Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 06:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,066 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm currently in the process of moving back to MI. I have to find a community college with housing. I've been considering Baker Community College however I don't know which campus to move to. I'm 21 years old currently don't have a car so I'd probably spend most of my time on campus being as that most of my relatives live in the Detroit area so commute back to Detroit won't be very often. I've narrowed it down to Flint or Jackson campus. Can anyone tell me about those cities and what might be the best choice for comfortable living?? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 10:13 PM

317 posts, read 534,895 times
I really don't want to upset you, but Baker College should be one of the LAST colleges on your list to go to. I am a former student there, at the Clinton Township and Flint campuses, so please listen up.

The rating for the College is extremely low. I admit, the advisors do a fantastic job at getting everything you need done within your first visit, but that's for a specific reason: to keep you from changing your mind about the place. If you're already enrolled, you are less likely to take a step back and look at the situation.

Baker is really just an over-priced community college. Hell, even Mott Community College offers classes that can be transferred to another school/university. Baker only offers accelerated programs, and the courses themselves are written in a way that they are NOT transferable. Trust me. They swear up and down that they are but they aren't. Every course is specifically written for that college. It's crap.

Another thing to keep in mind is that they have an automatic class drop policy. I was auto-dropped because I was sick and couldn't make it to class for a day and a half. Crazy stuff. In order to get back in the class, you have to speak to the Dean.

Also, if you are getting a loan, good luck receiving your money before the last few weeks of the semester. Since Baker has short 9 week semesters, maybe 10, your loan check will finally be given to you sometime around week 6 or 7. Asinine.

If you still somehow want to stick with Baker, I suggest you steer clear of their housing. I've heard terrible things about the one in Flint. Community living sucks anyway.

Hope this helped.

Mott Community College is actually pretty damn good. It's decent for a CC.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:32 PM

791 posts, read 2,313,815 times
^I agree. I've heard mostly bad stuff about Baker. It's not a community college; community colleges are public and are a relative bargain. Baker is private, and though they say they are non-profit, the people I know who went to the one in Muskegon complain about getting gouged. It's not just that the tuition is high, it's other policies like the one mentioned above that create unexpected expenses.

Michigan's community colleges and public universities, along with some private institutions, have entered into an agreement to coordinate transfer policies (https://www.macrao.org/Publications/MACRAOAgreement.asp). Baker is not part of that agreement and many universities will not give credit for courses from Baker.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:26 AM

2,948 posts, read 7,000,350 times
Lansing Community College, Washtenaw Community College, Jackson Community College .. Those are "real" community colleges. But, they don't offer housing.

Even better!

Because, college housing is OVERPRICED. You will save a ton of money by not having college housing.

That said.. If you go to a CC, such as what is listed, look for affordable efficiency or roommate situations. If you hit LCC, I know the bus transit is pretty good and there are some low cost housing options within walking distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan