Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 04:29 PM

1,204 posts, read 867,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Have you considered Charlevoix? Has the Saugatuck feel, great festivals. A number of 1/2 acre houses around there, and not expensive.

WOW-- took a look at the MLS this morning and was very pleasantly surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 07:02 PM

447 posts, read 492,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMANDTHOM View Post
WOW-- took a look at the MLS this morning and was very pleasantly surprised.
If I did not have to make a living, I would live in Charlevoix.
Beautiful town!
Beautiful country!
Beautiful people!

Old 04-19-2014, 06:41 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,973,912 times
Hi JimandThom, I am sure you would do this, but dont forget to check the city code for whatever town you are considering to make sure that there aren't breed specific laws in place. I mention this as a fellow dog-lover who is also considering re-locating to MI
This thread has given me some great ideas for towns that I want to research.
Good luck with your move!

Old 04-21-2014, 09:53 PM

1,204 posts, read 867,806 times
Twelvepaw--thanks for the reminder about checking for any breed laws. Fortunately, our muttley crew should be no problem except possibly total number. Sault Ste. Marie allows for 4. Been looking for ordinances in other area with no luck -guess I'll have to telephone.

We are just looking for a town that might be a cross between the TV towns of Mayberry RFD and the little town in Northern Exposure.

Hope you find yours!

Old 04-21-2014, 10:35 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,897,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMANDTHOM View Post
Twelvepaw--thanks for the reminder about checking for any breed laws. Fortunately, our muttley crew should be no problem except possibly total number. Sault Ste. Marie allows for 4. Been looking for ordinances in other area with no luck -guess I'll have to telephone.

We are just looking for a town that might be a cross between the TV towns of Mayberry RFD and the little town in Northern Exposure.

Hope you find yours!
I think those towns might be more inland. The coastal towns are big on tourism. Some "Mayberry" types that come to mind are Montague/Whitehall, Hart, Mears, Scottville, Onekama, Bear Lake, Frankfort/Elberta, Beulah, Bellaire, Rapid City, Central Lake. Can't speak to tolerance levels, but they sort of fit your description. Good luck in getting opinions from current residents here.
I believe filmmaker Michael Moore is a Bellaire resident.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,257 times
I grew up in Ludington. When I realized I was gay, I couldn't WAIT to get the hell out of there. Unless things have changed radically, I WOULD NOT recommend a move up there. But then again, I am an LA kind of guy. Good luck in your search.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:53 AM

1,316 posts, read 739,805 times
If you do reconsider the UP, Marquette is a very good option. Yes, winters are long, but they are usually not quite as bad as the Soo (I grew up nearby), snow wise, as long as you are in Marquette proper. Inland it will get ugly! We are a very diverse community--gay friendly, certainly, but *extremely* dog friendly. I don't know about the limit per household. I only have 2. We have a lot going on here--more than any other community of this size I've lived in. And it's absolutely beautiful. When it's high tourist season, NMU is on summer session, so the population actually goes down. It's really nice to have our town get sleepier in the summer--that way locals can enjoy everything there is to love about Marquette in summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan