Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 11:21 PM

25 posts, read 40,669 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to the Saint Joseph area in a couple weeks and I'm looking forward to a new chapter in my life, although I'm a bit nervous and not sure what to expect. I've read some similar threads but those are dated now and might not reflect current opinions. How do you guys like living in Michigan? Hate it? Love it? Plan to move away in the near future?

I'm afraid I won't end up liking it because I'm not much of a nature guy. I've been raised in or near a medium/large city my entire life so I'm used to having a lot to do (bars, entertainment, etc.) within a few miles from my home. Any suggestions for a guy like me? I know you can't really plan things out because you never know what will happen but I was hoping I will end up liking the place and if not, get some job experience and start looking somewhere else in a couple years.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 02:14 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,840,373 times
If you like medium/ large cities you should be looking in the Detroit or Grand Rapids area. Even the Kalamazoo area would be a better choice and it's in west Michigan. Kalamazoo is a college town so it does have entertainment options and it's metro area is around 400,000. St. Joesph/ Benton Harbor is about the size of the neighborhood I grew up in.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:50 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,561,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
If you like medium/ large cities you should be looking in the Detroit or Grand Rapids area. Even the Kalamazoo area would be a better choice and it's in west Michigan. Kalamazoo is a college town so it does have entertainment options and it's metro area is around 400,000. St. Joesph/ Benton Harbor is about the size of the neighborhood I grew up in.
I'm pretty sure the OP is already taking a job in St. Joseph, so advising him to look at other options probably doesn't help much at this point.

It is hard for me to relate, because I live the rural life and nature is my biggest reason for enjoying Michigan.

It sounds like you will get bored with the entertainment options near St. Joseph pretty quickly. Your only options at that point, really, are to try to appreciate the natural beauty along Lake Michigan as much as you can, or be willing to get in your car and drive to places with more to do. Kalamazoo is a great medium-sized town and within a reasonable drive of St. Joseph. Obviously, it doesn't work very well to drive 40 minutes and back to go bar hopping, so you would have to figure out a way to manage that. Maybe plan trips once a month to Kalamazoo or Grand Rapids where you can stay in a downtown hotel room and enjoy the nightlife. Another option might be to take the Amtrak up to Holland occasionally just for something different, or even ride the train into Chicago for a weekend to get your fix. If nature and beach life truly doesn't do anything for you and you don't see that changing, I'm not going to pretend that you will want to stay in St. Joseph forever. But that doesn't mean you can't make the best of it and enjoy yourself. You will need to be willing to spend some time traveling, though.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:14 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,192,833 times
Well you are 2 hours from Chicago, 1hr 15 mins , from Grand rapids, 45 min away from Kzoo and south bend. During the winter you can get lake effect snow band that will drop 1 foot in 12 hours. Thanks to the beaches around the area it is a pretty good place to vacation during the summer. I would try to find some friends to show you around and hang out with.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:13 AM

5,247 posts, read 5,953,452 times
I relocated to Grand Rapids from a larger city and I ended up loving it. I can't speak for the st joe area. Although you are an easy ride to Chicago.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:56 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,762,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I'm pretty sure the OP is already taking a job in St. Joseph, so advising him to look at other options probably doesn't help much at this point.

It is hard for me to relate, because I live the rural life and nature is my biggest reason for enjoying Michigan.

It sounds like you will get bored with the entertainment options near St. Joseph pretty quickly. Your only options at that point, really, are to try to appreciate the natural beauty along Lake Michigan as much as you can, or be willing to get in your car and drive to places with more to do. Kalamazoo is a great medium-sized town and within a reasonable drive of St. Joseph. Obviously, it doesn't work very well to drive 40 minutes and back to go bar hopping, so you would have to figure out a way to manage that. Maybe plan trips once a month to Kalamazoo or Grand Rapids where you can stay in a downtown hotel room and enjoy the nightlife. Another option might be to take the Amtrak up to Holland occasionally just for something different, or even ride the train into Chicago for a weekend to get your fix. If nature and beach life truly doesn't do anything for you and you don't see that changing, I'm not going to pretend that you will want to stay in St. Joseph forever. But that doesn't mean you can't make the best of it and enjoy yourself. You will need to be willing to spend some time traveling, though.
I would second this. St Joe is great for young people in the Summer. Find someone who has a boat.

Plus, 30 miles away is Michigan City, where they have a direct commuter train to Chicago that leaves continuously all day and into the night, and it's pretty cheap. Look up some airbnb's in Chicago and make weekend trips there. From the Carroll Ave station in Michigan City to right downtown Chicago Millennium Park Station I think is $8.

Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District | It's that easy!

Old 06-26-2014, 09:31 AM

25 posts, read 40,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
I would second this. St Joe is great for young people in the Summer. Find someone who has a boat.

Plus, 30 miles away is Michigan City, where they have a direct commuter train to Chicago that leaves continuously all day and into the night, and it's pretty cheap. Look up some airbnb's in Chicago and make weekend trips there. From the Carroll Ave station in Michigan City to right downtown Chicago Millennium Park Station I think is $8.

Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District | It's that easy!
WOW! Will definitely look into this as I have friends in Chicago. Did not know it was so cheap to take a train into Chicago.

And yes, as someone mentioned I have already taken a job so I'd rather not leave before I even start my first day at work haha . I'll try my best to appreciate the nature but I'm praying for a light winter, although, I'm sure everyone that loves Michigan also love lots of snow! I would like to try some snowboarding but have very little experience. Anyone know where are some good places to go and learn?

Old 06-26-2014, 09:44 AM

5,247 posts, read 5,953,452 times
There are lots of good places to learn, I'd google for the nearest places in southwest Michigan for lessons. The good places are all in the north country. All the people that move here speak as if it's a constant blizzard from late october - March. You'll find the snow to be a little less dramatic

Old 06-26-2014, 12:36 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,561,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegegrad92 View Post
WOW! Will definitely look into this as I have friends in Chicago. Did not know it was so cheap to take a train into Chicago.

And yes, as someone mentioned I have already taken a job so I'd rather not leave before I even start my first day at work haha . I'll try my best to appreciate the nature but I'm praying for a light winter, although, I'm sure everyone that loves Michigan also love lots of snow! I would like to try some snowboarding but have very little experience. Anyone know where are some good places to go and learn?

I think the best place in that part of the state is probably Bittersweet, which is northwest of Kalamazoo. It is in the lake effect snow belt, so they get a good amount of snow there.

Looks like they have snowboarding lessons: skibittersweet : : home

Old 06-28-2014, 11:13 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,762,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I think the best place in that part of the state is probably Bittersweet, which is northwest of Kalamazoo. It is in the lake effect snow belt, so they get a good amount of snow there.

Looks like they have snowboarding lessons: skibittersweet : : home
There was another one too in that area called Timber Ridge, or as we lovingly called it "Timber Ditch." Not sure if it's still open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan