Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 11:03 PM

25 posts, read 40,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlady View Post
I'm not sure what city you're from exactly, but I think you can go either way on this. We lived in Holland, Michigan for four years and I found the adjustment really hard. Though I grew up in a small town (less than 1500 people), I've spent all of my adult life in major cities (mostly Los Angeles). Sure, Grand Rapids was super close, but it's still far smaller from the types of cities I was used to. That said, a good friend grew up in Boston, went to college in L.A., and really loves Michigan. It just depends.
Did you have a hard time adjusting to the winters and cold weather? Are you in a big city right now as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 01:25 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,795,836 times
Hi
I am not familiar with where you are living in MI. I live and grew up in Oakland County area. I have lived in other states CA, FL, NJ. Having lived in many places for most there is no perfect and each place has its pros and cons. I am very sensitive to weather and am not a fan of winters. This last winter was ruff since we had record snow and also I had been away from winter for around 6 years. That being said fall and spring in MI is so nice. With seasons I think it can bring fun things to do.
It sounds like the area you will be living in MI lacks things to do but is there even like an hour away where there is more like shopping etc? I ask cause during the week you will be at work but on the weekends you could go to those areas? You may also in time find things you enjoy where you live such as a coffee shop or a restaurant. Maybe joining a group and meeting people will help too.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:05 PM

25 posts, read 40,763 times
As far as I know, the town I'm moving to is very family-oriented and is a tourist vacation spot during the summers. It seems like the only things to do there are wineries, farmer markets, *some activity* on the lake, and give or a take a few bars. The good thing is that it seems like Chicago is about a 1.5-2 hour drive away and South Bend is about a 40 minute drive away. I'll also be trying to join some work intramural team, hopefully basketball. I love my basketball.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:53 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,188,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegegrad92 View Post
As far as I know, the town I'm moving to is very family-oriented and is a tourist vacation spot during the summers. It seems like the only things to do there are wineries, farmer markets, *some activity* on the lake, and give or a take a few bars. The good thing is that it seems like Chicago is about a 1.5-2 hour drive away and South Bend is about a 40 minute drive away. I'll also be trying to join some work intramural team, hopefully basketball. I love my basketball.
Here's a link about Devon Ave. in Chicago which you may be interested in. I love going there, so many
different cultures and everyone get's along.
There are many things to see in Michigan (several nice towns along Lake Michigan), wineries, some of
the best fruit (either u-pick) or produce stands as well as vegetables ( I really miss that).

A Guide to Devon Avenue | Chicago magazine | January 2011

Old 07-03-2014, 07:02 PM

62 posts, read 116,019 times
I was born here (Adrian to be precise) and have spent a large chunk of my life here....its generally been a good to decent expirence, especially my early childhood in jones/cass county, but as of late, its gotten worse and worse....after living in the UP (and expirencing a level of dissatisfaction with that area) for 5 years and coming back to kalamazoo, it seems to have gotten more crowded and violent than it was when I left........actively looking to move south, Tennessee, south carolina, Georgia, Arkansas, even back to florida are all options.....somewhere with lots of acreage and no neighbors on top of you.......got sick of the snow as well and this last winter was the proverbial straw breaking the camels back, it would be nice to live in a place where I'd never have to pick up a scoop or shovel again.....

Old 07-03-2014, 09:24 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,899,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maersk View Post
I was born here (Adrian to be precise) and have spent a large chunk of my life here....its generally been a good to decent expirence, especially my early childhood in jones/cass county, but as of late, its gotten worse and worse....after living in the UP (and expirencing a level of dissatisfaction with that area) for 5 years and coming back to kalamazoo, it seems to have gotten more crowded and violent than it was when I left........actively looking to move south, Tennessee, south carolina, Georgia, Arkansas, even back to florida are all options.....somewhere with lots of acreage and no neighbors on top of you.......got sick of the snow as well and this last winter was the proverbial straw breaking the camels back, it would be nice to live in a place where I'd never have to pick up a scoop or shovel again.....
Wow, Jones. Not many people know where that is, but I used to drive through it (on M-40 if that's the place) in my explorations of outdoor recreation. BTW Tennessee down through North Carolina gets our weather, only sloppier. Check out the wintertime jet stream and you will see the normal southeasterly pattern.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:53 AM

128 posts, read 266,492 times
I was born and raised in Saginaw, MI. After 22 years I am finally moving out of the state.

Michigan is one of those states that is so beautiful, and could have so much potential, but falls short, especially in the economy arena. If I grew up in Grand Rapids I probably would have a brighter perspective on the state, but since I'm from the East Side of the state, my perspective is less than that. I love my state. I hope someday it is throughout a booming prosperous state.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:11 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,264,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegegrad92 View Post
Wow! Thanks for all the replies everyone, I really love hearing all the different experiences you guys have had. I think there will be a big adjustment period and I will try my best give Michigan a chance! I went up to St. Joe the other day to move some stuff into my apartment and it wasn't so bad. I think I might just be a little spoiled with having everything so close to me (shopping malls, restaurants, etc.) and was little bummed out about the lack of shops, restaurants, etc.

To give you guys a little bit more info about myself so you know where I'm coming from, I was born in New Delhi, India (HUGE/populated city) and lived there till I was 8 and still visit my family back there every year or two so I'm very comfortable with hot weather. In the summers there, the average temperature is probably around 100 with the low being in the 80's. It can even get as bad as 120 degrees every now and then. Lived in Ft. Lauderdale, FL after that for a few years and loved it as well (minus a couple hurricanes lol). And now I'm currently in Indianapolis and have lived here for quite awhile. I am absolutely no fan of winters but I will say that snow looks beautiful! I hate it when there are no leaves on trees and everything is dead outside but I'm quite used to it now. Since I'll be living alone I figure I try to get out more during the winter months since those will be rough so that is why I was wondering of some places where I could learn to snowboard or even ski.

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely give it my best to adjust to St. Joe. Funny you mention carmel, that's where I am from :P. If you don't mind me asking, did you not like it here or did other circumstances force you guys to move again?
I liked Carmel. Liked it a lot. Loved my job and things were going well for me. But my wife had a hard time trying to find a job, my oldest son quit the job I got him down there to move back and then my youngest wanted to come back as did my wife. So, here I am. As much as I enjoyed the area, I knew no matter what I'd be back in Michigan at some point in my life. Looking out my door wall as I type this I am looking at a lake. This pipe dream will coming to an end soon, but sometimes we need to step back to move forward. When my wife finishes school I hope to head north. There are a lot of places I want to visit in my life, but I don't ever seeing me calling anyplace else home.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:40 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,174,612 times
Born in Pontiac, moved to Petoskey in 1968. Lived in Breckenridge, CO for a year (short term job) and back to Petoskey. Moved to Alaska, Wasilla-Palmer area, after four years, I moved back to very northern lower in Bliss, MI. One of the reasons I left AK, among some others, including work, was because I missed all the snow, the lakes, the trees, the clean air...
I guess I like living here in Michigan, but I sure has hell would never move any further south in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan