Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 07:34 PM

14 posts, read 43,431 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the opinion, Kapie9969 I've obviously never been there so can't say for sure but from what I've seen and read it seems pretty nice. Although my own parents think I'll get shot by a Latin King if I move there.
And thanks again for all the info DetwahDj!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 08:28 PM

790 posts, read 2,311,013 times
OP: There are still a few factories in the Muskegon area, but I don't know if they're hiring. Muskegon itself is not nearly as bad as Flint or Detroit, but it has some bad areas and a lot of older housing stock. Muskegon Heights is pretty much a ghetto. You might consider the Mona Shores school district (Norton Shores and Roosevelt Park) if you want some place that's family-friendly with affordable real estate close to the beach and good schools. I've lived in Norton Shores since 2007 and never had any problems with crime, nor do people ask me what church I go to when I meet them. I can take the city bus to downtown Muskegon, ride my bike to the beach, or drive to Grand Rapids (40 minutes to downtown GR from my house; most of Norton Shores is a bit closer to GR than that). Economically, things are picking up around here. Home prices are starting to rise, and new businesses are opening, including a couple of new brewpubs.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:43 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,893,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaduke9911 View Post
Thanks for the opinion, Kapie9969 I've obviously never been there so can't say for sure but from what I've seen and read it seems pretty nice. Although my own parents think I'll get shot by a Latin King if I move there.
And thanks again for all the info DetwahDj!
Even with the Latin Kings, the crime stats, and especially the murder rate, are not bad. Those little gangs hang around the inner working-class Latino neighborhoods.

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Michigan.html

Old 04-09-2014, 07:06 PM

14 posts, read 43,431 times
Thanks Tuebor! I've heard a lot of good things about Norton Shores, definitely an area I'm looking into
Thanks DerwahDj! I'll definitely link my parents. Really though, they're mostly just trying to find any reason to discourage me from moving so far away lol

Old 04-09-2014, 09:36 PM

325 posts, read 369,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
Hmmm...I have to say something about this one, ironlady. So far nothing I`ve witnessed here in MI (I`m originally from another state) indicates that being a Christian with a PhD makes for a kinder person! If someone is good-hearted human being who takes the "golden rule" seriously--then they will be kind. And perhaps humble as well.

Best of luck to you, OP. I hope that you will find the type of community where you find truly kind, open-minded, mature adults.
No, a Christian with a PhD doesn't necessarily mean you'll be a nice person, but it's probable, in any case.

What I really meant by that was that as academics, we or our spouses came to Holland because of the seminary and Hope College--meaning we're not from this area, so we're not all into the "if you ain't Dutch, you ain't much" phenomenon I've heard so much about.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:41 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,831,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlady View Post
No, a Christian with a PhD doesn't necessarily mean you'll be a nice person, but it's probable, in any case.

What I really meant by that was that as academics, we or our spouses came to Holland because of the seminary and Hope College--meaning we're not from this area, so we're not all into the "if you ain't Dutch, you ain't much" phenomenon I've heard so much about.
I imagine that you and your friends are very nice. It's always been my default assumption--I like people! I apologize for the unnecessary comment.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:21 AM

19 posts, read 43,336 times
NicoleKu, Where in the UP do you live? Can you recommend areas to visit and check out. I grew up in SE MI in Birmingham and left after high school and went to CO and loved the winters with the blue skies that I never saw in MI. Then ended up in CA where I am now where housing costs are over-the-top outrageously expensive!!!!! I'm driving across country at the end of June on my way to MI and will pass through CO to visit friends and family. I have rented a cottage on Duck Lake that is about 14 miles south of Traverse City. My daughter will be attending the Interlochen Art Academy for 3 weeks. So I really want to explore the UP since we never did that growing up. I think we made it as far as Indian Lake one summer when My aunt took camping. What places would you go to see in the UP? Isn't it isolating up there? I'm very curious about the UP.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:40 PM

302 posts, read 764,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeforachangefromcity View Post
NicoleKu, Where in the UP do you live? Can you recommend areas to visit and check out. I grew up in SE MI in Birmingham and left after high school and went to CO and loved the winters with the blue skies that I never saw in MI. Then ended up in CA where I am now where housing costs are over-the-top outrageously expensive!!!!! I'm driving across country at the end of June on my way to MI and will pass through CO to visit friends and family. I have rented a cottage on Duck Lake that is about 14 miles south of Traverse City. My daughter will be attending the Interlochen Art Academy for 3 weeks. So I really want to explore the UP since we never did that growing up. I think we made it as far as Indian Lake one summer when My aunt took camping. What places would you go to see in the UP? Isn't it isolating up there? I'm very curious about the UP.
Tahquamenon Falls and the Pictured Rocks are must visits, really amazing natural wonders.

Consider a visit to Sault Ste. Marie for the Soo Locks and the Valley Camp ship museum: Explore an actual Great Lakes freighter! - Sault Ste. Marie Michigan Historic Sites.
Check out this video about Sault Ste. Marie http://youtu.be/U1vEJ1K1Sds
Marquette is pretty nice. If you like animals, you might want to check out the Oswald Bear Ranch in Newberry http://www.oswaldsbearranch.com/, the DeYoung Family Zoo near Menominee DeYoung Family Zoo - Home and the Garlyn Zoo near St. Ignace GarLyn Zoo over 20 years of providing family fun in Michigan"s Upper Peninsula..

Last edited by ManoftheNorth; 04-11-2014 at 04:02 PM..

Old 04-16-2014, 07:48 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,588,246 times
Will be watching this post because I want to move to MI from PA.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:00 AM

24 posts, read 58,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeforachangefromcity View Post

Well it depends on what you want to do. ManoftheNorth covered the east side attractions pretty well. I'm from Marquette, so we traveled both side of the UP pretty equally. The west end is gorgeous as it gets more mountainous. Nothing like Colorado, but for the Midwest the hikes are pretty nice. I really like places like Lake of the Clouds and pretty much everything in the Keeweenau Penninsula. Or there's this historic village in the Garden Penninsula called Fayette that's fun if you like some mining history. There's also some ski jumping and some normal ski hills. Again, I'm sure it's nothing like CO, but it's something more than the flatland you find down south
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan