Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 02:33 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,847,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Why are you surprised? Just wondering. Nevada gets the same rap as MI in such that most people think Las Vegas is Nevada.
No real reason really. Just when I think of Nevada I always assumed it had decent schools, can't put a real reason on that thought. I have visited the state all over the place, and everybody I had any interaction with seemed well educated and well spoken (not that, that means anything really).

Old 12-09-2008, 11:56 AM

10 posts, read 39,731 times
Default can't believe i am reading this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was in the military and lived all over the world. This includes El Paso Texas! I can very confidently say that Michigan is the worst, most pitiful state that I have ever lived in or visited out of over 23 countries, 43 states, and uncounted cities.

The financial affairs of Michigan have been mishandled for so long that the last time I was there, the government had to be shut down for a period so monies could be caught up and the state would not go bankrupt. The people, as a majority, are uneducated because of the industrialization. I say this because of FACT and not opinion. After living in Michigan for 7 years and being an engineer for Kelloggs and Honda, I can safely say this........ Michiganders have been so incredibly spoiled by being able to not have an education and make 23 dollars an hour in a manufacturing environment!

The state had one of the worst unemployment and suicide rates of any in the union....... and that was before the financial crisis. It is one of the most unfriendly states i have ever been to. Anyone who says that the people in Michigan are friendly, need to have their heads surgically removed from the most inner regions of their bowels. . Your local governments have run you into the ground and you continue to re-elect them!!! WTF?

Something has to be in the water there!!

I don't even know what to say!!

I now live in Virginia Beach VA. This area has the third BEST rate for employment in the US. I was unemployed in Michigan for 3 years with a masters in mechanical engineering. I moved here and I have people begging me to come work for them. Also, there are more millionaires in this zip code than there are on the entire eastern seaboard. wow what a difference.

There is a lesson to be learned here......... My fiancee and I once thought we would never escape the death grip of the grim reaper other wise known as Michigan. One day we just sold everything we had and moved. Literally. Just sold everything and moved to Virginia Beach. We actually lived in a tent for three months untill we found a place and got the hell out of Michigan.

My life has never been better!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-09-2008, 12:19 PM

One more thing...........

All these people are saying that they wish Detroit wasn't giving the rest of Michigan such a bad name. Well folks, it makes no difference where your state as a whole places in the area of education or SAT scores if your children can't find a job. I do admit that suburban areas have good education systems. My kids are still in Michigan for goodness sake. But I do want my kids to get out of Michigan. For their own good.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:11 PM

939 posts, read 2,680,887 times
Interesting comments. We've lived in the Traverse City area for 4 years after having moved here from Long Island. The state government does seem to be inept and way behind the times. Smoking is still allowed in all bars and restaurants owned by folks who were born and raised here. Places owned by people who grew up elsewhere are mostly non-smoking. People in general are not that friendly I have found. They will be cordial but will not go out of their way to be friendly. They definitely do not wear their hearts on their sleeves, so to speak. But we like living up here and plan to stay. When we visit back east, it feels like going 20 years into the future. It's beautiful up here, water everywhere, perfect summers and great winters. Hopefully the state gets it's shiiite together, help small business owners, and gets with the times. Hopefully it doesn't take too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift299 View Post
I was in the military and lived all over the world. This includes El Paso Texas! I can very confidently say that Michigan is the worst, most pitiful state that I have ever lived in or visited out of over 23 countries, 43 states, and uncounted cities.

The financial affairs of Michigan have been mishandled for so long that the last time I was there, the government had to be shut down for a period so monies could be caught up and the state would not go bankrupt. The people, as a majority, are uneducated because of the industrialization. I say this because of FACT and not opinion. After living in Michigan for 7 years and being an engineer for Kelloggs and Honda, I can safely say this........ Michiganders have been so incredibly spoiled by being able to not have an education and make 23 dollars an hour in a manufacturing environment!

The state had one of the worst unemployment and suicide rates of any in the union....... and that was before the financial crisis. It is one of the most unfriendly states i have ever been to. Anyone who says that the people in Michigan are friendly, need to have their heads surgically removed from the most inner regions of their bowels. . Your local governments have run you into the ground and you continue to re-elect them!!! WTF?

Something has to be in the water there!!

I don't even know what to say!!

I now live in Virginia Beach VA. This area has the third BEST rate for employment in the US. I was unemployed in Michigan for 3 years with a masters in mechanical engineering. I moved here and I have people begging me to come work for them. Also, there are more millionaires in this zip code than there are on the entire eastern seaboard. wow what a difference.

There is a lesson to be learned here......... My fiancee and I once thought we would never escape the death grip of the grim reaper other wise known as Michigan. One day we just sold everything we had and moved. Literally. Just sold everything and moved to Virginia Beach. We actually lived in a tent for three months untill we found a place and got the hell out of Michigan.

My life has never been better!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-09-2008, 02:27 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,444,722 times
Well, redshift, I'm sure glad you got out. I'm even happier knowing you'll never be back. Although some of your comments in correlation with the government may have been accurate, the assumptions about the good people of this state demonstrate a hostility that has apparently been brewing in you for some time. I've also lived all over the U.S. and have never encountered friendlier, more family oriented and magnanomous people than I have here in Michigan, which is one of the many reasons I returned.

By the way, I've also never encountered more intelligent and educated people either, and I live in the supposed "boondocks" up here in the northern part of the state.

So thanks for painting all of us with your incredibly bristly brush, but your opinion, while certainly welcome in a public forum, is nonetheless a candidate for dismissal in this members eyes due to its provacative and presumptive nature.

We have problems in Michigan, but those of us that love this place press on, despite the detractors such as you, redshift, that are so very determined to bury us for good.

Last edited by Tyryztoll; 12-09-2008 at 03:13 PM..

Old 12-09-2008, 02:46 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,847,360 times
I also have been all over the US and lived from North to south, east to west. Spent time in all but 4 states as well. Just spent almost 20 years in the Northeast and can say beyond a shadow of a doubt I personally am very happy to be back in Michigan and raising my kids here. Yes the government at the state level leaves a lot to be desired, but it isn't the worst there is out there right now. Not very good, but believe me it could be worse, much worse. The people here may not be "oh happy, happy; joy, joy" all the time, but they are real, and they don't put on a false face to somebody. They may not be dancing in the streets all the time, but they will be there when a need arises and their neighbors and friends need a hand.

Anybody that joins a forum just to ***** and moan about a place they lived years ago makes you wonder how bitter and cold their life is in general.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:14 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,425,495 times
I was born and raised in Michigan,(Cadillac) At a young age our Mother died, so we had to leave the state. I have several Sisters that live in the SE part of Mich, and many friend that live further up as far as Cadillac, Traverse City and Cheboygan. I lived in So, Calif, most of my life, I never moved back to Mi. (for no negative reason.)
But I have kept track on my home state and how politics was treating some areas. I have also visited afew times. Michigan is just as beautiful as it was when I lived there. In the southern part I noticed some people are up tight and sensative, but from what's happening, most is understantable. But further up north people were very nice and helpful, even before they knew I was from Mi.
Now here's what I'm against......Michigan state "Governor Granholm"....She should be pulled out of office for treason.
The unemployment rate is high, yet she sends out work invitations to illegal immigrant and then insults the working class.
I've written to her afew times with my 2 cents, and told her she was an insult to the good people of Michigan in which she's being paid to represent.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:26 PM

apologies............ i am man enough to say this:

i have never lived in the northern part of the state. i should not have grouped the entire state in that nasty lump. but here is what you can do........... take a line about 50 miles north of grand rapids and draw it straight across the state, then throw everything south of that line in a dumpster. i lived in benton harbor, grand rapids, battle creek/kalamazoo, and detroit. the people ARE uneducated as a whole. FACT!

i have spoken with many people across the US as a result of my job, and the VAST majority, while not hateful, are exceedingly glad they are NOT in Michigan. FACT

If you like Michigan, stay there. Someone has to occupy the state............

Apologies

Old 12-09-2008, 03:45 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,425,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift299 View Post
apologies............ i am man enough to say this:

i have never lived in the northern part of the state. i should not have grouped the entire state in that nasty lump. but here is what you can do........... take a line about 50 miles north of grand rapids and draw it straight across the state, then throw everything south of that line in a dumpster. i lived in benton harbor, grand rapids, battle creek/kalamazoo, and detroit. the people ARE uneducated as a whole. FACT!

i have spoken with many people across the US as a result of my job, and the VAST majority, while not hateful, are exceedingly glad they are NOT in Michigan. FACT
If you like Michigan, stay there. Someone has to occupy the state............
Apologies

I lived in Benton Harbor/St Joseph(Sodus) and didn't like it. But this was in "69" where my Mother died. I don't even know why I didn't like it. I think It was because I was raised on a Dairy Farm and didn't like the city.
I still don't like big cities. I couldn't stand LA. I live in Oklahoma now and have no desire to visit Tulsa or Oklahoma City unless it's necessary.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:45 PM

156 posts, read 350,930 times
I moved south after moving back from the south in the early 90s. I came back for family, but now they all live in the south. I got a call from my cousin today. He said that it was snow and cold, and he wanted to crawl back into bed. I said where I am at was about 55 clear and nice. I washed my car in a sweat ****. You can keep your crap winters.LOL For those who like it more power to you. I have always had my doubts to if it is true when people who live there really like it as much as they try to tell us they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan