Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 11:45 AM

493 posts, read 1,446,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Midwest Noobie View Post
Its always annoying to me whenever I tell a server I want a "coke" and they ask if pepsi is ok, lol. Its not about brand loyalty lmao. But yeah thats one of the markers that Im truly in the Midwest now, when people call it pop, hehe. My paternal grandmother, from Nebraska who spent her early married years in Chicago called it "pop" that I remember. She also said "waRsh", not sure what Michiganders say on that one, well thats all for now.
I live in southern California, and I always get asked if Pepsi is okay when I order a Coke. Usually restaurants serve one brand or another. I can't tell the difference and don't care, but I guess some people do.

The "waRsh" this is common in Michigan, too. There was a tremendous influx of people from the southern states to find work after WWII, so you hear this and also other pronunciations common in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 07:58 AM

128 posts, read 267,896 times
The Lower Peninsula Michigan Accent ie. the Inland North accent coincidentally has more basic cardinal vowels than other American English accents making it easier for us to learn Romance Languages. Our /a/ is especially unique, it being much more fronted than other accents which have a predominate mid /a/ or even a backed /A/ (we have this too but not as our predominate <a>). The fronted /a/ is used in most dialects of metropolitan French and Spanish, so you will sound more native in these languages if you were born in the expanses of the Inland North.

Equally, we have pretty easy access to /e/, just watch the diphthong that prevails in American English, ie. the /eI/ or even /ei/ sound. The diphthong must be eliminated in Romance Languages. I do caution everyone that our /E/ is more further backed, mid almost to an /3/, and that is thus a cardinal vowel we do not share with standard dialects of Romance Languages.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:39 PM

298 posts, read 704,217 times
Although I've lived most of my adult life in Wisconsin, I still drink water from a drinking fountain, not a bubbler. And when I spill my Wisconsin "melk" I clean up with "paper toweling". My Michigan "pop" however has now become "soda".

Old 07-07-2014, 04:58 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Lately I've been picking up something here in Grand Rapids (not a native but been here 18 years): clerks at stores and gas stations and older restaurant servers speak with a nasal-ly accent that almost sounds like the cast of Fargo, or Wisconsin-esque. "What can I git ya?" And guys who look like they work outside a lot (landscapers, construction workers) almost have what I'd call a hybrid Southern accent, more Texas or Southwest than Carolina-ish. Totally weird and I hadn't noticed it until recently.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:03 AM

9 posts, read 10,392 times
I've lived pretty much my whole life in Fort Wayne, IN and outside of the vowel changes/NCVS that have been mentioned already, I don't really find much difference between how people talk here and how they talk up in Michigan- at least in Metro Detroit where my dad lives.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:40 PM

148 posts, read 242,484 times
Some of it never seems to go away. I was born and lived in Michigan until I was 18. Joined the Army, eventually ended up in Maryland, where I have lived for the last 30+ years. A few months ago, I had a stranger come up to me and say " You're from Michigan aren't you?" It wasn't the "Pop" thing either. Never used that term once I was out of grade school. Maybe it was the dd instead of t thing, cause I'm guilty of wadder, warsh, and ciddy.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:15 PM

9 posts, read 10,392 times
I think most people say wadded and ciddy, I haven't heard people really enunciate the "t" sound unless they were trying to sound proper. Also, the intrusive r in "warsh" exists all over the Midwest and even beyond.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:34 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
I really haven't heard people in Michigan say warsh, I feel that's pretty rare and happens other places.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:57 AM

206 posts, read 382,518 times
Michigan is a big state, with a lot of different accents, both by geography and by class. Some of these are closer to the "American newscaster neutral" than others. A U-M professor's kids are not going to sound like an Alpena fisherman's kids, who are not going to sound like a Detroit auto-worker's kids.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:16 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,600,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedibes View Post
Michigan is a big state, with a lot of different accents, both by geography and by class. Some of these are closer to the "American newscaster neutral" than others. A U-M professor's kids are not going to sound like an Alpena fisherman's kids, who are not going to sound like a Detroit auto-worker's kids.
And then you have the "mid Michigan farmer's kid" accent, which is a whole different animal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan