Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 12:24 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times

Advertisements

It took me about 10 to 15 years in California to start missing the snow and more critically, the change of seasons. My wife on the other hand aways hated the perfect weather every day. She found it boring. We both missed real thunderstorms a great deal.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:29 PM

392 posts, read 1,858,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princessemichigan View Post
To each it's own! I'm surprised some people responded so imature to this thread. I think they could use more warm weather and sunshine too, Obviously someone is depressed, lol! Oh and Mi was just voted one of the most DEPRESSING STATES!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by princessemichigan View Post
I saw this about 3 days ago on WDIV Channel 4 News or The Today Show, can't remember, I think Channel 4 News, so look on there website or just do a key work search on the net. These rankings were just released. I know West Virginia, Utah, and South Dakota made the list too.

Here is the link-Click all States Rating to view the list.

Which State Is Most Depressed? - Health News Story - WDIV Detroit (http://www.clickondetroit.com/health/14727062/detail.html - broken link)

Hello? Where is Michigan?? It isn't even on the list!

Old 12-07-2007, 02:04 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,844 times
I too am sick of all the negativity on the Michigan forum (shoot...that sounds negative too, ha ha ha)

I too, no longer live in Michigan, but it was by choice. I left my job and family to move out to CO with my S.O. to be by his family and have a new adventure. I think everyone should experience living somewhere else.

I love it out here, but I also loved Michigan, especially the summers on Lake Michigan. I know that some day when I get married and have children that I will move back to MI or New York (where my S.O. is from) to be close to family and memories and tradition.

And seriously....if you look at the other states' forums, there is not this negativity. I just don't get what is up with some of the posters in the Michigan forum because everyone I know loves it there and would never leave, no matter how tough things got.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:31 PM

864 posts, read 1,720,839 times
Well, the number of negative posts usually reflects the negativity toward the state of the population as a whole. It's always easier to complain so it's not unusual to see more negative than positive but if you're seeing a lot more negative in this forum than in other forums -- it's probably because there's something to it.

The weather here in MI sucks now (unless you like cold and gloom) so there's a reason to see more negativity than during the summer months. The economy in MI sucks right now. The price of gas here in MI is one of the highest in the country. The number of foreclosures in MI is one of the highest in the country. We just had both a state income tax and sales tax increase. We have negative population growth because people are moving elsewhere. Property values are plummeting. People that might want to move can't because they can't sell their home. There are some legitimate reasons behind the negative posts...

Old 12-07-2007, 05:03 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
Well, the number of negative posts usually reflects the negativity toward the state of the population as a whole. It's always easier to complain so it's not unusual to see more negative than positive but if you're seeing a lot more negative in this forum than in other forums -- it's probably because there's something to it.

The weather here in MI sucks now (unless you like cold and gloom) so there's a reason to see more negativity than during the summer months. The economy in MI sucks right now. The price of gas here in MI is one of the highest in the country. The number of foreclosures in MI is one of the highest in the country. We just had both a state income tax and sales tax increase. We have negative population growth because people are moving elsewhere. Property values are plummeting. People that might want to move can't because they can't sell their home. There are some legitimate reasons behind the negative posts...
No disrespect Sparrow Temp, but you have a large collection of soundbites there from the media that aren't necessarily relegated to Michigan alone.

) State income and sales tax increase? No, not true. The sales tax is still 6%. The service tax that was implemented has been repealed and replaced with a graduated increase to the MBT.
) Foreclosures in Michigan? Yes, we are one of the top 10. We are also one of the top 10 in population, so of course we should be in the top 10 for foreclosures. Michigan is somewhere near #6 or #7. The top states are ones that most people would consider desirable: Colorado, Nevada, California, Florida, and Georgia. It's just another headline used to sell Free Press papers.
) Price of gas higher here than in other states? By pennies/gallon. So what?
) Property values are "plummetting"? Try 50% property value plummets in parts of Florida and California. We aren't even anywhere near that. If you have specific stats of widespread plummetting home values somewhere in Michigan, please share.
) Negative because winter is here? You apparently have not been around C-D for very long. The negative topics pop up every week, summer, spring, winter, fall.
) Cold and gloom? Why do some people assume that everyone else likes hot and constantly sunny weather? Have you ever heard of Carcinoma, one of the biggest cancer killers in this country? How about nice stinky sweaty armpits 5 months out of the year ? Sounds good eh? Some of us are comfortable enough in our own skin that changes in weather patterns doesn't make us suicidal. Start walking or jogging for heaven's sake. For a country that's people spend 99.5% of the time indoors, there sure do seem to be a lot of people who obsess about the weather, even to the point of making major life decisions (relocation) based on weather. The funniest thing I see is when in Florida, is the number of people with HEAVILY tinted windows on their cars. Ummm, I thought you live in Florida because of the sun lol.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:08 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
I too am sick of all the negativity on the Michigan forum (shoot...that sounds negative too, ha ha ha)

Negativity though is to be expected. I think for people with higher incomes who aren't in danger of being laid off and the retired people and those people getting welfare, food stamps, and checks from the government, it's different than it is for those who depend on finding a job and working for a living but can't find one. You can start to feel desperate.

I don't live in Michigan but I know the pros-and-cons. Someone who just cannot find a job is obviously going to be negative than someone who has a great one and even has a winter vacation to Florida planned.

Since the whole forum is generally about helping people considering relocation -- I would think it's best if they hear the best and the worst -- because who knows where they might fit in. Honesty is the best policy -- those who think it's heaven on earth should say it is -- and those who see the bleak side -- maybe because of the position they're in should say what they think. The reader can decide better that way.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:11 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
No disrespect Sparrow Temp, but you have a large collection of soundbites there from the media that aren't necessarily relegated to Michigan alone.

) State income and sales tax increase? No, not true. The sales tax is still 6%. The service tax that was implemented has been repealed and replaced with a graduated increase to the MBT.
) Foreclosures in Michigan? Yes, we are one of the top 10. We are also one of the top 10 in population, so of course we should be in the top 10 for foreclosures. Michigan is somewhere near #6 or #7. The top states are ones that most people would consider desirable: Colorado, Nevada, California, Florida, and Georgia. It's just another headline used to sell Free Press papers.
) Price of gas higher here than in other states? By pennies/gallon. So what?
) Property values are "plummetting"? Try 50% property value plummets in parts of Florida and California. We aren't even anywhere near that. If you have specific stats of widespread plummetting home values somewhere in Michigan, please share.
) Negative because winter is here? You apparently have not been around C-D for very long. The negative topics pop up every week, summer, spring, winter, fall.
) Cold and gloom? Why do some people assume that everyone else likes hot and constantly sunny weather? Have you ever heard of Carcinoma, one of the biggest cancer killers in this country? How about nice stinky sweaty armpits 5 months out of the year ? Sounds good eh? Some of us are comfortable enough in our own skin that changes in weather patterns doesn't make us suicidal. Start walking or jogging for heaven's sake. For a country that's people spend 99.5% of the time indoors, there sure do seem to be a lot of people who obsess about the weather.
Well said. Winters in Michigan are nothing like they were when I was a little girl in the 80s. Getting outside is refreshing if you dress appropriately and helps with the winter blahs. Plenty of other places around the U.S. are just as cold and snowy......

Have any of these complainers lived anywhere else? I live in Denver now and appreciate the low cost of living in Michigan in terms of housing, groceries, registering your car, etc. Yes things are tough, but they are tough one way or another everywhere!! Our house is still for sale in GR, but we are renting it out to make due and still keeping it on the market.

I am so sick of these whiners. Leave then. If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way, excuses and all.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:13 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
I was born in the winter in Michigan. I enjoyed the wintertime. Raised on a dairy farm and cutting trees for the Forestry on weekends, I was use to the outdoor life. At the age of 15 a death in the family caused me to leave Michigan and first move to Texas. Hating the humitiy in Tx, at the age of 16 I moved to California (hopped a freight train, talking about adventureous.)
Living in Ca. where the winters were at the lowest,and not that often, in the 40's, but it mostly stayed at a temp, were if you watered your lawn it would stay green. But I was in the Mojave Desert so it did get cold at night.
(I'm coming to my point)
After over 35 years out there, every year the living expenses kept climbing to where, even though it's a beautiful state, the enjoyment was just gone. And anyone with common sense could tell that it wasn't just a way of life, some how you could tell that the Government was behind it, trying to push people out.
(back on the topic)
I moved to OK. this year and I think that I can understand why some people want to move out of Michigan.
Although the winters aren't near as bad in OK. as they are in Mi., moving from Ca. to OK. they are to me. This is my first time as an adult living in this kind of weather. I realize now many things that I didn't living in Mi. as a kid. The expenses, preparations, weatherizing. You practically have to remodel everything just for one season. And if you don't, the heating bill could put a person in the poor house.
In other words,
A person can enjoy the wintertime if they're prepared for it.
Or if someones not brought up in it, it would be hard to handle.

This picture was taken in front of my place in So. Calif. in 1987.

Last edited by mkfarnam; 12-07-2007 at 05:40 PM..

Old 12-07-2007, 06:43 PM

392 posts, read 1,858,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
Highest gas prices?!?! Were averaging $3.27 a gallon in California. I see Detroit is averaging $2.90 a gallon. I'm sure we would be happy to take some of the expensive fuel off your hands.
As Magellan said we all don't think constant sun is a so wonderful. I was never a fan of it and after several years of constant Cali sun I have developed an allergy to it and really have to limit my exposure.
I can't wait to get back to Michigan!

Old 12-07-2007, 07:05 PM

2 posts, read 9,223 times
I just called home and was told every one has the flu going around, and it is bitter cold. LOL, Keep those shoves handy and several cord of wood by the fire place you will need it.
MI is going to be wet,cold and over all crappy for the next 4 to 5 months. and yes I have seen as many aprils suck as I have seen good maybe more.
I will not miss the salt build up on my car carpet, the wet sleet sticking to my feet getting my tile nasty, the muck in the drive way in the springs, the brown dead mat of grass for a lawn in may, the salt eating away at my cement walkway, putting on layers upon layers of clothes, the high heat bills and the list goes on and on. The days are longer compared to up there.
Enjoy the sleading boys, I will enjoy going out in my boat and fishing in january. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan