Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 12:08 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,883,465 times

Advertisements

I agree with Retroit, I used to make $8 an hour off of holding signs for 6-8 hours a day, and that was only on weekends. The Westnadge exit always has homeless people there holding up signs. But it's really not that far of a walk from Portage to downtown Kalamazoo (2 hours MAX) where the Gospel Mission is where they could get much more help. And if I remember correctly, every single bus (including the Westnadge bus) goes to the transportation center right across the street from it. As far as your safety goes I think their pretty harmless, keep your doors locked and be ready to hit the gas and you will be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 12:27 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,931,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuebor View Post
I think the fact that they're doing it in a group is suspicious. I agree with those who suggest giving to local aid organizations instead. There are several; here's a link to a list of them:

Homeless shelters in Kalamazoo
I suspect it is just a new device for panhandling. Funny that nobody thought of it before. They certainly are not accomplishing anything for their own future by standing there all day.
I think it probably is just for pocket money - I mean, it doesn't take much to afford a meal at McDonalds or buy some booze.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:47 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
I was just talking about this very thing yesterday with a friend of mine who owns a drywall company.

He said that over the many years, he has offered scores of able-bodied people holding signs at street corners here in Genesee county the chance to work for a day for $10 an hour, and has never once been taken up on the offer.

I agree that it's probably safe to hand a dollar to these folks, (and I used to do it) but not improving their lives in the long run. Whereas donating money or time to shelters and such goes a lot further.

Back when I lived in Colorado there was a particular homeless (and he really was homeless) person who had a sign that said "Why Lie, I Need Beer." I thought that was refreshing and I'd give him a dollar once in a while.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:36 PM

28 posts, read 78,419 times
That's exactly what I'll do, I'll donate and continue to ignore these people. But still, it amazes me that they are allowed to try to fraud folks. It's really annoying. Glad I had the sense to utilize this resource and ask for some advice. I truly appreciate the insight and all the social services info and links. You're awesome!

Old 04-11-2014, 11:32 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,931,116 times
Last evening I was approached by a guy with a long convoluted story which he seemed to have well planned out, sort of like a telemarketer. I listened attentively for something that made sense and the tale got so twisty I declined. He was still trolling the parking lot when I left. In exchange for a donation, he offered to kiss my shoes (who wouldn't desire that spectacle?) and I was wondering about his sincerity there.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:38 AM

1 posts, read 492 times
Personally, I lost my job, Went into a Rehabilitation program to get back on the right track, I have to say that I never thought it could happen to me, 54 and homeless trying to find clean safe shelter to look for work seems to be almost impossible to find help. All I have to work with is a laptop and Internet when possible. and currently stuck in Kalamazoo. Only to find the Gospel Mission director most unkind. In single digit weather was told to come back another day. Even the Rehab facility I was succesfully released from was shocked.

Last edited by Chemical Sky; 01-11-2015 at 07:47 AM.. Reason: missing words.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:09 AM

447 posts, read 495,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemical Sky View Post
Personally, I lost my job, Went into a Rehabilitation program to get back on the right track, I have to say that I never thought it could happen to me, 54 and homeless trying to find clean safe shelter to look for work seems to be almost impossible to find help. All I have to work with is a laptop and Internet when possible. and currently stuck in Kalamazoo. Only to find the Gospel Mission director most unkind. In single digit weather was told to come back another day. Even the Rehab facility I was succesfully released from was shocked.
How was the director unkind?
Did he not let you into the building? The news have been running stories on shelters through the Midwest being over crowded and even being forced to turn people away with this recent cold snap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan