Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2007, 10:02 AM

19 posts, read 87,740 times

Advertisements

Another part of why michigan sucks is again the weather and schools the kids cant enjoy their youth being in the house because outside its cold.Take my cousins for example(one is 7,the oldest is 9)both LOVE running around(typical kids)but since its cold outside they really cant go outside and im like dang they should be outside in the park running around now they are in the house playing video games,what kinda life is that?They should be in a park,or swimming,or riding a bike(but with snow)they cant ride a bike seriously my 9 year old loves his bike but with the weather he cant do that but if he was in texas or another warm state he can ride his bike,and the schools in michigan are TERRIBLE!Please dont send your kid to any public school in michigan,the schools are terrible and worthless.

That is just another reason why I suggest michigan sucks and people need to move I mean if any of you have kids would you want your kid to be in the house all day?or want him outside in the park playing tag and running around enjoying their youth?

And look at michigan's capitol city,what kinda capitol city is lansing?Lets face its a small city where nobody wants to visit how much say lets visit michigan?lol the nightlife in this state suck(MSU and detroit are ok)but really this is why michigan has a low tourist population,michigan has nothing to offer other states have alot to offer,nevada has las vegas(love that city and I visit it every summer),california has los angeles,etc texas has houston,michigan has what?detroit?Detroit really doesnt have much stuff to offer for anyone to visit or be interested in even thinking about moving here.

Also its VERY VERY hard to sale a house/home in michigan my friend has been trying to sale his home for quite sometime but no luck because nobody is really trying to move to michigan or live in michigan(who can blame them).

Old 12-24-2007, 10:12 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,875 times
Have you ever thought about being proactive with winter? Ice Skating, sledding and snowball fights are lots of fun. In the south you have to stay inside because it's too dangerously hot.

By the way, I'm don't have a great paying job, and I couldn't find a job relevant to my degree, but I love Michigan--all four seasons. I've lived here since I was five and went to excellent public schools. I plan on leaving next year to find a good job, but I'm not happy about it, and as soon as I can, I'm moving back here.

So please stop wasting yours and our time. Your negativity isn't helping anyone. But good luck in Atlanta, and have fun with the worst commutes in the country.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:14 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times
Kids inside playing video games instead of outside in the fresh air... sounds like parenting problems not problems with a particular State. Yes I do know what I am talking about, I have 4 boys, and they also have all the video games, DVD players, all that stuff. The difference is that there are time limits and rules associated with them. The video games are not on during the day, only after dark. Unless it is a raging blizzard outside they prefer being outside any day of the week. Dress them warm, just like our parents did us and send the rascals outside to play.

Atlanta? Good luck! Seriously, if you hate the State so much, you really do need to get out someplace else. A change of scenery Just may be the ticket to a better attitude. Just remember; wherever you go, there you are. That means it took me a couple of States, several jobs, and a lot of grief before I realized the problems with all those places were probably personal, and not related to an area. What do you know, that was the right answer. I changed my outlook and everyplace I have been sense has been a pleasant experience.

Your views of all the Michigan public schools are in for a rude awakening when you go someplace else. I had to make a temporary move to Maine a couple of years ago (No,not job related) and although the schools were ranked about the same as the area in Michigan we were leaving, the reality was vastly different. The schools here are WAY behind the schools in Michigan. Be prepared for a very different school, and not in the good way. I have been all over the country, I have checked schools all over for the past 2 years to decide where we are going to bring our kids back to. We are coming back to Michigan. Best all around schools I have seen yet.

As for other States having more, not in my travels (46 States and several Canadian provinces). Whoever put Detroit up as a tourist destination? What about the rest of the great State of Michigan, The entire West side, The Soo, all the lakes and rivers, trophy fishing, excellent hunting, there is a bit of everything. From urban centers to wilderness, a bit for everybodys taste.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:44 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,423,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespeterson View Post
Another part of why michigan sucks is again the weather and schools the kids cant enjoy their youth being in the house because outside its cold.Take my cousins for example(one is 7,the oldest is 9)both LOVE running around(typical kids)but since its cold outside they really cant go outside and im like dang they should be outside in the park running around now they are in the house playing video games,what kinda life is that?They should be in a park,or swimming,or riding a bike(but with snow)they cant ride a bike seriously my 9 year old loves his bike but with the weather he cant do that but if he was in texas or another warm state he can ride his bike,and the schools in michigan are TERRIBLE!Please dont send your kid to any public school in michigan,the schools are terrible and worthless.

That is just another reason why I suggest michigan sucks and people need to move I mean if any of you have kids would you want your kid to be in the house all day?or want him outside in the park playing tag and running around enjoying their youth?

And look at michigan's capitol city,what kinda capitol city is lansing?Lets face its a small city where nobody wants to visit how much say lets visit michigan?lol the nightlife in this state suck(MSU and detroit are ok)but really this is why michigan has a low tourist population,michigan has nothing to offer other states have alot to offer,nevada has las vegas(love that city and I visit it every summer),
Quote:
california has los angeles,etc texas has houston,michigan has what?detroit?
Detroit really doesnt have much stuff to offer for anyone to visit or be interested in even thinking about moving here.

Also its VERY VERY hard to sale a house/home in michigan my friend has been trying to sale his home for quite sometime but no luck because nobody is really trying to move to michigan or live in michigan(who can blame them).
I can tell that your a City Slicker.

I can only assume that you've never been to LA. LA's the most Trash infested, Slum City of the country. 85% are Illegals. The Mayor of LA, Antonio Villiragosa is Pro- Illegal and against his own people and is not afraid to show it in front of a crowd or on TV.
In Houston, in the summers it's hard to breath because of the High Humidity.

You can't Judge a place unless you've been then there and have experiened it.
The old Saying: "You Can't Judge a Book By it' Cover" or "Pictures are Worth a Thousand Words". These sayings couldn't be anymore True than what they are.
Myself, I've been to and lived near every place you mentioned.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:53 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
I live where the weather is nearly perfect. Never too hot, never too cold and you still see kids around here sitting inside all day playing video games and watching television.

I don't actually know why that is -- I think it's something besides winter. Kids used to enjoy playing in the snow, sledding, building snow forts, igloos and so on. In fact I think it's best in Michigan if you're a kid -- the snow is just fun then. It's when you have to shovel it out just to get to work and spend your extra in heating bills that it's hard.

Schools are bad all over -- it's the whole way public schools are going.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:55 AM

124 posts, read 476,862 times
Quote:
Another part of why michigan sucks is again the weather and schools the kids cant enjoy their youth being in the house because outside its cold.Take my cousins for example(one is 7,the oldest is 9)both LOVE running around(typical kids)but since its cold outside they really cant go outside and im like dang they should be outside in the park running around now they are in the house playing video games,what kinda life is that?They should be in a park,or swimming,or riding a bike(but with snow)they cant ride a bike seriously my 9 year old loves his bike but with the weather he cant do that but if he was in texas or another warm state he can ride his bike
Seriously?!?!?! Hello! When I was a kid growing up in icy cold Michigan we were outside all the time, coming in only when we were called or when our snow suits were so wet we could hardly feel our legs anymore...no wonder kids are fat now-a-days. We were always building snow forts, and snow men and sledding all day long. What a lame excuse for not going outside to play! Do you also think that kids in Arizona can't go outside to play because it's too hot during the summer? Video games just make it easier for kids AND their parents to be lazy!

Michigan may have more than it's fair share of problems right now but winter certainly is not one of them...talk about not being able to think outside of the box...can't play outside because it's cold...boooo hooooo!

Old 12-24-2007, 11:56 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Michigan has a lot -- I go there every summer. It's got tons of things to do as far as tourism. The festivals, the beaches, camp grounds, forests.

I think really though -- peoples' main beef is the economy. If the economy were good then people would just quietly leave if they prefer the weather or something elsewhere. It's the anger of a heading down economy.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:59 AM

124 posts, read 476,862 times
Ok, one more thing. Michigan is absolutely beautiful and to say that Vegas is better???? are you insane? Vegas is the biggest eye sore I've ever seen! There is a heck of a lot more to Michigan than Detroit (THANK GOODNESS!) When I was a kid almost all of our family vacations were to someplace in Michigan...although since you don't like being outside I guess that scratches a lot of places off your list. You obviously know nothing about Michigan. Why not go stick your head back in the sand where you obviously feel comfortable!

Old 12-24-2007, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 15,159 times
people would not be so upset at others who talk against MI if it were not true. I have found in my life that people get the madest when the truth is spoken.
I guess that the power out to over a hunderd thousand people and cold as$ weather is a good thing. People leaving like the warm weather in MI in sept.
Jobs flooding out or just vanishing from the vine in MI is a good thing.
Keep attacking those who tell it like it is. You can not stop Mi's slide into the toilet, just flush it is the new motto I hear.
Just say flush michigan.
Maybe you can put some of that snow up your sundont shine nono place. LOL

Old 12-24-2007, 12:55 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Our kids grew up in California. We moved to Michigan two years ago. One of the first things that we noticed is that our kids play outside here far more often than they did in California. We have several possible reasons for this.

It may be just "ho hum another 77 degree day." so they stay in and play computers. In Michigan the weather is always exciting. On the rare perfect days, they run outside to enjoy the perfect weather, if it rains, they run out to play in the rain, if it snows they run out to play in the snow - same for windy, sunny, super cold, etc. Everything is fascinating.

It could be that the heat keeps them inside more in CA. Heat makes you tired, cold does not. Cold does not seem to bother our kids at all.

Part of the reason is more space and safety. Here we can just shoo the kids outside and forget about them. They have lots of room to play without getting into streets, or other risky places. There not so much. We had to take them to a park or a parking lot and watch them.

Capital Cities? Ever been to Sacramento? Some nice history there, but it is not much more exciting than Lansing and far more dangerous.

Los Angeles is not a very nice city either. In parts it is as bad as Detroit's parts. It has exciting parts as does Detroit. The downtowns are similar except for the difference in size. The biggest difference is that LA has some really super nice areas inside the City and Detroit's super nice areas are out in the suburbs. Detroit is considerably more "tired" (i.e. run down), but I would not say that LA is nicer, just newer. San Francisco is a different story altogether. A lovely City, so is San Diego, but then Michigan has Ann Arbor and that is hard to beat.

It is not better here in every way, but it is definitely better here for the kids, especially the younger ones.

Michigan actually has a lot to offer. We posted a long long list somewhere in these boards. It is not better than California, it is just different. Some things are much much better, some things are far worse. It is a push, we have no regrets about moving here.

You can sell your house, you just have to lower your price a lot. In California's Inland Empire once the fastest growing place, I am told that housing prices have dropped as much as 30% this year. Michigan is not worse than that, we are just ahead of the rest of the country. Perhaps that means that we will recover sooner, but I doubt it. Housing is trashed everywhere, the bubble has burst.

If you hate it so much - move. However I am afraid that you will find that the grass elsewhere is not as green as you think. In many places you will find that it is plastic.

However I will say that Franklin Tennessee sounds pretty awesome. Still since we have family here, we are very happy to be here.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 12-24-2007 at 01:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan