Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 10:28 AM

19 posts, read 48,058 times

Advertisements

For anyone coming back to this post, heres an UPDATE:

We moved to Grand Blanc, so I'm just about 10 miles or less from Flint, my Mom lives right by campus and it takes me about 20 minutes or less to get to her house. My kids are at Grand Blanc schools and we are in a great neighborhood off Baldwin and Saginaw. I love it here! It was worth living a bit outside of Flint to have the great school district. Grand Blanc is a very family friendly neighborhood. We live in a fairly mixed subdivision. I faired my first Winter here too, lol! This California girl is VERY happy in Michigan! Of course I miss the sun and warmth every day, but the quality of life here is really great. I have 4 small kids, so being able to do things with them in an area that isn't jam packed with people is so nice. Theres no traffic. We joined the Genesys Athletic Club and thats an amazing place with baby sitting every other Saturday night! I've never been on so many dates with my husband! I can't say enough great things about this area. I could understand once kids get to high school age theres not much to do for them. I think that may change over the years, but I do think the 18-30 year old age range thats single and looking for things to do would be bored here. But Ann Arbor is a 40 minute drive. So is Troy. We like going to both of those areas when we feel a little "Stuck" and are searching for some more places to eat or shop. But overall, the move was great and we are very happy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 11:13 AM

1 posts, read 685 times
Kelsey, so glad you posted and update, and so glad you are happy in Grand Blanc. My Daughter and Son-in-Law live in Grand Blanc Township off Hill Rd, and my Grandson goes to the GB West Middle school. They have been very happy with the school and the activities it offers. We have lived the past 30 years in Mundy Township, a small little community around the Hill and Linden Rd area. We love the area, we are close to the Miller/Linden Rd Flint Township business corridor and the Meijer grocery store on Hill Rd. The only complaint I would have of this area would be the Swartz Creek Schools, which my children attended in the 1990s. The schools have not had a millage increase in many years and in my opinion the schools have deteriorated.

I personally love the different seasons of Michigan and would never live anywhere else. There are so many things to do, so many lakes and summer activities. In the fall and winter it is just beautiful, we love to hike and snowmobile.

I think the Flint area began to go downhill when General Motors started closing so many factories. At one time GM employed most of the people of Genesee County, and it thrived for many many years. As the factories closed and unemployment rose, people started moving out of the Flint area and crime started to rise. That being said, the water crisis in Flint did not help the situation. However, Flint Township and all of the surrounding areas get their water from the Detroit line and were not involved in crisis.

As others have said there are many really nice neighborhoods and subdivisions in this area and lots to do within a hours drive in any direction, so I hope others will start returning to Michigan it is a wonderful place to live and raise a family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan