Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 05:58 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,169,174 times

Advertisements

Was wondering what the UP bug season prediction was. Maybe its always bad enough it doesn't matter but aren't some years worse than others based on moisture, temp etc.? Will it be bad but delayed? For example because of the especially cold winter will the bug season be pushed into August when it usually gets better?

Also, anyone know anything about Hiawatha Resort on Blue Lake?

thanks

G
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 03:48 PM

3,841 posts, read 4,498,072 times
Default Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Was wondering what the UP bug season prediction was. Maybe its always bad enough it doesn't matter but aren't some years worse than others based on moisture, temp etc.? Will it be bad but delayed? For example because of the especially cold winter will the bug season be pushed into August when it usually gets better?

Also, anyone know anything about Hiawatha Resort on Blue Lake?

thanks

G
I was just coming over to this forum to ask basically the same question...
We'll be in South Wisconsin late June for a wedding, then thinking of a road trip to the UP. We've been there in early fall, (amazing!) but wanted to see it in summer. Was warned about mosquitoes and black flies so we'll be prepared with long sleeves and Deet, but anxious to know how bad it will be.
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for replies because living in California, I don't know what "really bad" is when it comes to the biting critters. (although we do get them, it sound like the UP is legendary in this regard.)

Cheers!

Old 05-31-2014, 04:17 PM
YAZ

7,700 posts, read 14,028,461 times
Well, the mayfly hatch was a little late this year and their numbers weren't as great historically. That doesn't mean there weren't as many as usual, but the hatch may have been spread out somewhat. So, what I'm trying to say is....they're just as many but over a greater amount of time.

Caddis flies won't be prevalent until at least mid June with the milder temps and the late spring......

Air temp is perfect but the water temp is severely lagging.....thank Ma Nature for the heavy ice.

That was for all of the fly fishing folks.....courtesy of relatives & buddies in the north.

Hiking, camping, canoeing, etc. folks will most likely experience a DECREASE in bug activity this summer overall....I've lived there after some severe winters for many years and have experienced the trends.

Skeeters will be prevalent (as always), and you'll have to deal with the deer flies too. DEET products will work fine and you'll need just a taste to keep them away. I will suggest a citronella candle on your picnic table in the evenings.

Keep your tent flaps closed ALWAYS.

Do a tick check (more than daily).

For some reason I found that ticks & mosquitos were more prevalent with the shorter springs.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Well, the mayfly hatch was a little late this year and their numbers weren't as great historically. That doesn't mean there weren't as many as usual, but the hatch may have been spread out somewhat. So, what I'm trying to say is....they're just as many but over a greater amount of time.

Caddis flies won't be prevalent until at least mid June with the milder temps and the late spring......

Air temp is perfect but the water temp is severely lagging.....thank Ma Nature for the heavy ice.

That was for all of the fly fishing folks.....courtesy of relatives & buddies in the north.

Hiking, camping, canoeing, etc. folks will most likely experience a DECREASE in bug activity this summer overall....I've lived there after some severe winters for many years and have experienced the trends.

Skeeters will be prevalent (as always), and you'll have to deal with the deer flies too. DEET products will work fine and you'll need just a taste to keep them away. I will suggest a citronella candle on your picnic table in the evenings.

Keep your tent flaps closed ALWAYS.

Do a tick check (more than daily).

For some reason I found that ticks & mosquitos were more prevalent with the shorter springs.
Thank you for your wisdom YAZ!
Oh goodness, ticks! Hadn't thought of those! Yipes!

Old 06-02-2014, 06:15 PM

66 posts, read 219,372 times
We were up there Memorial weekend - mosquitoes just starting to get bad. Swarms of no-see-umps and I have a couple pretty bad bites on my foot and leg from some hungry little bug. I think we're in for a buggy summer.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:08 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,144,028 times
I was just in the area the last week of May. We bought a house a few miles down the Stonington Peninsula with a few acres that haven't been maintained in a while so it was a little overgrown. I spent about an hour in the yard and in the wooded part of the property. I picked three ticks off me and found another two crawling around the car after I left. I have no reference to tell if that is normal or not. The mosquitos weren't bad. Yet.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:02 PM

939 posts, read 2,673,724 times
We were in Munising this past weekend. Away from town in the woods, the mosquitoes were unreal. Worst ever some folks were saying. Middle of the day with sunlight and they were biting ferociously. We actually went to look at a cottage to maybe purchase but it's much nicer 'round Traverse City during summertime.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B;351city 94798
We were in Munising this past weekend. Away from town in the woods, the mosquitoes were unreal. Worst ever some folks were saying. Middle of the day with sunlight and they were biting ferociously. We actually went to look at a cottage to maybe purchase but it's much nicer 'round Traverse City during summertime.
Nicer in Traverse city? Referring to the insects or in general... beaches, restaurants etc?

Old 06-18-2014, 03:53 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,169,174 times
I talked to a guy at work today who was up in Alpena the last 2 weeks - he said the mosquito's were soooo bad.
Then on Facebook the Superior Birding Trail paged shared a page from Seney (this is in the UP) showing its refuge manager with mosquito's all over his face. Everybody is saying its the worst mosquito year in their memory.
If this is made all the worse by the new tiger mosquito? (or is it zebra?). They are apparently more often day feeders, more foracious and their bite stings more. So our old normal mosquito's plus new alien mosquito's - yay!

Old 06-18-2014, 04:52 PM

36 posts, read 63,589 times
Just got back today from the Western UP - Ontonagon, Silver City, Porkies, Black River Harbor (Ironwood). The mosquitoes were typical with the wet weather - clouds of the critters - but nothing a good DEET formula can't handle. What was unreal and really bad were the stable flies close to or at the Lake Superior shore. Locals said they hadn't been that bad for a while. Unfortunately, DEET doesn't work on stable flies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan