Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 02:59 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,598,746 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I currently live in Pennsylvania and I'm looking in Michigan. At first I was looking at Detroit, but now I'm considering Roseville, Livonia and the other metro areas. My mom still isn't too thrilled and I applied at the Costco where I currently live and the one in Roseville. I'm thinking my best bet is transferring, but does anyone have any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 05:03 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,906,834 times
I would not commute from Livonia to Roseville if that's what you're thinking. Are there job openings in the western suburbs? I prefer those for just about everything related to quality of life.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:16 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,560,715 times
What would be your main reason for moving? Job? Family? Lifestyle?

Old 04-16-2014, 05:49 PM

Hi everyone,

I don't have a license, so I'd be taking a bus. If I get the Costco job, it's in Roseville (it's on Gatriot Rd.) and other jobs I've been looking at in Pennsylvania that are also in Michigan are either in Roseville or Livonia. I just started looking at apartments again and I will be honest, I haven't looked at places in Livonia yet, but the few places I saw in Roseville seemed nice. I just have to check ratings on them and of course visit. Are there any places in Roseville I should avoid?

My main reason for moving is I love the Midwest and there are currently more jobs in Michigan than where I live in Pennsylvania. King of Prussia is very upscale and the only jobs for entry level individuals are basically mall jobs. It's also very expensive here (where Michigan as well as other places in the Midwest are much cheaper). I really like the way of life in the Midwest. I was just never really happy around here and most of my friends are in Michigan, Wisconsin and a few in Chicago. Also, I speak Arabic and German in addition to English (English is my native language and my degree is in English), which I saw there were a few Arabic speaking jobs in the Detroit metro area.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:55 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,477,957 times
I would choose Livonia over Roseville. The Livonia Costco is in an expanding area which is right on the border of Northville -- one of the most affluent burbs in the metro area.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:58 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,110,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Hi everyone,

I don't have a license, so I'd be taking a bus. If I get the Costco job, it's in Roseville (it's on Gatriot Rd.) and other jobs I've been looking at in Pennsylvania that are also in Michigan are either in Roseville or Livonia. I just started looking at apartments again and I will be honest, I haven't looked at places in Livonia yet, but the few places I saw in Roseville seemed nice. I just have to check ratings on them and of course visit. Are there any places in Roseville I should avoid?

My main reason for moving is I love the Midwest and there are currently more jobs in Michigan than where I live in Pennsylvania. King of Prussia is very upscale and the only jobs for entry level individuals are basically mall jobs. It's also very expensive here (where Michigan as well as other places in the Midwest are much cheaper). I really like the way of life in the Midwest. I was just never really happy around here and most of my friends are in Michigan, Wisconsin and a few in Chicago. Also, I speak Arabic and German in addition to English (English is my native language and my degree is in English), which I saw there were a few Arabic speaking jobs in the Detroit metro area.
As an Arabic speaker, have you considered interpreter positions with schools or municipalities? Especially here where we have the largest Arab population outside the Middle East, or at least in America.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
As an Arabic speaker, have you considered interpreter positions with schools or municipalities? Especially here where we have the largest Arab population outside the Middle East, or at least in America.
I have, but I really want to avoid Washington, D.C. Like I said, I love the Midwest. I haven't really found any school positions, but I know I saw a while back that one courthouse in Detroit was looking for translators in Arabic and French (I know some French), but you needed a lot of experience. I graduated in December and don't really have a lot of experience translating. I'm not sure if a school would be forgiving or willing to train? I'm intermediate in Arabic and can speak almost fluent German (I traveled to Germany, but have never been to the Middle East). I have also started writing children's books in Arabic and German that I'd like to get published someday.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
I would choose Livonia over Roseville. The Livonia Costco is in an expanding area which is right on the border of Northville -- one of the most affluent burbs in the metro area.
Alright. I'll give Livonia a look then. One of the bands I follow has a shop in Livonia and I was thinking about checking that out too. Hopefully I find something affordable. How is public transit in the areas?

Old 04-16-2014, 06:25 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,111,525 times
Not driving + not having a skill or degree without a lot of potential is going to make Michigan a challenge - it's a state with a high unemployment rate (although that's improving) and is HIGHLY dependent on automobile transit - ie it's an absolutely lousy choice for anyone who doesn't drive. Generally speaking, public transit in Michigan sucks.

Seems like you have smarts and some marketable talents and you're young; so why limit yourself to the Midwest? You can always develop your skills in a more hospitable environment, then move back.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Not driving + not having a skill or degree without a lot of potential is going to make Michigan a challenge - it's a state with a high unemployment rate (although that's improving) and is HIGHLY dependent on automobile transit - ie it's an absolutely lousy choice for anyone who doesn't drive. Generally speaking, public transit in Michigan sucks.

Seems like you have smarts and some marketable talents and you're young; so why limit yourself to the Midwest? You can always develop your skills in a more hospitable environment, then move back.
Never really liked the East Coast. Too fast paced and expensive. I did graduate college in December, so I do have a degree. My degree is in English (Writing), though. I do plan on learning how to drive once I get some things figured out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan