U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2014, 08:33 AM

49 posts, read 60,896 times

Advertisements

Yoopers, please tune in here and give me your thoughts about Crystal Falls as a place to live. Am desperately hoping to get away from the northern Lower Peninsula and all the crap that it's become over the past fifteen years, mainly due to an influx of big city people from Lower Michigan. The virus has even spread to the eastern UP.

I love the outdoors, winters, hunting, fishing and small town living. But I wonder if Crystal Falls is too small? Can a person live there without driving to a larger place for essentials?

I've lived above the Arctic Circle, so climate should not be a total shock.

Is Crystal Falls a friendly place? Or would an outsider be regarded as an alien from another planet?

Does it still have small-town shopping, or have the marts taken over retail business? Any family restaurants left, or have the chains knocked them out?

From what directions does the prevailing weather come at different times of the year in Crystal Falls? I'm hoping to avoid any air that might have passed over Chicago before reaching me

Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts. Look forward to your responses.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 08:13 AM

4 posts, read 3,848 times
LakeEffect2 -

If you dislike big city influence, you would like it here... in the winter. In the summer, the population doubles with the influx of tourists from WI, IL, IN... local business welcomes it, because without the summer tourist season most would go under.

Is CF too small? Depends on your definition of 'small'. Roughly 800 households, 1440 population. One grocery store. Two gas stations. One Dollar store. One hardware store. Downtown area that's half vacant. The largest employer is the nursing home. VERY small by my standards, but then I consider anything under 30,000 to be a small town. You'll have to travel to Iron River (15 mi.) or Iron Mountain (30 mi.) to do any shopping beyond basic foodstuffs. (Even then, the grocery store is small, run-down, dirty, poorly stocked, poorly managed... when I first visited I thought "ugh, gross, glad I don't have to buy all my food here".)

Is CF a friendly place? Well, I wouldn't say UN-friendly, but it definitely is clique-y. Nepotism runs rampant. If your parents didn't grow up here and live here their entire lives, you will forever be an outsider. Most natives here are related in one way or another to half the population. Seriously.

Like I said above, there is very little in the way of shopping, small-town or otherwise. The only chain store in town is the Dollar store (unless you count Ben Franklin... I didn't know those were even still around until I came here). There are, at last count, three small restaurants (one of which is a gross run-down greasy spoon diner that's basically locals-only - I won't go there anymore). None are chain restaurants - the nearest is the McD and KFC in Iron River, and that's about it. All but one of the three have changed hands recently, and at least three others have gone under in the last few years. If you want places like Olive Garden/Applebee's etc. you have to travel over 100 miles to Green Bay. In fact, any shopping even mid-scale and above (meaning beyond Walmart or Shopko), plan on a weekend excursion to GB.

Wind is the usual prevailing westerlies. Much more likely to get air from the Twin Cities than Chicago, and that's over 250 miles W/SW.

So: if you like snow, hunting, fishing, are not a social person, and don't mind travelling distances to buy provisions and ammo, CF is not a bad place to live. Personally, I'm counting the days until I retire and can leave here for the civilized world.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan