Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 09:36 AM

28 posts, read 78,158 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I've been living here a year now (moved from the east coast). I see that at the highway exit that there are several men or women standing with signs asking for money saying they are homeless. And it breaks my heart. I want to help but because I always have my very young daughter I'm reluctant to stop. Only because of her safety as I don't know the situation, how credible it is and don't want to potentially be in a situation that my daughter may be harmed in any way. In no way am I saying homeless people are dangerous, I'm saying I don't know the situation and if these people are truthful or pulling one on us. I for one don't want to support a drug or gambling habit but it still breaks my heart and I want to do something. I'm here because although I've been living here for a year I still don't know the area, the history, and I wanted to know if anyone has insight into these folks, what shelters can I give them the address to, are there any programs that help them with cleaning up, getting a warm meal, new clothes a place to sleep, transportation, job interviews? I'd like to help but I don't want to be fooled as I have my own family and my own debt and want to make sure that any time or money i take away from them will truly be helping someone and of course that I'm safe when doing so. Please any advice, perspective, and resources that you could recommend will be truly appreciated.

God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 11:31 AM

447 posts, read 491,886 times
They are generally harmless, but you should never open yourself up to being a victim.
Kalamazoo has an extensive network of shelters and aid organizations. the biggest is the Gospel Mission. I give to the Dioceses of Kalamazoo. These organizations distribute aid and will purchase items for the homeless when they need them....ie...food, clothes, bus tickets, pay their heating bills and rent assistance (for those that still have a home)......

The Mission will also feed and bed people, but they are not permitted to loiter in the building during the day. Also, they are not allowed on their property if they are under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

In short, if you give them money then most likely it is going to feed their habit or addiction.
If you want to really do good then give money to the Gospel Mission so they can further help our less fortunate in ways that will better their lives.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:31 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,055,344 times
It is a personal choice. Typically pretty safe. BUT there have been numerous reports both here and other states where the folks looking for money go off at the end of the day and jump into a 2013 SUV parked down the street and head home to a $300K home.

Not that it is always so, but I think it happens 60% of the time? I would and have, drove by and handed them a bag of fast food in lieu of money.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:01 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,895,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
It is a personal choice. Typically pretty safe. BUT there have been numerous reports both here and other states where the folks looking for money go off at the end of the day and jump into a 2013 SUV parked down the street and head home to a $300K home.

Not that it is always so, but I think it happens 60% of the time? I would and have, drove by and handed them a bag of fast food in lieu of money.
Exactly so, unfortunately. There have been investigations. There are all kinds of possibilities here, like maybe their unemployment has run out and they are just getting by, but we don't know.
They would still have their cars and homes which they are struggling to maintain or can't unload. I would like to hear their stories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi81 View Post
Hi there,

I've been living here a year now (moved from the east coast). I see that at the highway exit that there are several men or women standing with signs asking for money saying they are homeless. And it breaks my heart. I want to help but because I always have my very young daughter I'm reluctant to stop. Only because of her safety as I don't know the situation, how credible it is and don't want to potentially be in a situation that my daughter may be harmed in any way. In no way am I saying homeless people are dangerous, I'm saying I don't know the situation and if these people are truthful or pulling one on us. I for one don't want to support a drug or gambling habit but it still breaks my heart and I want to do something. I'm here because although I've been living here for a year I still don't know the area, the history, and I wanted to know if anyone has insight into these folks, what shelters can I give them the address to, are there any programs that help them with cleaning up, getting a warm meal, new clothes a place to sleep, transportation, job interviews? I'd like to help but I don't want to be fooled as I have my own family and my own debt and want to make sure that any time or money i take away from them will truly be helping someone and of course that I'm safe when doing so. Please any advice, perspective, and resources that you could recommend will be truly appreciated.

God bless.
This is a new trend, they are in both Holland and Grand Rapids. After finding out that some are not the impoverished they pretend to be, I no longer consider donating.
Recently, a street guy walked up to my car and asked for gas money because his car had stopped. I would have given him money but I was on my way to the bank and was not able. After taking care of business, an hour or two later I was approached by same guy a couple miles away with the same story, and he obviously didn't remember me. Just a street bum or maybe homeless and desperate, but why lie? I may have said something rude, but I don't recall.
Remember, there are shelters available, and some refuse to even use them. Maybe this guy was just out for pocket money, you just don't know.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 04-09-2014 at 02:22 PM..

Old 04-09-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernwilly View Post
They are generally harmless, but you should never open yourself up to being a victim.
Kalamazoo has an extensive network of shelters and aid organizations. the biggest is the Gospel Mission. I give to the Dioceses of Kalamazoo. These organizations distribute aid and will purchase items for the homeless when they need them....ie...food, clothes, bus tickets, pay their heating bills and rent assistance (for those that still have a home)......

The Mission will also feed and bed people, but they are not permitted to loiter in the building during the day. Also, they are not allowed on their property if they are under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

In short, if you give them money then most likely it is going to feed their habit or addiction.
If you want to really do good then give money to the Gospel Mission so they can further help our less fortunate in ways that will better their lives.
Thank you so much for your help and insight. It's very helpful!

Old 04-09-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post

I was afraid of that. How is this allowed? Can't the cops do something or am I being ridiculous?

Old 04-09-2014, 03:46 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,256,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi81 View Post
I was afraid of that. How is this allowed? Can't the cops do something or am I being ridiculous?
I think the cops have bigger fish to fry and figure that these people are essentially harmless because most people just ignore them.

There are several guys who hang out at the west bound I-94 exits around Ann Arbor with signs and I have yet to see anyone stop for them, approach them, or give them anything. I hate to be cynical, but I think if they were really desperate for help they would find a way to get to a shelter or social services organization. It is a huge waste of time to stand at an expressway exit all day and be generally ignored, isn't it? You would think that after a few days of this they would realize that they need to find a Plan B.

That said, I, too, feel guilty driving past them, especially when our kids were younger and I wanted to set a good example of helping the less fortunate. However, safety, especially that of our kids, has to trump taking that chance. We donate to a shelter in Toledo, Ohio that does wonderful work with homeless, often addicted, men.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:04 PM

447 posts, read 491,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I think the cops have bigger fish to fry and figure that these people are essentially harmless because most people just ignore them.

There are several guys who hang out at the west bound I-94 exits around Ann Arbor with signs and I have yet to see anyone stop for them, approach them, or give them anything. I hate to be cynical, but I think if they were really desperate for help they would find a way to get to a shelter or social services organization. It is a huge waste of time to stand at an expressway exit all day and be generally ignored, isn't it? You would think that after a few days of this they would realize that they need to find a Plan B.

That said, I, too, feel guilty driving past them, especially when our kids were younger and I wanted to set a good example of helping the less fortunate. However, safety, especially that of our kids, has to trump taking that chance. We donate to a shelter in Toledo, Ohio that does wonderful work with homeless, often addicted, men.
You are doing the right thing.
Giving them cash is not going to do any good.

Before the freeway ramp pan handling started, we used to get people asking for money in parking lots. They usually had a line about how they needed money to get from Kalamazoo to their home in Battle Creek. A local church started hanging out in the parking lots with their van readily available and they offered these stranded souls a free ride home. None of them would take that ride. Soon, word got around and that gig ended.

The best way to help is to give money to your local charities. They will make sure that it goes to the good and not for ill use or to people that are not in need but lie and take advantage of people's good will.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:21 AM

20,894 posts, read 19,360,934 times
If they can hold a sign "Homeless Please Help", they can just as easily hold a sign "Little Caesar's $5" or "Liberty Tax Service". It's their choice.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:19 AM

790 posts, read 2,311,549 times
I think the fact that they're doing it in a group is suspicious. I agree with those who suggest giving to local aid organizations instead. There are several; here's a link to a list of them:

Homeless shelters in Kalamazoo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan