter you probably will be required by law to keep your sidewalks clear of snow and ice, and you are always open to lawsuits for slip-and-fall accidents on either the public sidewalk or walkways on your own property. That is some concern, but doesn't happen often. Outside of cities there may not be sidewalks, and foot traffic is in the roads by necessity.
Sounds like city life is best if you must walk everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan