Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Higher gas tax or Toll Roads
Higher Gas Tax 9 52.94%
Toll Roads 5 29.41%
Both 3 17.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 08:41 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,886 times

Advertisements

I drove through Canada on my way to Detroit two weeks ago to visit family. Michigan, you should be ashamed of yourselves. The roads are hands down the worst in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 10:34 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,071,062 times
I think Toll roads would be a good option based with the states listed around Michigan that are popular traveled
E-ZPass Group - About E-ZPass

Old 05-24-2014, 06:02 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,071,062 times
Also would like to see a vehicle inspection fee. I see car doors on the freeway being held with a bungee cord. That is very unsafe.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:53 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
And what has "business" done for us? Other than generating profits for themselves, how have our schools, roads, and communities benefited from business and the $1.8 billion tax cuts?

It has left us with huge repair bills for our roads.

If business does not improve or contribute to a community in a positive way, why should we allow it to be BAD fore us citizens?

Why is it ok for corporations to make $100 MILLION dollar profit, pay little or no taxes and get SUBSIDIES to operate in the black? And yet we cannot even make enough to keep up with inflation and most of us lose close to 2% in pay every year?

As for being fined for weight restrictions, why do we have restrictions? Because over weight vehicles TEAR the crap out of our roads>?

So some people think they ought to be exempt from the law???
Some are exempt.

If the power is out during the weight laws....the big truck can be on secondary roads.....milk trucks can...there are a few others.

Here is a link.....

http://www.micountyroads.org/weight.php

Old 05-25-2014, 02:52 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,275,474 times
As some of the more frequent visitors in this forum may know, I moved to Indiana in Feb of 2013. As glad as I am to be back home in Michigan now and my wife and I are finally in job we both love, I have to say this. The worst roads in Indiana were still better than 90% of the roads I travel here back home. I have no desire to pay every time I fill up. I'd prefer a one time fuel tax, maybe higher registration fee's and most of all they need to do this one major thing. Hit these corporations that overload their trucks on a daily basis. I'd say every corrugated company I worked at loaded the trucks with more than they should have been carrying. This right out of the mouths of the people in shipping. They overload them and then avoid driving on freeways where they have weigh stations. The result is destroying the surface streets. If the result is a car or truck costing an extra $100 I could care less. But to be hit up more and more at the pump is just stupid.
Regarding the question about lottery money going to the roads. I have no idea. Last I knew it was the solve all for our schools. Not sure where that money went either. All I know is I get a list of supplies every year for my son that were given to me when I was in school. Oh and property taxes in Oakland county are some of the highest in the country if I remember right. Schools should be great you would think. Uhhhh not so much.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:40 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
To be fair, we had a huge repair bill long before the business tax cut, and we still have a huge repair bill. I don't think the two are necessarily related.
I just see the billion dollar tax cuts as providing less money for everything. Yes the roads were and have been bad long before tax cuts were offered, but I guess my point is why give away billions when money is so desperately needed for infrastructure, education, etc.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:01 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I just see the billion dollar tax cuts as providing less money for everything. Yes the roads were and have been bad long before tax cuts were offered, but I guess my point is why give away billions when money is so desperately needed for infrastructure, education, etc.
Tax cuts among other things. Reminds me of this on a national level - all under the radar of most Americans and our corporate "news and information" media.
Carl Levin - United States Senator for Michigan: Newsroom - Press Releases

Reminds me, I wonder what Mylie is doing right now - some twerking perhaps?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan