Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 03:46 PM

447 posts, read 492,825 times

Advertisements

Not that it matters, but I did not know that Kalamazoo is only behind Ann Arbor for the most same sex households in Michigan.

Kalamazoo County is No. 2 in state in percentage of same-sex households; see our database | MLive.com

The story mentions our Catholic Bishop's disapproval. I am catholic, but I do not see how this is such an a front to the sanctity of marriage when there are so many heterosexual couples that see marriage as only temporary or a trial that can easily be terminated if it is not what they thought it would be.

I am not looking so much for personal views here -for the record, I am indifferent. Instead, I am looking to get a general idea of how other communities in Michigan feel about the subject.

As Kalamazoo goes, the article shows that the area is very open to Gay Marriage and alternative life styles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 07:06 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,789,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernwilly View Post
Not that it matters, but I did not know that Kalamazoo is only behind Ann Arbor for the most same sex households in Michigan.

Kalamazoo County is No. 2 in state in percentage of same-sex households; see our database | MLive.com

The story mentions our Catholic Bishop's disapproval. I am catholic, but I do not see how this is such an a front to the sanctity of marriage when there are so many heterosexual couples that see marriage as only temporary or a trial that can easily be terminated if it is not what they thought it would be.

I am not looking so much for personal views here -for the record, I am indifferent. Instead, I am looking to get a general idea of how other communities in Michigan feel about the subject.

As Kalamazoo goes, the article shows that the area is very open to Gay Marriage and alternative life styles.
It's just a matter of time before it's legal. There are a few holdouts clinging to select bible verses and forcing their religious beliefs on others, but more and more Michiganders support gay marriage (more than 60%+ now in a recent poll). A lot changes in 10 years.

I support gay marriage because a) my wife and I have quite a few same sex couple friends who would like to get married or have their marriage from another State recognized here, b) any restriction of civil rights is dangerous to us all c) making the entire populace adhere to 3 or 4 select bible verses is a very dangerous precedent that opens the door to other religious beliefs seeping into public policy (ie legalized gender discrimination in Muslim-American communities)

Old 03-25-2014, 07:20 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,539,819 times
i posted this before but my thread was deleted

Old 03-25-2014, 07:55 AM

2,524 posts, read 3,071,394 times
*sigh*
I have often wished Grand Rapids were a real university town. We miss the mark in so many ways. A preponderance of mythology-based schools hurts us.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:57 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,789,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
i posted this before but my thread was deleted
When and where did you post this? I don't see any deleted threads on the topic.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:55 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,102,265 times
My personal view?

If you are against gay marriage, don't have one.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:25 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,904,710 times
A marriage pact is a strictly legal one, but some see it as a religious one and want to make it that way for everybody. The "ick factor" is also strong, but after centuries of a closeted class of people it's time we address the issue.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:14 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,268,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
It's just a matter of time before it's legal. There are a few holdouts clinging to select bible verses and forcing their religious beliefs on others, but more and more Michiganders support gay marriage (more than 60%+ now in a recent poll). A lot changes in 10 years.
You can't seriously compare a poll to a statewide vote participated in by millions. Do you know how many people were polled, or if their political and social views were identified before they were polled? I'm guessing not.

Polls can be, and often are, intentionally skewed to get the end result that the pollster is looking for. I doubt if the results would be much different if this issue was put to a statewide vote again. People are pretty rooted in their beliefs, regardless of which side they're on. If someone is adamantly opposed to gay marriage, they're not going to change their opinion because someone else tells them they should, and vice versa.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:21 PM

9,189 posts, read 16,565,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
People are pretty rooted in their beliefs, regardless of which side they're on. If someone is adamantly opposed to gay marriage, they're not going to change their opinion because someone else tells them they should, and vice versa.
Wrong. Opinions evolve. Now that being gay is less taboo, more people are more open about it. People that were previously opposed may no longer be once they realize they have a gay relative, neighbor, coworker, etc., that they care about.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:41 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,107,406 times
I just hope that one day gay people marrying won't be news or even comment-worthy, but simply another day in the life of regular folks.

I'm all "OK whatever" about it. My father was gay and he would have been very happy to see signs of acceptance such as this; something he never saw in his life time. It makes me sad and angry that he was marginalized his whole life and never had the chance to feel accepted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan