Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 10:02 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,642,358 times

Advertisements

Now I don't mean to be a jerk, but I will probably come across as such, but let's think about this rationally for a moment.

What is Bigfoot? Well, it's an alleged furry bipedal hominid, roughly human sized, that lives in the trees and is very elusive. Okay, sure, I can believe such a creature exists. We have chimpanzees, bonobos, gibbons, and many others. Here's the thing though, as elusive as they are researchers throughout the world have found them, captured them, studied them, put them in zoos. I have seen them and probably have pictures of chimpanzees from the zoo somewhere on my smart phone - and good photos, with faces and lighting and stuff - not like a shadowy blob obstructed by a haze and a tree taken from 100 meters away. I think it's reasonable to say that the "Bigfoot" species is bigger than a chimpanzee, right? If we can locate and know really all there is to know about chimps and bonobos, why has nobody in the history of everything ever given solid, peer-reviewed data that Bigfoot exists?

Let's talk genetics now. What is Bigfoot? Well I think some claim it's the "missing link" species that fills in the gap between primates and humans, but... no such gap exists. Let's start with Australopithecus, which I think one could make the point is the last "primitive" ancestor we have. They were around from about 4 to 1.2 million years ago. We have countless fossils and even some archaeological data that implies they used tools.

But humans are not those things, right? Right! Humans are of the genus Homo. The first widespread existence of the geneus Homo is the Homo Habilis. It's a bit more human looking, but still could pass as not-human. They came one the scene about 2.8 million years ago. They lived at the same time as Australopithecus. Not long later, we find the Homo Ergaster and the Homo Erectus. These species were both around about 1.9 million years ago and in the case of Homo Erectus stuck around well into the days of humans. Those things look a bit more human, don't they?

There are a number of other hominids predating modern humans, each becoming more and more like you and I, but I want to finally talk about the Neanderthal. This one exists right along side of modern humans, and being of European decent, I have some latent DNA from these creatures. This was another species, that lived right along side humans and we have evidence they bred with us, interacted with us and in some ways, became us. If you went back 40,000 years and met a neanderthal, you would recognize it as human. Different, but still human. Much in the same way a house cat would recognize the African Wildcat or a Siberian Husky may recognize a wolf, as being the "same."

So where does Bigfoot fit in? A hairy beast that looks half ape, half man, walks on two legs and has absolutely zero social skills (which, by the way, are quite important for hominids in propagating the species).

Am I supposed to believe this species exists and that somehow, despite all the technology and conspiracy theorists, has never actually been found? That it manages it continue reproducing with other "Bigfoots" and that their habitat extends everywhere from Western Washington to Northern Michigan to the Appalachians, but leaves no trace?

I get it, it's fun. I hate admitting this, but sometimes I still watch "Pro" wrestling (like the WWF stuff). Not because it's real, but because it entertains me, takes me back to Jr. High, and makes me laugh. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I feel like the Bigfoot searchers really believe such a species may still exist. It's only a matter of time until someone finds it, right? *shrug* maybe I'm just old and boring and lack an imagination. I wouldn't disagree with that accusation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 08:55 PM

91 posts, read 296,533 times
Bigfoot Sighting on Michigan Live Eagle Cam!

Old 06-06-2017, 05:35 AM

2,335 posts, read 2,896,539 times
Bigfoot has also been sighted in Detroit a few years ago: link to article.

Quote:
What you don’t expect to see on your real estate tour: a “strange, ape-like creature” climbing out of the window of an abandoned home.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:14 AM

2,741 posts, read 2,959,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onni View Post
Bigfoot Sighting on Michigan Live Eagle Cam!

You know people KNOW where that camera is, and fake these all the time, right? That's a guy in a suit.

It's pretty popular up here to find trailcam's, remove the memory card, load faked footage on it, and then replace the card for the owner to find.

Viola', "Bigfoot" or whatever. In this case he just had to put on a suit, and wander around in the cameras field of view.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:40 AM

30,701 posts, read 79,356,279 times
My brother wears size 12 1/2 shoes.. that is pretty big feet!

Oh wait, you want a story. I wonce put on my brothers shoes by accident. I felt like I was wearing my clown shoes and I kept tripping, so I took them off and found my shoes.

Hows that?

Old 06-11-2017, 08:12 PM

850 posts, read 1,888,742 times
I enjoyed your stories, sorry the douchebags had to ruin your thread. Whether it's real or not, it's fun to speculate and talk about it. Some people can't enjoy life unless they are belittling others I guess....

Old 06-12-2017, 01:17 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,637,612 times
My brother wore a size 14...and he was only 5'10.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
My brother wore a size 14...and he was only 5'10.
Holy Moley!. He almost got taller when he laid down. Now there is a big foot.

Old 07-29-2018, 11:01 PM

91 posts, read 296,533 times
Bigfoot Evidence Leads To Conference In The UP Of Michigan

Old 07-30-2018, 04:54 PM

Muldoons Pasties and gifts in Munising is all about Bigfoot. Some locals told me the lady there puts out left over pasties for bigfoot to eat on certain nights. I did see a bigfoot right in front of the store, but it appeared to be dead.

The Muldoon's lady knows all the stories, but she does not seem inclined to talk about them. She probably does nto want to be laughed at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan