Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 08:34 PM

14 posts, read 43,415 times

Advertisements

So we're a young family currently living in Oregon. We're just tired of it here and are ready for something new, we have nothing really keeping us here. So far Michigan is high on our list (specifically Holland). We have 3 young kids. Not religious, not into social scenes (bars, clubs, etc), fairly outdoorsy, love the beach (how is the coastline there? Is it really as ocean-y as i hear?). Enjoy snow lol

Priorities are:
Excellent medical facilities
Great schools
Employment opportunities (mainly in production/mill type work)
Low crime

Muskegon seems more affordable than Holland but I wonder if it's a good family environment? Are there other parts of Michigan I should consider? I know in this economy it sounds stupid to up & move 2300 miles away on limited savings but it's not like we're leaving behind opportunity here.
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 08:52 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,041,736 times
There are production jobs in Michigan? Have you researched and verified there are jobs?
Personally, before I hauled my kids across country I would make sure I had a job when I arrived on the other side.
Do you know anything about Holland? That side of the state can be very cliquish--as in if you are not long time native with the right family name--one that starts with a "V" or "VAN-" it can be a tough road. If you do make the jump of faith, first order of business should be to find a home church.
You are aware that the cost of living there is higher than most of Michigan, since it is a major tourist destination.

Muskegon is very similar to Detroit. Best to come out and see what it really is. We LOVE it on that side, but moving there and living? I don't think even we could and we have lived in Michigan all our lives.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:07 PM

I've seen a fair amount of postings on openings in production type jobs in that area but i meant more like career wise. I see a lot "temp-to-hire" and the sort. I was hoping someone could give input on how often these companies actually hire on the temps, is there a "busy" season where these places hire but say come winter there's suddenly no work? We'll definitely be applying for jobs before moving but you never know, i'd hate to move out there for a job that's lined up to fall through and find out the hard way there's not a lot of opportunity.
The cost of living, even in Holland, seems to be much more affordable than here in Oregon.
I only know what I've been obsessively reading online, which makes the Holland area sound amazing. I figured it was time to post and get opinions though so thank you for yours

Old 03-25-2014, 10:10 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,066,213 times
How funny that you want to move to Michigan from Oregon, because my daughter and her boyfriend are moving to Oregon (he's from there) from Michigan, lol.

However.....Michigan is awesome, gorgeous, trees, water everywhere, it is a beautiful state (I'm from California, but have lived here off and on for almost 8 years.)---I'm not sure what the unemployment rate is right now, but I don't think it's great...then again, I don't think Oregon's is great either, soooo!

Since I'm older and I look back a lot at things, I would be pretty scared to up and move across the country like that with little ones....but then again, I've done things like that and who am I to talk, haha.

Are there two adults in the house, or is it just you and the kids? The reason I ask, is it might be a good idea for one of the adults to go to Holland, try to land a job, etc.- and then for the family to follow. I'm all for following a dream (within reason, and yours seems like it's within reason- if you said you wanted to trek the Himilayas in winter, well, then...that isn't within reason, lol)--

If there are two adults and it's feasible for one of you to go to Holland and try to set things up, that would be the approach I would take....if not, it might be a good idea to contact some temp agencies until you move to see if you can set something up to at least carry you through until you find a job. A good idea might be to find a well known one in your area that is nationwide, go in and interview, and maybe they can contact the one in Michigan to set something up. If it's something you really want to do, there are ways to make things possible, instead of just heading out sight unseen, you know? My daughter and her partner moved to Nevada from Utah recently, no jobs set up but they figured they would be able to find jobs easily enough (first mistake, lol)....they had a rough month, but they both have jobs- not the greatest, but..!!

Old 03-25-2014, 10:17 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,891,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaduke9911 View Post
So we're a young family currently living in Oregon. We're just tired of it here and are ready for something new, we have nothing really keeping us here. So far Michigan is high on our list (specifically Holland). We have 3 young kids. Not religious, not into social scenes (bars, clubs, etc), fairly outdoorsy, love the beach (how is the coastline there? Is it really as ocean-y as i hear?). Enjoy snow lol

Priorities are:
Great schools
Low crime

Muskegon seems more affordable than Holland but I wonder if it's a good family environment? Are there other parts of Michigan I should consider? I know in this economy it sounds stupid to up & move 2300 miles away on limited savings but it's not like we're leaving behind opportunity here.
Thanks!!
Inner city Muskegon and Muskegon Height have some typical seedy big-city problems. Jobs are largely retail and tourist.
I have plenty of suggestions for outdoorsy stuff in west MI.
Saugatuck Dunes state park. An undeveloped natural area with long beach requiring a hike.
Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

Muskegon state park coastline.

Beach at Silver Lake state park.

Ludington state park abutting the Lake Michigan rec area - miles of beach.

The crown jewel of lower Michigan is Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore extending from Crystal Lake to Leland.

Climbing Sleeping Bear Dunes, MI - YouTube

The Sleeping Bear Dunes, Michigan; America's most beautiful place by Double-Barrelled Travel - YouTube

Hang Gliding at Sleeping Bear Dunes - YouTube

Lots of you tubes on this. There are plenty more beaches and parks along Lake Michigan. You should take a drive up the coastline sometime, but allow a few days to explore.
You will get snow here.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 03-25-2014 at 10:26 PM..

Old 03-25-2014, 10:18 PM

Haha, that is funny! I wish them luck here! Oregon is great but I guess it's just not what I'm looking for. There are 2 of us and that is a great idea! Thank you so much for your positive and encouraging response

Old 03-25-2014, 10:20 PM

Thanks DetwahDJ! I'll definitely check out the videos! And thanks for the info on Muskegon

Old 03-25-2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Haha, that is funny! I wish them luck here! Oregon is great but I guess it's just not what I'm looking for. There are 2 of us and that is a great idea! Thank you so much for your positive and encouraging response
You're welcome! I'm a huge proponent of Michigan, I absolutely fell in love with the state the first time I laid eyes on it- I was born and lived in California my entire life, and never thought I would find anywhere else that I would feel like it was "home"....but Michigan is definitely it! I've lived downstate, northern MI, and we now live in the U.P.- and I love this state from one end to the other, there's just something about it!

From what you said in your original post, I think you'll love it here, and I hope you guys are able to pull it all together and make it happen!

Old 03-25-2014, 11:07 PM

Oh, and yes....the big lakes really do look like the ocean. I was shocked the first time I noticed that, lol.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:32 PM

360 posts, read 808,289 times
Quote:

Priorities are:
Great schools
Low crime

Thanks!!
I live roughly 2.5-3 hours away from the west coast of Michigan but me and the SO often drive up there to vacation or even for day trips. While it's a beautiful region, it has very few jobs as it primarily acts as a vacation spot for people living in Chicago and in Grand Rapids,MI. There is a new and large facility on the highway between Grand Rapids and Ludington (t's about 90 miles from the coast near Muskegon) but I'm not certain what they manufacture there.

The only serious manufacturing near the west coast of Michigan is probably going to be located in Grand Rapids (about 25-30 miles east of Muskegon), Kalamazoo (about 60-65 miles south) or in South Bend, Indiana/Dowagiac,MI (roughly 2 hours south) unless you are going to work in Chicago (3 hours away).

Some free advice: If you can afford to do so, travel to the area and scout it out for a week. You'll be able to see for yourself what's available and whether or not it is an area which you'd like to relocate your family to. Buy a few newspapers and check the local unemployment offices to see what they have for work.

I love Michigan myself and I would like to live there. However, there's very little work (especially semi-skilled or unskilled positions) and things have been that way for several decades now. Unfortunately, unless you have an in-demand skill (such as plumbing,machining or welding) you may find that moving there probably wouldn't be a good idea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan