Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 07:31 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,760,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Wrong. Opinions evolve. Now that being gay is less taboo, more people are more open about it. People that were previously opposed may no longer be once they realize they have a gay relative, neighbor, coworker, etc., that they care about.
Exactly. In addition, someone still may be opposed to it, but doesn't feel as strongly about denying rights to others they don't agree with. Opinions go from "strongly opposed" to "indifferent" to "aren't there roads that need to be fixed" and other issues of the day.

Since I believe 17 States have ruled similarly that bans on gay marriage are unconstitutional, the dominoes are falling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 08:17 PM

447 posts, read 491,460 times
50 years ago being gay or lesbian was officially considered a mental illness. People's opinion on the subject are progressing toward acceptance at the same rate of change in computer technology. The state law banning Same Sex Marriage was passed 10 years ago and in the computer world, that time frame represents generations.

In other words, a computer from 2004 - though still operable - is by most account, obsolete today. The same logic applies when taking account the general view of gay marriage by Michiganders in 2004 and believing that the majority still think the same today. In 1994 and most definitely in 1984, there would not have even been a discussion on the matter as the idea of legalization would have immediately thrown out without any debate.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:32 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,891,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I just hope that one day gay people marrying won't be news or even comment-worthy, but simply another day in the life of regular folks.

I'm all "OK whatever" about it. My father was gay and he would have been very happy to see signs of acceptance such as this; something he never saw in his life time. It makes me sad and angry that he was marginalized his whole life and never had the chance to feel accepted.
Like everybody else I have always had gays in my life - aunts, uncles, high school and miscellaneous friends.
Most seemed generally "cooler" than others, more active, open minded, educated, doing interesting things and involved. Of course they were mostly closeted, but looking back you get "aha" moments.
Gays in Detroit had businesses, and they do the same in West Michigan. My gay uncle fought in WW2 and brought a friend home. A gay high school friend was one of the few who owned a car. Gays were in the USAF when I served (though they weren't "allowed").

Old 03-26-2014, 04:41 AM

603 posts, read 872,636 times
I used to live in metro Detroit (Rochester-area) and for the most part people were conservative. I remember a lot of my neighbors supported Bush both times. That doesn't equate with people being socially-conservative, but I think there's a correlation. I only remember a couple instances where I actually interacted with gay folks. There's not a lot of them in metro Detroit.

At the time I moved, gay marriage was not such a big issue like it is today. Nowadays, the media, entertainment industry, and politicians bombard you with their pro-gay agenda so I'm sure opinions have changed somewhat.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:49 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,760,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatown1 View Post
I used to live in metro Detroit (Rochester-area) and for the most part people were conservative. I remember a lot of my neighbors supported Bush both times. That doesn't equate with people being socially-conservative, but I think there's a correlation. I only remember a couple instances where I actually interacted with gay folks. There's not a lot of them in metro Detroit.

At the time I moved, gay marriage was not such a big issue like it is today. Nowadays, the media, entertainment industry, and politicians bombard you with their pro-gay agenda so I'm sure opinions have changed somewhat.
"Pro gay agenda."

How about the $multi-billion dollar wedding industry, bombarding girls with the notion of the big expensive fancy church wedding and the $10,000 gown from the time they're 12 years old. No agenda there? Especially when half of them end in failure and the couple has $20,000 (nowadays) in credit card debt from the reception.

Yes, that heterosexual construct of weddings and marriage must be preserved at all costs. Like, who would even throw the bouquet??? Pro gay agenda be damned.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:57 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,041,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Exactly. In addition, someone still may be opposed to it, but doesn't feel as strongly about denying rights to others they don't agree with. Opinions go from "strongly opposed" to "indifferent" to "aren't there roads that need to be fixed" and other issues of the day.

Since I believe 17 States have ruled similarly that bans on gay marriage are unconstitutional, the dominoes are falling.
The gay marriage, equality issue is all hyped by religion.
The problem is that society has and is using religion to justify how others are treated.
Religion was used to justify genocide against the Native Americans and the boarding Schools. Treatment of African Americans from time eternal, almost every war that has ever happened on this planet, and even the right to health care.

I seriously believe we need to spend more time reading the Constitution and less time listening to old white men.

Once we are able to rule out religious influences, I think we all get along so much better.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:59 PM

603 posts, read 872,636 times
Quote:
"Pro gay agenda."

How about the $multi-billion dollar wedding industry, bombarding girls with the notion of the big expensive fancy church wedding and the $10,000 gown from the time they're 12 years old. No agenda there? Especially when half of them end in failure and the couple has $20,000 (nowadays) in credit card debt from the reception.

Yes, that heterosexual construct of weddings and marriage must be preserved at all costs. Like, who would even throw the bouquet??? Pro gay agenda be damned.
You sound so open-minded.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:37 AM

25 posts, read 35,256 times
Quote:
I support gay marriage because a) my wife and I have quite a few same sex couple friends who would like to get married or have their marriage from another State recognized here, b) any restriction of civil rights is dangerous to us all c) making the entire populace adhere to 3 or 4 select bible verses is a very dangerous precedent that opens the door to other religious beliefs seeping into public policy (ie legalized gender discrimination in Muslim-American communities)
I expected to read that you support it because it allows gay couples to adopt children. You forgot that one, and for many including the 6 million who marched in France, this is what makes them vote no. When agencies don't even let obese people, smokers, singles, ect.... adopt kids.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
and less time listening to old white men.
Was it necessary to put the word "white" in there? Tells a lot about who you are.

Not cool.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernwilly View Post
The state law banning Same Sex Marriage was passed 10 years ago and in the computer world, that time frame represents generations.
Actually, I think it represents bullying and bombardment. I just took a live poll online, and I was so shocked at the results I took a screen shot. 82% of the USA does not support gay marriage.....still. It seems the media wishes us to believe otherwise.

The most shocking thing about the poll, is you could float your cursor over the states to see individual %'s. Cali was against 82% (no shock there, cause they voted it down twice). The real shock? The most amount of support came from a quieter state like Arkansas or something... can't recall now. Didn't screen shot that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan