Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 12:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,444 times

Advertisements

I'm leaving a long term relationship that need's to be handled with kid gloves. So I' am trying to be very quiet about what I'm doing. I' am looking for a house trailer on it's own property that is ready to move in with very little fixing. I'm looking for a nice sized yard that either has a fence or one that I can put up, ( I have dog's ). I do not want to live in a trailer park nor do I want to live in Detroit or near by. However I do not want to have to hunt & fish to fill my freezer because I' am to far away from a larger town. I grew up over on Lake Michigan & have thought about going back in that direction, yet I' am not sure of what the price of living is in the smaller town's & I do not live large. I' am not opposed to going in any other direction as long as it does not lead me back here to Detroit. I have saved some cash to work with because I don't want to have to make payments, on the other hand I'm not willing to pay big bucks for a trailer & a small piece of land. I live on a fixed income,( regardless of my surroundings I know how to make mine look beautiful with little money), so I would like to move to a small town that is not costly yet I don't want to be shot. If ANYONE has any suggestions or know's someone who may know someone else PLEASE send me information or POSITIVE feedback on how to move forward. I DO NOT WANT nor NEED anyone to send me something negative. I'm not trying to get therapy, I simply need names of town's that I could start looking into or as I said maybe someone out there has what I'm looking for or knows someone who does. Thank you for taking the time out to read & if you respond THANK YOU.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 03:55 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Are you looking for suggestions of places in Michigan to move to?

You might want to look at the thumb region. Caro, Mayville, Fostoria...the possibilities are endless. It's rural, safe, cheap and there are (last I looked) quite a few properties that might fit your bill. That probably applies to just about any rural area in Michigan, though.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:03 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,070,332 times
I'm not sure about these places as I only driven thru them but they look hick rural with the property and trailer scene.
South Lyon, Brighton, Howell.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:29 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
If you want a trailer on land you have to look beyond Livingston County. Trailers in these counties are in parks for the most part. There is modular housing out here. My wife and I have looked around this area (Brighton) and have found most places on some land will run close to $125K depending on location. There are parks and communities you can get a trailer for less than $5,000 that are in need of repair. There are some parks that will run $8,000 to $15,000 for a turn-key unit and $350-$400 month lot rent. But since you are looking for a building that is freestanding and not in a park, expect a minimum $125,000 price tag in the Brighton, Howell, and South Lyon areas. It is quite expensive to live out here in a rural area with the hicks.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:09 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
I know of a former trailer park-turned-stick-built near Jackson/Grass Lake where for ten grand or less one can get a pretty decent mobile home deal, and own the land too. Rural, but close to 96 and about 15 minutes to Jackson. OP, DM me if interested.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:02 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,941,289 times
Diamondale or Holt, just south of Lansing. Not the sticks or rural, but inexpensive, available and near amenities you would need for comfort and survival. (Grocery stores, farmer's markets, stores). Also extremely safe and friendly communities.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:27 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,493,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Are you looking for suggestions of places in Michigan to move to?

You might want to look at the thumb region. Caro, Mayville, Fostoria...the possibilities are endless. It's rural, safe, cheap and there are (last I looked) quite a few properties that might fit your bill. That probably applies to just about any rural area in Michigan, though.
I believe the Thumb has the lowest cost of living in Michigan.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:55 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakim70 View Post
I'm leaving a long term relationship that need's to be handled with kid gloves. So I' am trying to be very quiet about what I'm doing. I' am looking for a house trailer on it's own property that is ready to move in with very little fixing. I'm looking for a nice sized yard that either has a fence or one that I can put up, ( I have dog's ). I do not want to live in a trailer park nor do I want to live in Detroit or near by. However I do not want to have to hunt & fish to fill my freezer because I' am to far away from a larger town. I grew up over on Lake Michigan & have thought about going back in that direction, yet I' am not sure of what the price of living is in the smaller town's & I do not live large. I' am not opposed to going in any other direction as long as it does not lead me back here to Detroit. I have saved some cash to work with because I don't want to have to make payments, on the other hand I'm not willing to pay big bucks for a trailer & a small piece of land. I live on a fixed income,( regardless of my surroundings I know how to make mine look beautiful with little money), so I would like to move to a small town that is not costly yet I don't want to be shot. If ANYONE has any suggestions or know's someone who may know someone else PLEASE send me information or POSITIVE feedback on how to move forward. I DO NOT WANT nor NEED anyone to send me something negative. I'm not trying to get therapy, I simply need names of town's that I could start looking into or as I said maybe someone out there has what I'm looking for or knows someone who does. Thank you for taking the time out to read & if you respond THANK YOU.....
What exactly are you fleeing from? If you broke the law, please do not use this forum to facilitate a getaway. If you're in a dangerous relationship, you should probably seek out services like the YWCA or other domestic violence organizations who can protect you and provide shelter.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:14 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,076,080 times
If you are leaving a hurtful relationship, I do hope you find somewhere that works out for you.

However....I've noticed an odd trend going on here at CD (yep I'm just weird like that, lol)......brand new posters who join and the very first post they make is generally long and drawn out, and very personal...maybe it's just me. But I have to wonder, you know?

Old 03-28-2014, 02:47 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,897,469 times
Try Arkansas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan