Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2007, 05:17 AM

2 posts, read 5,749 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved from GR to Nevada 2 years ago and miss home around this time of year. The holidays just are not the same with palm trees and no snow! We won't be going home this year for Christmas so that makes it extra hard. Anyone else missing Michigan over the holidays?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 05:34 AM

2,068 posts, read 5,967,438 times
I'm in Michigan now, but I've spent Christmases in both Texas and Indonesia, so I know what you mean! It was especially strange in Indonesia to hear Christmas music playing in some stores. <G>

Old 12-16-2007, 08:32 AM

15 posts, read 124,598 times
Default Missing Michigan too

I am from Michigan, but am a travel nurse, and have not lived there for about 7 years. I miss Michigan every winter, believe it or not. I have not been anywhere else where there is actually the feeling of xmas or of a holiday spirit. So I am missing Michigan too.
Traci

Old 12-16-2007, 11:44 AM

2 posts, read 5,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracivrn View Post
I am from Michigan, but am a travel nurse, and have not lived there for about 7 years. I miss Michigan every winter, believe it or not. I have not been anywhere else where there is actually the feeling of xmas or of a holiday spirit. So I am missing Michigan too.
Traci

I agree, there is something special about a Michigan Christmas. For me mostly it is because it is home and all our family is there. The weather also gets me into the holiday spirit. Out here, there is really no indication it is even the holiday season!

Old 12-16-2007, 12:58 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,881,421 times
I just got through scraping about an inch of snow off the sidewalk. Because I didnt shovel right away after the blizzard about a week ago there are large packed ice spots where the shovel gets hung up. Plus im standing on the sheet and can hardly keep my balance. Its been cold as he11 and I know my next gas bill is going to make me well up and just about cry, the snow banks are dirty and the kids are dragging it through the house. Ive already done a course of 30 Amoxicylin to get rid of a sinus infection (should have seen what I blew out of my face in the shower when that finally broke up) and am recovering from my 2nd cold/flu already this season

white christmas

eh!

Old 12-16-2007, 03:07 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libra23 View Post
I agree, there is something special about a Michigan Christmas. For me mostly it is because it is home and all our family is there. The weather also gets me into the holiday spirit. Out here, there is really no indication it is even the holiday season!

I know what you mean -- my kids are outdoors right now in t-shirts playing. It gets chilly at night -- but not that true Christmas kind of cold that makes you really in the Christmas frame of mind. I just got a Christmas tree but not a snowflake or icecycle in sight.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:42 AM

8 posts, read 21,319 times
I used to live in Texas and New Mexico and missed Michigan during this timeof the year. I use to miss it in the summer too. The green, the trees....

Regards,
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
I'm in Michigan now, but I've spent Christmases in both Texas and Indonesia, so I know what you mean! It was especially strange in Indonesia to hear Christmas music playing in some stores. <G>

Last edited by Yac; 12-18-2007 at 08:35 AM.. Reason: advertising not allowed

Old 12-17-2007, 03:02 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
My husband and I moved from GR to Nevada 2 years ago and miss home around this time of year. The holidays just are not the same with palm trees and no snow! We won't be going home this year for Christmas so that makes it extra hard. Anyone else missing Michigan over the holidays?

Can you bleach the sand?

Old 12-18-2007, 11:16 AM

124 posts, read 477,054 times
Quote:
I totally understand that...here in Phoenix people's idea of decorating is putting lights on the cactus...um SO not right! Not to mention that the snow globes look out of place sitting in the middle of desert landscaping...what causes people to do tacky stuff like that anyway? We are going home for Christmas this year and I can hardly wait. There is nothing like freezing your butt off on Christmas

Old 12-18-2007, 12:46 PM

25 posts, read 171,213 times
I'm missing Michigan too, although not just in the winter. I miss the green during the summer, as well as Lake Michigan. I miss the good produce at the farmers' market.

I miss the Christmas cheer too though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan