Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 12:52 PM

57 posts, read 76,885 times

Advertisements

I happen to be leasing an Audi A4 Prestige presently, and of all the cars I have ever owned/leased - the Audi is absolutely the best (by a wide margin) car I have ever had the pleasure of driving. It makes all other cars look like beaters, especially when it comes to the interior craftsmanship. I thought about getting the A6 or A7, but these are too big for my taste - I like sporty, smaller cars. I'd say go for it and don't worry about what your boss (or anyone else) thinks.

Also, since I am the chief at my company of 75 employees, I can tell you that what you are suggesting, that a supervisor/boss/officer would frown upon an employee for driving a superior car to their own, should not matter to them with respect to the person's effectiveness at their job. If the boss is affected by this, then he or she is insecure, and probably not an effective leader, and you should find a career elsewhere I have no problem with someone driving whatever they desire and in fact, I am interested in what other people drive only for conversations sake and my interest in cars. Also, I know that if someone is driving a car that makes them happy, then they will be a happier person at work - which is good for all.

Obviously, if someone arrived at work driving a Maserati Quattroporte, and it didn't match their income, I would be wondering about their "other" source of income - yes? But this is only natural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 05:18 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,966,989 times
First off Audi sucks, not reliable, and second to have a better car than your boss is a bad idea if you want to get along at your job. Never live beyond your means, and always live far under them. Put the money in an IRA get a nice reliable Toyota or Nissan and forgetabout it.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:49 PM

57 posts, read 76,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
First off Audi sucks, not reliable, and second to have a better car than your boss is a bad idea if you want to get along at your job. Never live beyond your means, and always live far under them. Put the money in an IRA get a nice reliable Toyota or Nissan and forgetabout it.
I haven't laughed that hard in awhile - such a polarizing comment!

Interesting perspective though.

The OP didn't ask for financial advice or training in how to become a tightwad.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:27 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,343,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSeven View Post
I haven't laughed that hard in awhile - such a polarizing comment!

Interesting perspective though.

The OP didn't ask for financial advice or training in how to become a tightwad.
lol, we're all armchair experts

Old 03-16-2014, 04:31 PM

4,266 posts, read 5,896,077 times
After 38 years of working in the automotive industry, which includes discounts on new cars, I buy used vehicles. Too much depreciation too fast, and let the first owner get the whiny little problems fixed before you buy the car. If you keep it clean and shiny most folks can't tell if it is new, two years old, or four years old.

Also consider vehicle service and repair. Don't buy any brand, new or used, which does not have readily available service technicians where you will be living or working.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:09 PM

40 posts, read 128,183 times
I own Honda's because the affordability and reliability match my needs at this time. A C-class Mercedes would be a nice addition but I have an issue with street parking a car worth over $20k in Chicago.

A longterm focus should include buying a low maintennace, fuel efficent, and safe sedan. Foreign or domestic = your call. A wouldn't go for a Hummer for example.

Nothing is given and you are only young once. You have the rest of your life to drive a mini van. Just make sure to put some money away each month, fully match any 401k investments, and have a 6 month savings reserve.

If this criteria is met, then get a nice car. I wouldn't finance for more than 4 years. A true boss isn't concerned with your car anyways. I also look at it as people like to do business with succesfull people (the car may help that image) and the more money you spend the harder you are going to have to work to cover those commitments.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:10 AM

865 posts, read 1,712,134 times
Buying an expensive car like that is pure foolishness. There are too many other things that you should be doing with it. Do you own a house? Is it paid off? If not, that's where the money should go. If the answer were somehow yes then the next question would be related to retirement. The earlier you can put money into a 401K or IRA --the longer it will have to grow and you're going to need every last day.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:17 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,826,414 times
Pretty sure your boss has enough money to drive a better car than you... so the fact that you have a better one would probably make no difference in his eyes.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:14 AM

991 posts, read 1,220,607 times
Some people (bosses included) will resent someone who has nice things ... esp. a nubie. Yes, those people are ... jerks (to keep it "G" rated) ... but unfortunately if you work for someone else, their opinion matters A lot depends on the culture of your place of employment. Heck, it used to be that driving a foreign car in MI was enough to get you ostracized.

Those talking about cars being a waste of $$$ are technically correct ... but everyone needs "hobbles" right :-)

But ... other things to consider
Closest dealership ?? Do you really want to drive 50+ miles for warrantee service? Or you will need to find a good local mechanic.
Cost of insurance ... an Audi will be more than a Honda/Chevy.
Cost of maintenance ... $100 oil changes, $2,000 for high-performance tires every 20,000 miles, etc. (Unless they are running a maintenance included sale ... and then your are back to the " drive an hour to the dealer problem".
Plus, unless your making $100,000+, $900 to $1,100 monthly car payments get old quickly

Just my $0.02

Congrats on your degree and new career !!!

Old 03-31-2014, 09:19 PM

5,697 posts, read 19,083,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSeven View Post
I happen to be leasing an Audi A4 Prestige presently, and of all the cars I have ever owned/leased - the Audi is absolutely the best (by a wide margin) car I have ever had the pleasure of driving. It makes all other cars look like beaters, especially when it comes to the interior craftsmanship. I thought about getting the A6 or A7, but these are too big for my taste - I like sporty, smaller cars. I'd say go for it and don't worry about what your boss (or anyone else) thinks.

Also, since I am the chief at my company of 75 employees, I can tell you that what you are suggesting, that a supervisor/boss/officer would frown upon an employee for driving a superior car to their own, should not matter to them with respect to the person's effectiveness at their job. If the boss is affected by this, then he or she is insecure, and probably not an effective leader, and you should find a career elsewhere I have no problem with someone driving whatever they desire and in fact, I am interested in what other people drive only for conversations sake and my interest in cars. Also, I know that if someone is driving a car that makes them happy, then they will be a happier person at work - which is good for all.

Obviously, if someone arrived at work driving a Maserati Quattroporte, and it didn't match their income, I would be wondering about their "other" source of income - yes? But this is only natural.
I agree with the bolded statement. I think sometimes it does matter. I had an experience in my early 20's where it did matter on what I drove according to an insecure boss. I leased a little red sports car that we got a deal on because my husband's uncle ran a dealership. We had the car a year and then I started a new job. The owner of the company didn't give anyone the time of day and I don't think he even thought twice about me until he saw me at a red light one day in my car. He did a double take, beeped and waved at me. I waved back, thought it was cool. :roll eyes: The next day he asked me about my car and what kind it was. 6 months later he had to lay some people off because the company was struggling. I was one of the chosen. I was visually upset during the exit interview and he said, "You seem to be doing alright for yourself. You will be okay." I feel he made that statement because he had seen what I was driving. The company ended up failing so it would have happened anyway but that statement bothered me. I don't think its the norm though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan