Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 10:21 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,548,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
We should have a state law that says anyone who builds a stadium has to either demolish the old stadium or provide funds for future demolition. I'm afraid the same thing is going to happen to Joe Louis Arena that happened to Tiger Stadium and the Silverdome...and Olympia Stadium.
The city has agreed to demolish JLA. Only thing is that the demolition will be taxpayer funded.

You don't really get a profit from demolition unless you're selling the land or building something that would make up the loss. I doubt many owners are going to pay for the demolition of their own stadiums in any city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 06:47 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,471,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
The city has agreed to demolish JLA. Only thing is that the demolition will be taxpayer funded.

You don't really get a profit from demolition unless you're selling the land or building something that would make up the loss. I doubt many owners are going to pay for the demolition of their own stadiums in any city.
It could be made a condition of any public financing. Personally, I am sick of publicly subsidized sports stadiums. Something is seriously wrong when Bob Ficano has his own luxury suite at Comerica.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:13 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,773,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Note to self:

Never, ever go to an indoor Motocross event.

I had a headache for days.

I still miss Tiger Stadium.
Oh yes, we saw a monster truck rally at the Silverdome and the exhaust got so thick you could barely see the trucks through all the smog! Cough! Hack! Thanks for taking us DAD!!!

Old 05-18-2014, 09:18 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,773,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
It was in a terrible area, and just an ugly drive to and from. I despised going there.
Magellan is right about the bathrooms...wtf?
In the middle of a massive parking lot in the middle of an industrial zone. Who exactly has nostalgia about that dump?

Compared to how Ford Field and Comerica Park blend together? It's awesome at street level. Hard to tell where the stadiums end and the surrounding buildings begin.

I do agree on public subsidies of sports stadiums, but that's not what the original posted article was about.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:53 PM

123 posts, read 198,520 times
I follow soccer and watched the Detroit Express play there many moons ago. A couple of years ago the Greek guys who bought it unveiled a plan to split the Silverdome into 3 levels and get a Major League Soccer team here to play on the roof level. It was an absolutely crazy idea that people involved in stadium design said would cost $300 million or more. Total publicity stunt.

Remember they bought the place for a ridiculously low price of $500k. It cost them $2 million a year just to keep the roof inflated. Funny how the roof just came down one day. My guess is the purchase was a pure real estate play on their part and they got tired of paying the bills.

Sad to see a place you spent so much time in go down the drain, but Ford Field is far superior.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:44 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,059,674 times
I miss coming off the exit ramp of 75 to m59 east and someone spray painted "lions suck" in blue. Perhaps someone can carry this tradition over to 375 getting onto 75 by ford field? Keep the memories alive!

Old 05-19-2014, 06:03 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,566,553 times
Yeah, it really isn't that sad or haunting. It's more of a science experiment. "This is what happens when you stop maintaining a building."

If the Lions had abandoned the Detroit area and moved to another city and the dilapidated Silverdome was all that remained, it might be worthy of a dramatic story. But the truth is that everything pretty much turned out for the best.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:08 AM

50 posts, read 79,217 times
The city could have sold the dome many years ago for millions (I forget the actual number) but a couple of the clowns on the city council held up the sale because they didn't get every one of their silly-azz questions answered. Unbelievable. That's the real sad story behind the stadium, a council that has no head for business. What did they end up selling it for, $800,000?

Old 05-20-2014, 10:13 AM

123 posts, read 223,034 times
Sad? No I think not.
This is an ugly building in an industrial waste land made of concrete and plastic, tear it down and find a new use.
I will be sad thinking about all those great winning years of Lions football we had there - NOT

Old 05-21-2014, 05:00 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,736,891 times
Seriously?

We're not talking about Soldier Field or the Rose Bowl here. This was not a historic stadium. It hosted an NFL team for a mere 27 seasons. It was a bland stadium devoid of character. The team that played there was bad to an epic degree, winning one playoff game over that span of time. They had only 8 winning seasons, four of them mediocre 9-7s, a pair of not-much-better 10-6s, and one 12-4 season (when they got crushed in the NFL title game).

It was a purely utilitarian building. The Hoosierdome and the Metrodome saw more drama and talented teams than ever did the Silverdome, and even they're not worthy of so much as a backward glance. And concerts? Domes are lousy locales for music.

The only 'heartbreaking' aspect to this is that politicians and the public have such screwed up priorities that they're willing to foot the bill to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars to build new stadiums for billionaires not because the middle-aged stadiums are no longer functional (they are more than functional) but because said billionaires can't quite squeeze as many millions out of them as they'd like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: