Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 07:48 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,092,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Never really liked the East Coast. Too fast paced and expensive. I did graduate college in December, so I do have a degree. My degree is in English (Writing), though. I do plan on learning how to drive once I get some things figured out.
You still have north, west and south as options. I never said anything about the East coast. There's a whole lotta country to the south and west too.

Not that Michigan isn't a great state - it is. But unless you settle yourself in downtown Ann Arbor or Detroit, you are going to be very limited in mobility and employment options in this state if you won't drive. That's just fact.

MDOT - Public Transit Providers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 07:54 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,591,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
You still have north, west and south as options. I never said anything about the East coast. There's a whole lotta country to the south and west too.

Not that Michigan isn't a great state - it is. But unless you settle yourself in downtown Ann Arbor or Detroit, you are going to be very limited in mobility and employment options in this state if you won't drive. That's just fact.

MDOT - Public Transit Providers
I have some health issues and I can't really do humidity (it makes me sick), that's why the South is out. North (like Alaska) and West would be a bit too far... my parents still want to visit (I'm an only child).

I was thinking about Ann Arbor. But, I do plan on driving, I just have some health things I have to sort out and then see what finances are. I plan on working two jobs. I did that through college - I'm still at a library, but I also wrote computer manuals and taught faculty and staff how to use programs. I have computer skills too.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:23 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,092,948 times
Then write Michigan off your list, if you can't handle humidity for health reasons. Michigan on average is much more humid than PA in summer, and more humid than some of your surrounding and close-by Southern states.

With your library and computer skills, I'm sure you look this up in minutes.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:44 PM

See, my biggest thing is moving where I know no one. I pretty much have no one here in King of Prussia and it has brought some bad luck. Like I said, I have friends out that way. I want to be near people I know.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:54 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,548,242 times
Roseville isn't too bad. Generally, the farther west and north you go, the better it gets. The houses are fairly small and good for a single person. I'm not so sure of the apartments though (the cheapest ones are probably to be avoided). Apartments along Utica Road should be pretty alright for your budget. It probably wouldn't hurt to expand your search a bit to include central to northern Warren, southern Sterling Heights, and Fraser. Those are generally decent areas.

Transit in general is kind of lacking. It's doable, but you'd definitely have an easier time with a car. The SMART bus system here doesn't even go through Livonia so that'd probably be a big limitation for you without a car. Otherwise, it would be a better area than Roseville.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Roseville isn't too bad. Generally, the farther west and north you go, the better it gets. The houses are fairly small and good for a single person. I'm not so sure of the apartments though (the cheapest ones are probably to be avoided). Apartments along Utica Road should be pretty alright for your budget. It probably wouldn't hurt to expand your search a bit to include central to northern Warren, southern Sterling Heights, and Fraser. Those are generally decent areas.

Transit in general is kind of lacking. It's doable, but you'd definitely have an easier time with a car. The SMART bus system here doesn't even go through Livonia so that'd probably be a big limitation for you without a car. Otherwise, it would be a better area than Roseville.
Ah, okay. There are driving schools in the area, right? I used to have a permit, but health issues at the time contributed to failing 8 times. I feel better now, anxiety is getting manageable and would like to try again. Transit around where I live in Pennsylvania is awful, so I don't want to be limited in a new area. It's a long story to what contributed mostly to my anxiety here (and of course tests made me nervous... I was a decent driver with an instructor, but when it came time to the test, I'd freeze up and get really anxious... I'm going to go through some therapy too).

I'll try Southern Sterling Heights as well. I heard good things about that location. Thank you all so much for the help. I'm new here, but is it okay to post some of the apartments I've been looking at?

Old 04-17-2014, 02:23 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,896,542 times
If buses are important, here is the S.M.A.R.T. system overview. Some apartments provide connector services to these main lines, and some connector buses are provided by SMART itself.
http://www.smartbus.org/SiteCollecti...stem%20Map.pdf

Old 04-17-2014, 02:30 PM

10,103 posts, read 19,308,446 times
Just a suggestion....perhaps a hospital?They need translators, especially for Arabic.....Make sure to indicate your language skills on applications.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
If buses are important, here is the S.M.A.R.T. system overview. Some apartments provide connector services to these main lines, and some connector buses are provided by SMART itself.
http://www.smartbus.org/SiteCollecti...stem%20Map.pdf
Thank you. I'll check this out.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:03 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,845,693 times
I would choose Roseville if I were you. From the look at the SMART map that detwahDJ posted, you can see that Roseville has much more transit action around there then Livonia (which has none). I believe Livonia opted out of the SMART bus route (which was a very dumb idea imo). The transit options in western Wayne county as a whole are very far and few between as you can see from the map. If your going to be taking SMART to work, you can live near the Gratiot or Van Dyke corridor and get to Roseville easily since those are considered "main corridors routes".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan