Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2014, 03:12 PM

514 posts, read 759,998 times

Advertisements

I suffer from terrible seasonal allergies, and Michigan doesn't seem to help the situation. The volatile weather here excites the problem immensely, and it seems like every season there is something sprouting up to pose a challenge. As a result, I am constantly in reaching distance of a box of tissues and a few cases of Benadryl. I have had numerous testing done and tried a plethora of allergy products but nothing seems to work. I have even had a handful of doctors prescribe me a one way ticket out of Michigan as a possible solution.

Anyone else in my situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 04:10 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,830,369 times
Zyrtec is very good, and won't cause nearly as much sleepiness as Benadryl. Try one of the store-brand generic versions.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:15 PM

514 posts, read 759,998 times
I have tried Zyrtec but it isn't enough. Testing has revealed that I place in the 99th percentile of all allergy suffers for IgE levels in response to certain irritants. I have had doctors audit my results because they were so shocked by my numbers.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:12 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,830,369 times
Time to try the allergy shots, then!
The doctors probably told you that you will likely eventually develop allergies to flora in other locations too, unfortunately. It happened to cousins who moved to Arizona and Nevada.

You certainly have plenty of company when it comes to hayfever miseries. I hope you do feel better soon so that you can enjoy the gorgeous weather. Best of luck.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:42 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,687,817 times
I use Zyrtec 365 days a year. I use Nasonex daily during peak allergy times. If I feel it start to come on, I add some Claritin into the mix. If it does hit, I beg my doctor for pseudovent to dry it up. Super fun.

I actually had a harder time with allergies when I lived in North Carolina.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:36 PM

493 posts, read 1,439,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
I suffer from terrible seasonal allergies, and Michigan doesn't seem to help the situation. The volatile weather here excites the problem immensely, and it seems like every season there is something sprouting up to pose a challenge. As a result, I am constantly in reaching distance of a box of tissues and a few cases of Benadryl. I have had numerous testing done and tried a plethora of allergy products but nothing seems to work. I have even had a handful of doctors prescribe me a one way ticket out of Michigan as a possible solution.

Anyone else in my situation?
I don't remember having allergy symptoms when I lived in Michigan, but that was 44 years ago.
Seems it would be a bit difficult to distinguish the symptoms from the usual Michigan stuffy sinuses, but since you've been tested...

However, I picked up allergies to many of the plants in the southwestern US (southern California) after living here for a few years. I take the injections and it seems to help, although each year the allergists here say that this will be the worst year.

If you find the right allergist, s/he can fast-track you so that the injections don't turn into a six-month sentence.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:02 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,561,116 times
Is Michigan truly a bad state for allergies? Seems like allergies would be worse the further south you go. Longer growing seasons, etc. My allergies are worse when I travel south.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:00 AM

123 posts, read 222,839 times
Back in the old days people from the mid-west used to spend summers up in the UP since there is less plants to cause some allergies.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:39 AM
YAZ

7,697 posts, read 14,006,917 times
All bets are off in the U.P. after the first cut of hay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan