Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 07:01 PM
YAZ

7,698 posts, read 14,018,468 times

Advertisements

Gotta dig the big sky...especially at night....

Fishing & the aroma of an old cedar forest.

Seney National Wildlife Refuge.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 06:24 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,891,661 times
I might just miss the people the most. Unassuming and friendly. And no one notices my accent...

My heart will always lie with Lake Superior. I never realized how unique the miles and miles of empty shoreline was until I moved away. I have friends that grew up in California, but are over-the-top Oregon lovers, and they have pointed out how Oregon's coastline is public. I can't help but stare at them, because it's kind of what I grew up with. We went back last year and I remember having the entire beach to ourselves. We stripped down and went skinny-dipping without a thought.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:38 PM

404 posts, read 893,553 times
Default barely

Brrrrrrr cold . I had to run into Superior one time when a bear wandered into my camp. Not a skinny dip though! A bear dip not a bare dip. Never forget - just wished I had had my camera in my hands. When he saw me he just went further down the shoreline.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:17 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,891,661 times
Aw, I love swimming in the Big Lake. The ocean, not so much. I don't understand it--I don't think they are that different in temperatures, but the ocean is too cold for me. Perhaps it is the air temperature that does it for me.

Great story, though!

Old 06-23-2014, 09:29 PM

123 posts, read 198,570 times
Grand Marias as the starting point. Get some food and supplies, then west to the log slide. (i think that was the name.) They used to send logs down the sand dunes to waiting vessels in Lake Superior. I remember signs warning that even though it takes minutes to go down the dunes, It's over an hour to come back up. They were right.

Then west to the free campsites on 12 mile beach. It was so desolate that most times you could find a spot where you back up to within 50 meters of the dunes and Lake Superior. I never saw white birch forests like that before or since. It was the best camping ever.

It was also a great day trip to the pictured rocks in Munising. I hope all that is still there. My description come from 20 plus years ago.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:36 AM

485 posts, read 962,333 times
Lake Superior is the centerpiece! Just an awe-inspiring body of water with SUCH clear and fresh water. Love standing on the shore on any spot along it. May try to get a long weekend in August up there somewhere. If I can make it to Copper Harbor, all the better! Black flies still a bother? They usually subside by July, no?

Old 06-25-2014, 05:33 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,172,003 times
Favorite things about the UP:
Lake Superior
The rocky shores
The sand beaches
The history
Ability to go someplace and not see a single person for miles.
The secluded lakes
The structure of the land
Wilderness
The friendly people
No large cities, though Marquette comes close
Home town shopping
The food
My list could go on and on and thankfully I live a stones throw south of Big Mac, so I up there all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan