Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 10:19 PM

6 posts, read 9,281 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am originally from SE Michigan but must admit that I did not travel much while in the area.

I have lived in Western Michigan the past few years and am considering moving back to the SE side of the state for school and to be closer to family. However, I really love the towns that I have discovered on the west side of the state . I love small towns that have things going on, a "dowtown", and overall sense of community.

Examples of towns that I really like on the West side are Paw Paw, Mattawan, and Marshall. Are there similar towns within close-ish proximity of Ann Arbor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 10:49 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,891,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberlh View Post
Hello all,

I am originally from SE Michigan but must admit that I did not travel much while in the area.

I have lived in Western Michigan the past few years and am considering moving back to the SE side of the state for school and to be closer to family. However, I really love the towns that I have discovered on the west side of the state . I love small towns that have things going on, a "dowtown", and overall sense of community.

Examples of towns that I really like on the West side are Paw Paw, Mattawan, and Marshall. Are there similar towns within close-ish proximity of Ann Arbor?
Pinckney, Saline, Brighton, Chelsea, Dexter. Brighton slightly less laid-back than the others due to being on two major arteries. Pinckney and Chelsea are quaint and amidst large recreation areas.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 03-08-2014 at 11:49 PM..

Old 03-09-2014, 07:23 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,250,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Pinckney, Saline, Brighton, Chelsea, Dexter. Brighton slightly less laid-back than the others due to being on two major arteries. Pinckney and Chelsea are quaint and amidst large recreation areas.
I agree with all of the above. Also, although it is a bit farther out in Lenawee County, Tecumseh is a wonderful little town with a thriving downtown business district, quaint shops, and unique restaurants.

I live in Dundee, which is about a 25 min. drive south of Ann Arbor. It also has the cute, small town feel, but not as much retail or, dare I say, sophistication as Tecumseh or the other towns the PP listed above. Cabela's is the big deal around here and has brought a lot of new commercial construction and restaurants to this small town, so it has more to offer than your typical rural farming community. Other than Cabela's though, if you are looking for shopping you are pretty much limited to Walgreens, Dollar General, Tractor Supply, a Christmas store, and a candle store. It is safe and friendly, though!

Old 03-09-2014, 11:59 AM
YAZ

7,697 posts, read 14,006,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post

I like the Grand River Ave. Corridor that runs from South Lyon NW to Fowlerville. While pricey, it's close to AA & Detroit for concerts & sports.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:08 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,891,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post

I like the Grand River Ave. Corridor that runs from South Lyon NW to Fowlerville. While pricey, it's close to AA & Detroit for concerts & sports.
Alcoholics Anonymous? But seriously, I get what you mean. North-south routes move pretty well from that corridor south to jobs.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:11 PM

9 posts, read 12,045 times
Idk if this counts as SE, but I consider myself there. Birmingham is a really nice area, as well as Milford. They both have these little downtown area's that look like this:
Birmingham is extremely expensive though, I think the lowest priced house that I found there was about 500k,

Old 07-01-2015, 09:07 PM

447 posts, read 491,460 times
I live on the west side myself, but I will but in my two cents here.
If you like Mattawan, Paw Paw, and Marshall then you are going to love Dexter and Chelsea. I personally like a more urban environment, but if I ever move to the east side, then I could be swayed to live in one of those two cities.

Note: I believe that the actor Jeff Danials lives in Chelsea. He can afford to live anywhere that he wants, but he chose that town. Speaks volumes about the place.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:14 PM

447 posts, read 491,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keegaan View Post
Idk if this counts as SE, but I consider myself there. Birmingham is a really nice area, as well as Milford. They both have these little downtown area's that look like this:
Birmingham is extremely expensive though, I think the lowest priced house that I found there was about 500k,
Birmingham is very nice too. Has more of an urban feel that I love, however I do not know if that is what the OP is looking for. The the towns that he gave as an example are more of a small town exurb, surrounded by a few miles of rural area , yet still very close to cities.

I still think that Chelsea or Dexter would be a great fit for him.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:55 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,122,753 times
What about Plymouth of Northville???????????????/

Old 05-17-2016, 12:15 PM

6 posts, read 9,281 times
I ended up staying on the west side to pursue graduate school. I am now finishing up and planning to move to the east side so I thought I would come back to see if anyone had responded. I am surprised with all of the recommendations! Thank you! I will check into some of these areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan