Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 11:51 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,262,971 times

Advertisements

I tried and tried to convince my wife NOT to let our niece and her low life boyfriend stay with us. I was still down in Indy and they were crying a river. " I'm pregnant, we can't afford where we live, we have to save money for the baby etc etc"
Within a week of them moving in he quit his job. There was no rental agreement they agreed it would just be a couple months. All we asked is that they pay their way, food, electric etc. Well the turd quit his job and we got nothing from them for almost 2 months. Trouble started from the get go, things missing and knowing he took it but they would lie and nobody seen it so we let it slide. It was just simple petty crap. Finally I had enough and I threw them out. They have been gone for 2 months and they refuse to come and get the rest of their belongings. I have made every attempt to have them come get it, even told them we were selling the house ( and at the time we were on the verge of it) and we still have heard nothing. They did come and take some of it and then the low life stole the knobs off the washing machine he gave us. Key word being GAVE. He wanted nothing for it until I threw them out. I told her if he shows up everyone is instructed to call the police. Neither ever had their license registered to our address, in fact he had a suspended license. They left when asked, they didn't put up a fight. They knew they screwed up by screwing people who tried to help them. Stole from my son, stole a gas can. Just stupid stuff. Like I said trouble from the get go.
So this leaves me with a room full of crap. Clothes, a crib, a bed, an old tv. I packed everything for them and made it real easy to come and get. Yet 2 months later it still sits. What would you do? Like I said, there was never any kind of agreement for length or rent or anything. It was just family doing another family member a favor. ( Never again by the way) We have my wifes dying aunt here with us and as it turns out they were really nasty to her. So frustrated this happened, but my wife wears her heart on her sleeve and can't tell people no. Well now she can lol
Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 12:20 PM

20,879 posts, read 19,345,190 times
What day is trash pick-up?

Old 03-18-2014, 12:22 PM

493 posts, read 1,440,117 times
If they don't want the things, I'd say give them to charity and be done with it.
You've given them ample opportunity to pick them up.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:31 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,200,559 times
Put it in a rented storage locker.

Pay the first month and give them the information so they can either get their things or, pay for more time.

You pay no more.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:03 PM

169 posts, read 268,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
I tried and tried to convince my wife NOT to let our niece and her low life boyfriend stay with us. I was still down in Indy and they were crying a river. " I'm pregnant, we can't afford where we live, we have to save money for the baby etc etc"
Within a week of them moving in he quit his job. There was no rental agreement they agreed it would just be a couple months. All we asked is that they pay their way, food, electric etc. Well the turd quit his job and we got nothing from them for almost 2 months. Trouble started from the get go, things missing and knowing he took it but they would lie and nobody seen it so we let it slide. It was just simple petty crap. Finally I had enough and I threw them out. They have been gone for 2 months and they refuse to come and get the rest of their belongings. I have made every attempt to have them come get it, even told them we were selling the house ( and at the time we were on the verge of it) and we still have heard nothing. They did come and take some of it and then the low life stole the knobs off the washing machine he gave us. Key word being GAVE. He wanted nothing for it until I threw them out. I told her if he shows up everyone is instructed to call the police. Neither ever had their license registered to our address, in fact he had a suspended license. They left when asked, they didn't put up a fight. They knew they screwed up by screwing people who tried to help them. Stole from my son, stole a gas can. Just stupid stuff. Like I said trouble from the get go.
So this leaves me with a room full of crap. Clothes, a crib, a bed, an old tv. I packed everything for them and made it real easy to come and get. Yet 2 months later it still sits. What would you do? Like I said, there was never any kind of agreement for length or rent or anything. It was just family doing another family member a favor. ( Never again by the way) We have my wifes dying aunt here with us and as it turns out they were really nasty to her. So frustrated this happened, but my wife wears her heart on her sleeve and can't tell people no. Well now she can lol
Any ideas? www.wilson-roofing.com Vancouver Roofer, Vancouver Roofing,
That is DISGUSTING!

Grown adults acting like greedy little ungrateful brats...

Toss all their belongings in the garbage without a single ounce of remorse.

Its obviously their junk is not that important to them anyways.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:34 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,535,357 times
I would give them one more written warning...they have until this weekend to come and get their stuff or it will be thrown away. I would keep documentation, although they way you describe them...they probably wouldn't take you to court. I hate to see FAMILY take advantage of FAMILY.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:48 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,253,733 times
Speaking as someone who owned rental property for several years, be very careful about throwing their stuff away. Even though that is what they deserve, the law always seems to be on the side of the lowlife in these situations, and I would hate to see them have an opportunity to take you to small claims court or otherwise try to get some kind of retribution, either monetarily or through you having to buy new things to replace what you threw away. It seems like it should be so cut and dried: they are ignorant and lazy and won't come get their things so you can just pitch their stuff. Still...try to find out what your options are legally so that they don't end up having the last laugh. Our properties were in Ohio, so I'm not up on the laws on this stuff in Michigan, but there must be some resource that could give you the information that you need.

BTW, as bad as this is for you, consider yourself blessed. You aren't the poor baby who is going to have this lazy, lying, conniving, lowlife for a father.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:09 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,893,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
Any ideas?
Be careful what you do with their stuff, and make sure they can't haul you into small claims court at some point. We don't want them getting even more out of you and having the last laugh.
The law ain't always fair or morally infallible for sure.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:42 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,262,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Speaking as someone who owned rental property for several years, be very careful about throwing their stuff away. Even though that is what they deserve, the law always seems to be on the side of the lowlife in these situations, and I would hate to see them have an opportunity to take you to small claims court or otherwise try to get some kind of retribution, either monetarily or through you having to buy new things to replace what you threw away. It seems like it should be so cut and dried: they are ignorant and lazy and won't come get their things so you can just pitch their stuff. Still...try to find out what your options are legally so that they don't end up having the last laugh. Our properties were in Ohio, so I'm not up on the laws on this stuff in Michigan, but there must be some resource that could give you the information that you need.

BTW, as bad as this is for you, consider yourself blessed. You aren't the poor baby who is going to have this lazy, lying, conniving, lowlife for a father.

I think I would be worried if they had some kind of lease or agreement. But them knowing they left here owing me money, more than their junk is worth I don't think they would or could. This is the kind of people we are dealing with here. They sold a Yukon her mother gave her, it needed a fuel pump. The guy gave them $1300 down and was going to pay the balance when they fixed it. ( like they promised they would). They then turned around and traded it in to a junk yard for a small running car because they had no car. When they left they swore they took care of and called the guy who bought the Yukon to begin with. 3 weeks later the guys up on my doorstep asking where the truck and the people who sold it to him are? I knew they lied about it. So me being the good guy that I am gave him the mothers address, their full names and phone numbers and assured him if he needed a witness in court " I'll be more than happy to help nail this little prix"
Trust me I feel for that poor kid, I really do. But after we threw them out she told her grandmother that she never viewed any of us as family anyway, Low life pcs of dog sht.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:25 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,088,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
I would give them one more written warning...they have until this weekend to come and get their stuff or it will be thrown away. I would keep documentation, although they way you describe them...they probably wouldn't take you to court. I hate to see FAMILY take advantage of FAMILY.
So sorry you're dealing with this crap, that's awful. The poor kid.

I do agree that CYA isn't a bad idea. Perhaps send a certified/receipt requested letter telling them that unless picked up within 30 days, their belongings will be disposed of. Then do it.
At least this way YOU have attempted to do the right and responsible thing (and can prove it) and they cannot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan